HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 19, 2012, 04:58 PM
Steens, MS
Joined Oct 2009
18 Posts
Nothing like landing on a "moving" runway!
rcnats is offline Find More Posts by rcnats
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:15 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,553 Posts
The new batts arrived today and I went with Nano Techs for the 12S set up. Looks good on the scale, going to 12S for both fans thats adding 4 more 8000mah cells to the plane only added 7oz. The Nano's are much lighter batteries than the Zippy's. I was thinking going to 12S was going to add a couple pounds..I will take the 7oz and like it..
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:41 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,162 Posts
Just 7 ounces for all that extra "blow" is a good trade off!

Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:52 AM
Tow Dog.
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,667 Posts
We're getting excited again, Andy!
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:23 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilatuspc12 View Post
We're getting excited again, Andy!
Me too!! Also going to open the exaust another 5mm to 85 for a little more static thrust.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:43 AM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
And that right there is how the Mars Climate Orbiter mission was lost. Maybe one day the US will catch up with the rest of the world and go metric
An exCanadian machinest grinder operator friend of mine used to say," The United States is the only country to ever put a man on the Moon and we did it using FEET and INCHES. " The rest of the world can eat our dust. The only thing weighed in kilos in America is imported drugs. Home grown is still measured in ounces and pounds as is Gold . They don't quote daily gold prices in grams now do they?. At least the U S got close enough to Mars to miss it.
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Last edited by alpea 41; Jun 21, 2012 at 02:58 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:53 AM
Caravan driver
Lanseria airport South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
And that right there is how the Mars Climate Orbiter mission was lost. Maybe one day the US will catch up with the rest of the world and go metric
I am actually standing up applauding!!
I am building an RV-7 in typical US imperial having grown up in commonwealth South Africa under the much simpler much better Metric system and I can honestly tell you the imperial system is to blame for a number of costly redo's and delays in this build.
When I need to buy something as simple as a small length of 4130 tubing I have to wait 3 weeks for it to arrive from the US because we don't stock imperial stock here.
wingnutzster is offline Find More Posts by wingnutzster
Last edited by wingnutzster; Jun 21, 2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 03:28 AM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,003 Posts
"Mission control Apollo Xl, 15 feet down , 3 feet right " and bingo," Tranquility base here . The Eagle has landed"
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Last edited by alpea 41; Jun 21, 2012 at 03:40 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:13 AM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,360 Posts
The metric guys are just jealous cause they want to be like us LOL.....
Reco is offline Find More Posts by Reco
Old Jun 21, 2012, 08:55 AM
United States, WI, Chetek
Joined Jul 2011
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEvolution7 View Post
If you wanna spend the money, talk to Larry at Southeast model. He makes some really nice stuff and has.some big electrics up his sleeve, from what I hear.
+1 on that. Just talked to him about electric retracts. Sounds like he really knows what he is doing.
JurassicJet is offline Find More Posts by JurassicJet
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:00 AM
United States, WI, Chetek
Joined Jul 2011
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutzster View Post
I am actually standing up applauding!!
I am building an RV-7 in typical US imperial having grown up in commonwealth South Africa under the much simpler much better Metric system and I can honestly tell you the imperial system is to blame for a number of costly redo's and delays in this build.
When I need to buy something as simple as a small length of 4130 tubing I have to wait 3 weeks for it to arrive from the US because we don't stock imperial stock here.
+10

It is very frustrating to have this imperial system. Once you use the metric system the imperial system is soooooo antiquated.
And this is coming from a guy that was born in and grew up in the good old Midwest of the US of A.
JurassicJet is offline Find More Posts by JurassicJet
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:12 AM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,493 Posts
Metric system is fine but I just don't want to have to relearn everything. US system (not imperial) is just second nature to me and anything metric means that I have to stop and rethink it. Stopping work and rethinking wastes time. It really comes down to what one is accustomed to and more comfortable working with.

Tony
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:39 AM
My cat moderates better
Australia, QLD, Worongary
Joined Apr 2011
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpfing View Post
Metric system is fine but I just don't want to have to relearn everything. US system (not imperial) is just second nature to me and anything metric means that I have to stop and rethink it. Stopping work and rethinking wastes time. It really comes down to what one is accustomed to and more comfortable working with.

Tony
It's actually quite a lot easier to work with in every way, as it makes far more sense and the units are simple base ten.
And they are also universal across the world so a litre is a litre - unlike a conventional gallon and a US gallon, etc.
BillzillaAus is offline Find More Posts by BillzillaAus
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:06 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,499 Posts
The history of the US Weights & Measures system is interesting.

Before our industrial revolution, Europe was more industrially advanced. To protect our emerging manufacturers we made it more difficult for European manufacturers to import their products by making everything different. e.g. they used 240V 60Hz, so we went with 120V 50Hz; round pin plugs and sockets, so we went with square pins, US gallon vs Imperial gallon, etc, etc.

Now that we are more industrially advanced, the rest of the world has gone metric and we are having difficulty exporting. Cie la vie.
awrightbrother is offline Find More Posts by awrightbrother
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:27 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,315 Posts
It is a moot point, but I will just add a little:

It is irrelevant the difficulties of learning the metric system; the number one reason the US is still on metric is simply the overwhelming financial costs of switching to metric.

Just considering the transportation industry alone, consider how many highway and street signs would have to be updated or replaced, the cost of those signs, the cost of the men installing them, and the amount of gas needed to get the job done. Those costs alone are more than our government can afford...
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop