HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:02 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
By the way what was the sound difference once you added the fan ducting walls / separator duct?
Hi Eddie,

Not sure but it may have a slightly smoother sound to it after the wall was put in. The numbers sure were better though

Currious to see what the new numbers are gona' be on 12S... The maiden was done on about 7500W total with nose gear hanging down, nose door open and nose back door open and acting like a speed break, also the right main only half retracted and main doors open prabbaly causing all kinds of drag so the extra 2000+ watts and a cleaned up airframe may be just what she needs for nice scale flight.

Ahhh ..to turbine or not to turbine, that is the question.. Either way she will finnish up the summer flying season in EDF configuration..and if she trades in her lipos for Jet A it would be a winter project.` I look forward to many EDF T-38 flights this summer.

Half tempted to solder up a harness and hook up 3 of my 4S 5000 mah packs just to get a ball park figure.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:04 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
while i think turbine is cool, i think it takes alot away from the achievment of this model. go edf! aside from the heat, theres fuel leaking issues too. i was just at a event, there was a number of guys with fuel issues, fuel everywhere. what a mess.
What a nasty stinking mess!!! Stick with the EDF's,,, you've already done a fantastic job Andy! and I'm sure your's will be too Nut!!!! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:06 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,828 Posts
Double post
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:07 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
Half tempted to solder up a harness and hook up 3 of my 4S 5000 mah packs just to get a ball park figure.
Andy, with 12s you`ll probably want to go to a 12s2p-10ah battery anyway. Your amps will be at leat 120 at full power, and 4ah per side won`t give much flight time with that much power.

A 12s 6.0ah per side is what I`d suggest. 50% more capacity and weight than the single 12s 8.0ah that you will be trying out, but I doubt you`d notice the weight.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:41 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Andy, with 12s you`ll probably want to go to a 12s2p-10ah battery anyway. Your amps will be at leat 120 at full power, and 4ah per side won`t give much flight time with that much power.
Yeah not to fly on just to test it to see what the fans put out at that cell count.

Just got done testing it at 12S.

I read that other guys with my medusa meter experienced the meter not reading anything higher than 107 amps and mine did just that. I just ordered a new watt meter rated for 130 amps and 6500 watts.

In the 12S test I just did with the 5000mah batts the meter stopped at 4500 watts and 107 amps and just stayed there so not sure what the actual numbers are. I would have to imagine the actual numbers are probably somewhere in the 5000 watts per fan region but not sure how many amps at this point. The new meter should tell the story.
Last edited by falcon5; Jun 16, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 03:17 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,540 Posts
OK i'll play turbine point counter point with ya

OK i'll play turbine point counter point with ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilatuspc12 View Post
. It sounds amazingly authentic on electric and you don't need a waiver or a type rating to fly it. That is the coolest part about it.
Randy

Already had a waiver once, I can easily get another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
while i think turbine is cool, i think it takes alot away from the achievment of this model. go edf! aside from the heat, theres fuel leaking issues too. i was just at a event, there was a number of guys with fuel issues, fuel everywhere. what a mess.

In 2002 I flew my turbine sport jet all summer and never spilled any fuel. I never considered the turbine jet as a big mess, actualy transitioning from nitro jets to turbine I found turbine quite clean. Fly a Byron F-16 with a Rossi 81 in it for a summer ...I can tell ya all about messy, !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepdog View Post
My 2C on the turbine issue - turbines = meh.

Don't get me wrong - nothing like the scale sound of a turbine, but they often seem to be just a "big hammer" approach in some instances.

Turbines just need money - yours needed finesse!
)

Although I do have an appreciation for the finesse aspect of the hobby a part of me likes the idea of "big hammer" horsepower ( as long as it's not pink) right ATIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
I agree! Stay EDF! With your airflow issues sorted you can close the thrust tubes down just a bit again to recover some of the efflux velocity and the extra 2 cells will take care of static / low end thrust. A little pinch of sugar and salt here and there and you are in business again for EDF

Had a great time flying turbine jets back in the day. Been longing for it again the last 10 years.

In my last 85 turbine flights I only had one flame out due my universal air trap cap coming loose but I was able to turn back and come in for routine landing.

This T-38 will be the perfect candidate. With it's light wing loading should a flame out occur the jet is very forgiving and provides great odds of a successful dead stick landing.
I like flying for 10 minuets, landing, filling the tanks and being able to go back up and fly for another 10min. I am kind of a stick junki..ask the guys that fly with me at the vegas event..they will tell ya I talk little..fly much and carry a big box of batteries...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltjg View Post
What a nasty stinking mess!!! Stick with the EDF's,,, .

I love the smell of jet fuel in the mornin, .... heck in the afternoon and evening too for that matter.
Last edited by falcon5; Jun 16, 2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:14 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,922 Posts
With the cleaned up ducting you might pick up 5 to 10 mph or more in speed. It makes no sense to not have it if you're worried about static thrust and you leave it out AND only have the two small inlets....no other air can get in anyway except maybe through your nosegear door (not sure haven't seen the innards). The center island/inner inlet wall keeps the eddy from happening in the central fuselage. Ducting is good! If you need more air, an aux inlet (a well integrated cheater hole) can always be added!
Good job Capt. Z!
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:22 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,922 Posts
If I can get motivated I might make my 65" long single Midi T-38 plan available, it'd take a lot of cleaning up the drawing and laying it out for printing on wide format paper.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:43 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,540 Posts
Cool Ed,

Yeah I hope you get your mojo back soon. You and P.Richards should head on up to the sticks here and we should get out to the lake bed for some flying. I scouted out a good slope soaring hill also, I need to try it out next windy day.

Z
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:31 PM
Tow Dog.
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,651 Posts
OK, Andy,

before you start burning that stinky stuff and come home smelling of that old fragrance, essence of Shjettay, this video might help persuade you to stay clean.

Eurofighter Typhoon RC Jet Big Scale Twin 127mm EDF Maidenflight (4 min 33 sec)
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:07 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilatuspc12 View Post
OK, Andy,

before you start burning that stinky stuff and come home smelling of that old fragrance, essence of Shjettay, this video might help persuade you to stay clean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXDsFmVcP7Y
..If they made a cologne of the stuff I would put a dab behind each ear every morning
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:11 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,266 Posts
Thats a great looking Eurofighter, but its half the weight of Andy's. Either way Andy, your T-38 looks beautiful. Cheers.
thedeuce is offline Find More Posts by thedeuce
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:09 PM
Tow Dog.
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
..If they made a cologne of the stuff I would put a dab behind each ear every morning
I know, it's a lost cause. It sounds like you already have turbine fever.
I still think the electric is cool.
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:47 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,419 Posts
hey andy there a thread on the EDF page about electric retracts for 44 lbs planes
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jun 17, 2012, 03:47 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
hey andy there a thread on the EDF page about electric retracts for 44 lbs planes
Hi Rodger,

Yep those are the ones I ordered. I got mine from Dreamworks RC. Those guys at Dreamworks are pretty fast, I ordered them on Wednesday and they shipped out Thursday, I should have them in a couple days. I got the high tourqe version. 5 second retract time instead 3 seconds due to a slightly lower gearing. I also got the model that has the built in steering for the nose gear. They look to be a quality set of gear.
Last edited by falcon5; Jun 17, 2012 at 03:53 AM.