Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:55 PM
Fly more Foam
United States, IN, Sellersburg
Joined Jun 2004
1,012 Posts
interest in a kit??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by awrightbrother View Post
Sure I can do I just for you, but it may be pricey. If more people are interested, it would become more reasonable.
Fahim
Allright guys, what kind of interest would there be for a EDF kit, CNC cut foam for maybe either a twin 70mm or single 90mm fan?????????

Bob's kit is first rate and fits the bill for either power system but it does have a steep price in comparison to what Fahim can do with his CNC foam.

My A10 kit from Fahim is a perfect example of this in that a fully molded plane from Chris Graham of similar size is as much as a small turbine and well worth the cost. Having a less expensive alternative but with some work added in on the customer side can be a big savings. After all this is a Hobby!!!!!!

So, what interest could there be for a LARGER than 70mm single type airframe?? An airframe that can be easliy converted to many variants in the T-38/F-5 family

Out of respect for Andy's build i started another thread in the Foam EDF forum here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post21901212

Feedback and interest being shown!!!!!! check it out! 6-15-12 sw
sam51401 is offline Find More Posts by sam51401
Last edited by sam51401; Jun 15, 2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: forward this post to new thread
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:28 PM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpfing View Post
. Andy, just curious, how would you insulate and protect the foam fuselage if you converted to a turbine. I keep having images of a melted pile of foam or ugly flames and a lot of black smoke. Best wishes on whatever you do!

Tony
Hi Tony,

I am doing some reaserch on it and picking the brains of some turbine guys and getting good info so far. I will have to do my homework but for starters one reply was.

"Its not the turbine you need to worry about, its the area around the pipe. If you dont have good airflow around the outside of the pipe you can get some pretty high radiant heat temps. The warmest outside fuselage temp I ever got was on a BVM t33 at the end of the pipe. It was pretty tight there and it got to about 142 F. I would probably get some thermal insulation and line the foam around the pipe and turbine exhaust cone. Keep as much clearance between the pipe and foam as possible. Remember that much less heat transfer takes place >1/8th inch from the source. Scotty "
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:41 PM
Antonio
South Italy
Joined Apr 2005
176 Posts
FAAANTASTICCC!!! WWOOWW!! Compliments!!!
AntonioF104 is offline Find More Posts by AntonioF104
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:41 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
Awesome Andy, I never doubted it would fly...GREAT THREAD and AWESOME CRAFTSMANSHIP. I am sure you have inspired many!!!
Well said Kevin, it inspired me to get back to work on my F22 and Mirage!
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Jun 15, 2012, 04:47 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,814 Posts
i finnaly got to watchthe video, man, it accelerated much better than the first couple tries! just cruizes around great! it looks to have a great presence in the air, and not far off the scale speed you would see one flying at in the pattern. that landing could be really slowed down, especially with flaps on the next try. man, what a beauty! all this exitement really got me cooked up on my build. this week i cut out all my control surfaces on wings and rudder, capped all of them with balsa, and shaped the balsa on the hinge area. adding the 1/2 balsa to the hinge line on the wing really stiffened it up. my whole way of building this has changed big time as far as how much beef im adding to the structure after seeing andy's fly. i really think i can hit 30 lbs with mine if i really watch the build, and ill have 9kw as well. should do well.

andy's upgrades in power and a few other things we talked about over the phone should really help andy's wake up on the performance side.

andy, how many mah did you put back after the flight?
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:57 PM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
! all this exitement really got me cooked up on my build. this week i cut out all my control surfaces on wings and rudder, capped all of them with balsa, and shaped the balsa on the hinge area. adding the 1/2 balsa to the hinge line on the wing really stiffened it up. my whole way of building this has changed big time as far as how much beef im adding to the structure after seeing andy's fly. i really think i can hit 30 lbs with mine if i really watch the build, and ill have 9kw as well. should do well.

andy's upgrades in power and a few other things we talked about over the phone should really help andy's wake up on the performance side.

andy, how many mah did you put back after the flight?

Hi Wingman,

Great progress report and keep us posted on your build.

Great talk on the changes to make and glad you got a chance to see the vid. Retracts shipped yesterday and the new batts shipped today. I can't wait to fly her again!!!
After landing the cells were 3.85 volts per cell on 8000mah packs and I left hem there seeing they were right at storage voltage, but from the other test runs and taxi test and such I did when they were at 3.8 volts per cell it took 4400 mah to get them to full charge for a ball park estimate. The flight was done with the throttle from 3/4 to full the whole flight.

Can you imagine two of these cruzing around in formation. Mine is soooo stable and solid in flight it should make a great formation bird.

Man if you hit 30 pounds as an AUW that would be Sweeeet!!! On a windy day you will have to add balast so it dosn't blow away....kidding
Last edited by falcon5; Jun 15, 2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:37 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,814 Posts
word up wingman. im super pumped and gaining momentum on my build. your bird will be a whole new story on 2 extra cells. maybe fly a tight pattern to get more bang for your buck too
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:57 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,258 Posts
yeah your laps were @ one min. you were way out there. did you see my post about nomex felt,if you lined the inside of your fuse with that and paint some of that ceramic that bvm sells that should take care of your heat issues. goggle nomex felt see if you can find some . we use a cerammic at work that looks just like the bvm stuff.he just sells it in a smaller bottle.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:12 PM
Mike
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Joined Jul 2003
939 Posts
Quote:
word up wingman. im super pumped and gaining momentum on my build. your bird will be a whole new story on 2 extra cells. maybe fly a tight pattern to get more bang for your buck too
Would love to see some pics and see the second one as it develops.
i12flyrc is offline Find More Posts by i12flyrc
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:16 PM
United States, WI, Chetek
Joined Jul 2011
525 Posts
A type of welding blanket or soldering blanket would potentially work to shield the foam from heat.
I have used them when using an open flame during soldering and it is amazing how they prevent heat transfer. I believe a lot of the blankets are ceramic based..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flame-Protec...item1e6f21b17e
JurassicJet is offline Find More Posts by JurassicJet
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:20 PM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
yeah your laps were @ one min. you were way out there. did you see my post about nomex felt,if you lined the inside of your fuse with that and paint some of that ceramic that bvm sells that should take care of your heat issues. goggle nomex felt see if you can find some . we use a cerammic at work that looks just like the bvm stuff.he just sells it in a smaller bottle.
Yeah the felt option looks like it will work nice. Reading up on how to make a thermal blanket. Looks like it should be no probblem to shield the foam from the heat..

Yeah first flight I took it real easy and was very gental with it so the laps were kind of wide. Not knowing how the bird would handel and knowing I was under powered I was makeing very shallow turns until I got a feel for her. It won't be the normal flight pattern on future flights.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:30 PM
Faith in Lift.
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,719 Posts
It looks good, Andy. I wouldn't put a Kerosene burner in there if I were you. It would defeat the whole purpose. The cool part is, with enough power, the bird will perform. It sounds amazingly authentic on electric and you don't need a waiver or a type rating to fly it. That is the coolest part about it.

Randy
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:58 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,814 Posts
while i think turbine is cool, i think it takes alot away from the achievment of this model. go edf! aside from the heat, theres fuel leaking issues too. i was just at a event, there was a number of guys with fuel issues, fuel everywhere. what a mess.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:18 AM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,875 Posts
My 2C on the turbine issue - turbines = meh.

Don't get me wrong - nothing like the scale sound of a turbine, but they often seem to be just a "big hammer" approach in some instances.

Now a guy that can scratch out a BIG jet with conventional EDF's (out of foam no less) that sounds sweet and fly's good - that guy gets my respect all the time every time.

Turbines just need money - yours needed finesse!

(although a foamy turbine is a BIG challenge....)
Hepdog is offline Find More Posts by Hepdog
Old Jun 16, 2012, 06:48 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,607 Posts
Quote:
while i think turbine is cool, i think it takes alot away from the achievment of this model. go edf! aside from the heat, theres fuel leaking issues too. i was just at a event, there was a number of guys with fuel issues, fuel everywhere. what a mess.
I agree! Stay EDF! With your airflow issues sorted you can close the thrust tubes down just a bit again to recover some of the efflux velocity and the extra 2 cells will take care of static / low end thrust. A little pinch of sugar and salt here and there and you are in business again for EDF

By the way what was the sound difference once you added the fan ducting walls / separator duct?
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member