HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:30 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2007
2,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam51401 View Post
Hey Fahim, i think I did request a T-38 kit since there are none around for electric and i would be glad to be first again. By time you have the prototype built and maiden, i will have the A10 finished and ball busting on the electric circuit.
Sure I can do I just for you, but it may be pricey. If more people are interested, it would become more reasonable.
Fahim
awrightbrother is offline Find More Posts by awrightbrother
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:39 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
its funny because andy kept saying he was super worried about the wing loading....i kept telling him it will be a kite....i think its even more of a kite than i originally thought haha. it sounds to fly alot like my 1/8 F-5....landed so slow i couldnt even use the flaps, and i bet this model is the same way. full flap will probably result in backwards landings in 10mph wind haha. its amazing how much the wind loading assumptions change the larger you get.
only 1060kv? thats the longer motor, and with the metal motor tubes you should be albe to run 12s no problem. maybe not in 110 deg summer heat, but should work great otherwise. youll have the canopies before the rest of your mods are done, so the next time you fly it, she'll be full house ready to rock.

stu has me thinking i might need to make ducts for mine....a little update on my t-38, i glassed half of the forward fuse, and didnt turn out how i wanted. the glass i was using sucked, so i pulled it off. i need to get some better glass for the fuse. i did some carving on my win/stabs and ill be ready to cut out control surfaces on the wings tonight, then its prep for carbon fiber cloth on those.
probably because most would just look at the wing loading numbers and alarms go off when they see a high number. they would consider the fact that with a larger wing, comes larger Reynolds numbers. lots of things to consider, other than wing loading, especially as the model size increases. I never commented about wing loading, cause I figured the model size would be more than ok.

what a fantastic model. I'de love to see it in person. the pictures don't do a model that size any justice at all. much better in person.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:00 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,606 Posts
First of all, let me add my congratulations to your maiden. I was much less concerned than many of the people on this thread about both your lower thrust and your greater wing loading because, as mentioned often, "bigger flys better".

There is actually science that explains that the larger the plane the higher the allowable wing loading, if anyone is interested in a thorough albeit lengthy explanation of this then you may want to read the following:

http://homepage.mac.com/kmyersefo/CWL/reynolds.htm

The downside of a large plane like this is that you fly HUGE circuits and once everything is all dialed in it will be strange to have flights that are 8-10 minutes long (extra long for an EDF) and still only encompass 4-5 circuits

Cant wait to see the new retracts in the plane and you putting it through it's paces!

Oh yeah, and if it wasn't mentioned (100 times) before, sweeet sound!!!

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:48 AM
Registered Plan-a-holic
Stonewall, MB, Can
Joined Jul 2004
2,872 Posts
Nicely done - congrats.
Hepdog is offline Find More Posts by Hepdog
Old Jun 14, 2012, 01:59 AM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam51401 View Post
Hey Fahim, i think I did request a T-38 kit since there are none around for electric and i would be glad to be first again. By time you have the prototype built and maiden, i will have the A10 finished and ball busting on the electric circuit.

Andy, You have given foam builders more to wish for and dream about. You build and flight and documentation has been truly first rate. Not only a true builder but a great contributer to the advancement of foam EDFs'.
My hats off to you Andy
Bob Fiorenze's T-38 kit.

http://www.rcaviation.com/fiorenze/
dpowellmeii is offline Find More Posts by dpowellmeii
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:33 AM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Jan 2009
1,260 Posts
Prepreg cloth

If using prepreg cloth would you only need to vacuum bag it and heat cure over the existing foam? It seems that this would be a lighter way than the traditional wetting down the cloth and potting the foam. There would be less soaking of the resin into the foam. Additional cost and storage of the prepreg is a factor. Also prepreg needs about 250 degrees to cure so watch out for the foam you use. You could probably make you own so cure is at a temp that will not melt the foam.

Note: Potting is applying CAB-O-SIL with epoxy resin to fill the pores of the foam. CAB-O-SIL thickens the epoxy so less resin is absorbed into the foam. It is also a bonding agent.
p901P901 is online now Find More Posts by p901P901
Last edited by p901P901; Jun 14, 2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:58 AM
Caravan driver
Lanseria airport South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicJet View Post
Hanging an aircraft from the tail and running it full power would be a really bad idea. If the aircraft weighed 35 lbs and you added 25 lbs of thrust you are talking 60 lbs of stress on the aft fuselage and empenage area.

Better to put I nice thick strap around it while sitting on the ground and use a fish scale for a static thrust reading. even a strap around the leading edge of the wings would be better IMHO.
I use a commercial digital baggage weight scale, from which you hang your bags to check their weight before flying....by fixing it to a simple wooden stand secured to the workshop floor I then hook the scale hook to line from a harness made to fit around the wing fuselage intersection
wingnutzster is offline Find More Posts by wingnutzster
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:28 AM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,642 Posts
Well in the end I decided to just make a few small changes to the plane and up the cell count to 12S, and just enjoy flying her for the rest of the summer. The retracts are ordered and I hope to have the o'l 38 back in the sky in a couple weeks.

I cracked a smile as I thought back almost 6 months ago to the day standing there in Kinko's in down town Las Vegas as I handed the lady behind the counter the disk with the T-38 three view drawing file on it and saying "two sets at 12 feet long please". Seeing the look on her face was priceless. Then watching as the industrial size printer was rolling out the giant drawings and people were walking by looking at it as the multiple 12 foot sheets of paper were strewn across the floor. I remember thinking oh my gosh, we are going to build.. THAT???
Then a week later driving back from Bishop, Ca. with six 8 foot long sheets of 1" thick blue foam hanging out the back of my truck bouncing around in the wind as I glanced at it in the rear view mirror thinking somewere in those 6 sheets of foam is a T-38 Talon
Yep,.. good o'l memories
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Last edited by falcon5; Jun 14, 2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:01 AM
Southwestern VA
Joined Nov 2009
476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
Well in the end I decided to just make a few small changes to the plane and up the cell count to 12S, and just enjoy flying her for the rest of the summer. The retracts are ordered and I hope to have the o'l 38 back in the sky in a couple weeks.

I cracked a smile as I thought back almost 6 months ago to the day standing there in Kinko's in down town Las Vegas as I handed the lady behind the counter the disk with the T-38 three view drawing file on it and saying "two sets at 12 feet long please". Seeing the look on her face was priceless. Then watching as the industrial size printer was rolling out the giant drawings and people were walking by looking at it as the multiple 12 foot sheets of paper were strewn across the floor. I remember thinking oh my gosh, we are going to build.. THAT???
Then a week later driving back from Bishop, Ca. with six 8 foot long sheets of 1" thick blue foam hanging out the back of my truck bouncing around in the wind as I glanced at it in the rear view mirror thinking somewere in those 6 sheets of foam is a T-38 Talon
Yep,.. good o'l memories
I can't read that post without cracking a smile. You're living the dream Andy!
jpbrimmer is offline Find More Posts by jpbrimmer
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:10 AM
Yank Pilot
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,694 Posts
Sounds great, Andy. That should give you some extra thrust your looking for. I guess it's not right to make a copy of a Renoir. I don't blame you and Brent for having the coolest jets on the planet. You guys will be the "Kings" at the "Ace in the Hole" in Vegas. Sounds like it's time to learn to work with foam.
Thanks for sharing your motivation.

Randy
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:24 AM
Yank Pilot
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,694 Posts
Andy, I know you must have scoured over many a piece of data on the T-38 but have you seen this video out of Beale AFB? I think it captures the essence of the Talon, IMHO.

My flying days in the T-38 (9 min 38 sec)
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Jun 14, 2012, 06:21 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,525 Posts
Pilatus, good video. Andy, just curious, how would you insulate and protect the foam fuselage if you converted to a turbine. I keep having images of a melted pile of foam or ugly flames and a lot of black smoke. Best wishes on whatever you do!

Tony
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: North Las Vegas 1971
Old Jun 14, 2012, 07:07 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,947 Posts
nomex felt! about 1/2" thick with alum tape on it
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:24 PM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,642 Posts
Two guys standing around down wind from the lake bed..Sniff snifff..do you smell somthin'? ..kinda smells like burning blue core, styro spray, cardboard oatmeal cartons and paint..I bet o'l falcon 5 put a turbine in that jet of his...
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Last edited by falcon5; Jun 14, 2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:41 PM
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Joined Mar 2004
94 Posts
Well done Andy, congratulations mate.

Only comment I have is, maybe next time, you should build a big one

Seriously but, thanks for putting this one up for us all to enjoy. As a scratchbuilder myself, I love following a thread like this one. I've gotten so many ideas from the creativity you guys are showing. Love your passion for the project.

Cheers
Steve

Oh, CN, pics mate, pics!
krypto71 is offline Find More Posts by krypto71