HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:32 PM
Florida
Joined Sep 2001
354 Posts
Great job, terrific subject and an outstanding EDF effort! Best of luck with it! How about joining us at Florida Jets later this year?

Rich
Rich Uravitch is offline Find More Posts by Rich Uravitch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:55 PM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
. you really think you can dump 8 lbs? what did you paint that thing with, led? lol. how much of that liquid sheeting reson did you use?

LOL, yeah pretty much..I experimented way too much before settling on a finish. I rememebr when the fuselage was bare foam and would pick it up and it felt realy light. Then I put a coat of polly and baby powder on it thinking a couple coats of polly and paint and be done with it. Imidietly it felt much heavier. Then I put some Durams water putty on it and did'n't like that so I tryed to sand that off, got most of it but that soaked in and it felt even heavier. Then came the Styro spray and more weight was added. Then I glassed some key structural areas with glass but most likely used way too much and added a ton of weight with that, Then I primed it with way too much primer, them came the paint..

If I didn't care much for finnish quality and made it a stand 10 feet away from it and it looks ok plane instead of the show finish I could possably break the 30 pound mark...maybe..

Bare foam airframe monocoat finish and use carbon fiber to reinforce were needed.

Make my EDF version just a desert rat jet but with realy good performance. So watching it fly you would never know it looked kinda rough until it landed and taxied in...then it would be oh...it's a giant foamy
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:42 PM
Swat Team Member
LV, NV
Joined Apr 2003
629 Posts
Congrats!

Great to see all of that hard work paid off, it looks excellent up in the air, looking forward to many great flights...

P. Richards aka SwatTeam
P. Richards is offline Find More Posts by P. Richards
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:49 PM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
LOL, yeah pretty much..I experimented way too much before settling on a finish. I rememebr when the fuselage was bare foam and would pick it up and it felt realy light. Then I put a coat of polly and baby powder on it thinking a couple coats of polly and paint and be done with it. Imidietly it felt much heavier. Then I put some Durams water putty on it and did'n't like that so I tryed to sand that off, got most of it but that soaked in and it felt even heavier. Then came the Styro spray and more weight was added. Then I glassed some key structural areas with glass but most likely used way too much and added a ton of weight with that, Then I primed it with way too much primer, them came the paint..

If I didn't care much for finnish quality and made it a stand 10 feet away from it and it looks ok plane instead of the show finish I could possably break the 30 pound mark...maybe..

Bare foam airframe monocoat finish and use carbon fiber to reinforce were needed.

Make my EDF version just a desert rat jet but with realy good performance. So watching it fly you would never know it looked kinda rough until it landed and taxied in...then it would be oh...it's a giant foamy
With all of that multiple finishing, a new fuselog (with all the experience from the first one) looks like it could be much lighter with careful use of carbon fiber tubes and light glassing (going light on the resin). There are other options but that seems like the least traumatic.
alexandermh is offline Find More Posts by alexandermh
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:50 PM
Allways the hard way!
South Africa, GP, Germiston
Joined Jan 2012
446 Posts
Falcon5, post #1612 will go down in my book as a hi-lite of rc-history...! Congrats.
georgy is online now Find More Posts by georgy
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:17 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,493 Posts
Congrats Rockstar!
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:13 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,296 Posts
Very very nice... makes me want to get cracking on mine!
Mine is juuuust a bit smaller, but seeing yours fly is all the inspiration I need

Again, Congrats!

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:38 PM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,644 Posts
Thanks guys!!. Vic I look forward to seeing your build. Funny it's only been 24 hours and I can't wait to fly her again..Even under powered it is a blast to fly.

Well I am closeing in on a new retract system.. All electric and rated up to 44 pound airplanes. A little spendy but I am reading good things about them so far.

Electron ER40 Hi Torque

http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/elec...ue-p-2483.html
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
is this the largest EDf to ever fly ? i cant think of a bigger one
Not quite as large as Peter Michel's "Airbus A330" and I don't know if it comes anywhere close to 33sq. feet, 37-45pound, 15-18Kwatt "Triptych" my latest design. Sorry USA, Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:07 PM
Fly more Foam
United States, IN, Sellersburg
Joined Jun 2004
973 Posts
New kit .......yes! Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awrightbrother View Post
Andy
Congratulations on a fabulous build and an awesome maiden.!!

The sound was unbelievable. If I didn't know I would swear it was a turbine.

I am half thinking of building one myself and kitting it too.

Fahim
Hey Fahim, i think I did request a T-38 kit since there are none around for electric and i would be glad to be first again. By time you have the prototype built and maiden, i will have the A10 finished and ball busting on the electric circuit.

Andy, You have given foam builders more to wish for and dream about. You build and flight and documentation has been truly first rate. Not only a true builder but a great contributer to the advancement of foam EDFs'.
My hats off to you Andy
sam51401 is offline Find More Posts by sam51401
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:38 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,876 Posts
Congrats. When I heard the Intro audio from the right stuff I tought you were going to show me a 144" long F104! Perhaps that's next?
Hope I can expect a similar sound from my new 110mm Stumax fans in my Learjet.
strictlyscale is offline Find More Posts by strictlyscale
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:14 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
Well I am closeing in on a new retract system.. All electric and rated up to 44 pound airplanes. A little spendy but I am reading good things about them so far.

Electron ER40 Hi Torque

http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/elec...ue-p-2483.html

I received a set of metal elec retracts from Tam recently. Have not had chance to use them yet, but understand Tam has larger ones up to 40-lbs, with replaced trunions for additional strength. They're a bit more expensive.

Phil
PhilLin is offline Find More Posts by PhilLin
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:31 PM
T-28C, Extra 300, Beast UMX
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Jumping on the bandwagon to say congrats! I am in MHV every other week supporting The Spaceship Company, would've come out to the lakebed to watch that.

Outstanding!
GimpyPilot is offline Find More Posts by GimpyPilot
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:09 PM
My cat moderates better
Australia, QLD, Worongary
Joined Apr 2011
554 Posts
My first post in this thread although I've been watching it for many months.
Big congrats, F5, you've done a fantastic job with it. I look forwards to watching many more flights from your Foam Overcast.
BillzillaAus is offline Find More Posts by BillzillaAus
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:13 PM
The blade numbers go up to 11
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,385 Posts
Andy, I'd be taking that fuselage and making a multi piece plaster mould off it. Get some long chopped glass fibres (like the stuff in chopped strand matt) and mix it with the plaster to make it strong. Instead of trying to make a giant mould, or even a front/rear section mould from glass which would be a ton of work, just mould sections and then glass them together later on. A plaster mould with a few coat of auto primer on the moulding surface, sanded and polished will work fine for a couple of fuselages (ie one for you and one for me :-) ) . You don't even have to worry about a joining flange or anything like that, just tape the bits together like a jigsaw puzzle and glass the joints. If you did it foam sandwich it would be even easier to assemble as the parts will be rigid in their own right.

Stu.
stumax is offline Find More Posts by stumax