HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:22 AM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
622 Posts
Wow, grampas thong and nut love! This thread is getting a little to personal, haha. Great build guys, amazing craftsmanship. Congrats on the maiden Falcon, that is one sweet bird.
dpowellmeii is online now Find More Posts by dpowellmeii
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:29 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
20,837 Posts
its funny because andy kept saying he was super worried about the wing loading....i kept telling him it will be a kite....i think its even more of a kite than i originally thought haha. it sounds to fly alot like my 1/8 F-5....landed so slow i couldnt even use the flaps, and i bet this model is the same way. full flap will probably result in backwards landings in 10mph wind haha. its amazing how much the wind loading assumptions change the larger you get.
only 1060kv? thats the longer motor, and with the metal motor tubes you should be albe to run 12s no problem. maybe not in 110 deg summer heat, but should work great otherwise. youll have the canopies before the rest of your mods are done, so the next time you fly it, she'll be full house ready to rock.

stu has me thinking i might need to make ducts for mine....a little update on my t-38, i glassed half of the forward fuse, and didnt turn out how i wanted. the glass i was using sucked, so i pulled it off. i need to get some better glass for the fuse. i did some carving on my win/stabs and ill be ready to cut out control surfaces on the wings tonight, then its prep for carbon fiber cloth on those.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:50 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,505 Posts
Sounds great Brent.Yeah your so right on the size/wing loading thing. When handling the airplane, picking it up, moving it from place to place I think no way..it's a brick, if it fly's it will be on the edge..But the flight characteristics are just amazing. I have flown models before that gave a feeling of flying on the edge and one false move will result in tip stall or falling out of the sky in some way. By the time the T-38 finishing it's first lap around the lake bed I just knew from how it responded that she had forgiving trainer like qualities. My landing was no flap and no wind and she landed like a feather. Put in some flap and a 10MPH breeze and yeah I bet it would just float right in.

I think the photo of it leaning up against the house puts things into perspective on why it has those qualitues...it's HUGE!!!
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:35 AM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,505 Posts
Kinda crazy but another optition would be to go 12S and build just another fuselage section and focus on building it light light light and shed about 8 pounds, and build in full proper ducting. So in the end I would have two fuselages, one set of wings and one canopy that would be interchanable. Present fuselage convert to turbine, so in the end there would be a 32 pound 12,000 watt EDF version, and a 41 pound turbine version. If I want to fly the turbine version take the same wings and canopy but take the turbine fuselage, want to fly EDF, grab the EDF fuselage.

Looking at my build logs I could theroeticly carve out a new fuselage in about 5 weeks, build proper ducting another 4 weeks, get it all set up and dialed in another 3 weeks, Hmmm ...could have the EDF version done in about 2 1/2 months.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:57 AM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
That's the ticket, loose some weight (the plane not you). :-)
alexandermh is offline Find More Posts by alexandermh
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Nov 2006
88 Posts
Friggin awesome, and beautiful job. You sir, deserve the technical acheivement of the year award. My hat is off to you. Now if you decide to sell a production model, put my name on the list.
tyates5445 is offline Find More Posts by tyates5445
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:56 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
20,837 Posts
well that would put us both done around the same time. you really think you can dump 8 lbs? what did you paint that thing with, led? lol. how much of that liquid sheeting reson did you use?

yeah, the shot against the house really puts the size out there. im too used to seeing it one section at a time at my house, i really havnt had it all together in a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
Kinda crazy but another optition would be to go 12S and build just another fuselage section and focus on building it light light light and shed about 8 pounds, and build in full proper ducting. So in the end I would have two fuselages, one set of wings and one canopy that would be interchanable. Present fuselage convert to turbine, so in the end there would be a 32 pound 12,000 watt EDF version, and a 41 pound turbine version. If I want to fly the turbine version take the same wings and canopy but take the turbine fuselage, want to fly EDF, grab the EDF fuselage.

Looking at my build logs I could theroeticly carve out a new fuselage in about 5 weeks, build proper ducting another 4 weeks, get it all set up and dialed in another 3 weeks, Hmmm ...could have the EDF version done in about 2 1/2 months.
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:58 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,598 Posts
What's the exhaust diameter again?

Regards
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:02 PM
Oshkosh, WI
Joined Nov 2002
2,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
Sounds great Brent.Yeah your so right on the size/wing loading thing. When handling the airplane, picking it up, moving it from place to place I think no way..it's a brick, if it fly's it will be on the edge..But the flight characteristics are just amazing. I have flown models before that gave a feeling of flying on the edge and one false move will result in tip stall or falling out of the sky in some way. By the time the T-38 finishing it's first lap around the lake bed I just knew from how it responded that she had forgiving trainer like qualities. My landing was no flap and no wind and she landed like a feather. Put in some flap and a 10MPH breeze and yeah I bet it would just float right in.

I think the photo of it leaning up against the house puts things into perspective on why it has those qualitues...it's HUGE!!!
This proves again that the laws of physics do work

The ^3/2 rule says that a 41-lb,1/4 scale T-38 w/ 10.5sq-ft wing wud behave like a 31-oz/sq-ft heavy iron model w/ 5sq-ft (ca 720sq-in) or 15.6-oz/sq-ft 600 sq-in model; both are relatively low wing loadings. IIRC, this rule did appear in an ama magazine. Just think a full scale 747 has in the order of 200+-lbs/sq-ft, IIRC; or 3200-ozs/sq-ft

Phil

ps: Maybe you'd want to go on to your next build instead of making its wing loading any lighter than it already is?
PhilLin is offline Find More Posts by PhilLin
Last edited by PhilLin; Jun 13, 2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: add ps
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:15 PM
Nelson, B.C.
Joined Jun 2008
149 Posts
Nice job Andy! Let us not forget Jetset and his terrific designs and techniqes.
chumbly is online now Find More Posts by chumbly
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined Aug 2008
451 Posts
Nicely Done!!!! Just a REALLY GREAT PROJECT! EXCELLENT!

Please keep the updates coming.

al
rossaer is offline Find More Posts by rossaer
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:22 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erh7771 View Post
What's the exhaust diameter again?

Regards
80mm for the maiden
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:26 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,011 Posts
Brent pop for some good cloth 3.6 or 5.8 (plain weave)with a layer of 2oz. on top.i told you that 120 stuff suckskids these days ...tell him gramps
Andy i think you could get the fuse lighter,by doing a glass foam glass sandwich.maybe even 1/2" thick foam would work in some areas.if you do the plugs i'll lay up some ducts for you that thing would rock if you lost 8 lbs.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:37 PM
SidGates
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Feb 2006
114 Posts
Knife - Thanks I posted from the video and couldn't find the built thread at that time.
sidgates50 is offline Find More Posts by sidgates50
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:44 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jan 2006
328 Posts
WOW!!! I don't log on for 1 day and look what I missed. AWESOME!!! I sent the video to mom and she is so proud of you.
All kidding aside...WELL DONE and CONGRATULATIONS!!!
skyracer068 is offline Find More Posts by skyracer068