SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:44 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,528 Posts
Wow, Andy! That was just terrific. Rotation was a little quick but looks like you put the nose right back down nicely. And that landing!! Looks just like the real thing. Brings back memories! And now the 'nay-sayers' can eat crow. Looking forward to more test flights and flight reports and videos. Thanks for sharing!

Tony
tpfing is online now Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: North Las Vegas 1971
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:56 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Wow!! Just freekin awesome! ! All bow down and praise the new king of edf land! !!
+1, not many words express what I thought after seeing the vid.

Cheers,
Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:18 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Full credit to you mate! Must be great feeling after all the pressure. And what a flying facility, I'm jelous. Sory for being negative in some of my posts, but after figures you have posted I never believed it would fly. I still think its bit of a flying brick at your w/loading and power but the main thing you are happy with it. These wide angle cameras don't really give the true picture of the performance or speed, like to see it zoomed in closer. What does it actually pull static on the ground? Did you test it? Model of this caliber I would never like to fly with just marginal power, it can bite back very quicly.
To earlier posts, I always hook the light string around the main gear to the dig. scale to check the static thrust, I find it the easiest way. In the real flight you always get more then the scale shows. With the smaller models just hold it vertically to see if it holds its weight. Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:20 PM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,644 Posts
Bummer on the you tube block there wingman. Here are a couple blury stills.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:20 PM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
Congrats man. Size does matter. That sound during the fly-bys is just awesome.
alexandermh is offline Find More Posts by alexandermh
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:26 PM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,435 Posts
Andy:
Want to offer my congrats on the maiden. Really great job on the build and flight.

Ed
A10pilot is online now Find More Posts by A10pilot
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:36 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,876 Posts
Way to go Andy!!!

To finally fly a scratch built jet is a reward like no other. Fantastic build, beautiful maiden flight.

...I would have taken off work too.

Julian
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:40 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Outstanding. I'm no expert but judging by the way that thing leapt off of the ground, I would say it has plenty of lift. Even though it was underpowered.

What was a majority of the flight in terms of throttle position? Dieing to know more details. How was responsiveness going back downwind?? how much above stall do you estimate you touched down at?? How much weight are you going to gain with the proposed upgrades in power and gear??

Thanks for sharing, that was really something to see, and +1 for a regular camera, or 2nd trip, I would propose that keycam be mounted on the tail if the a videographer is difficult.! Keep them coming.

Pat
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:52 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
CONGRATS ANDY!!!!!!! What a sweet flying plane, your an awesome craftsman buddy!!! Now',,,,,,,, Break out the Margaritasssss!!!!!!!!!! . W.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:04 PM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
What was a majority of the flight in terms of throttle position? . How was responsiveness going back downwind?? how much above stall do you estimate you touched down at?? How much weight are you going to gain with the proposed upgrades in power and gear??

Pat
Throttle was 3/4 to full the whole flight.

Resposivness back down wind was fine, didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

I estimate I touched down well above stall but that will be tested thoughly on future sorties.

Weight gain should be minimal on the future modifications, maybe a couple pounds at the most. The plane did not give a feeling of bairly hanging on, like it was on the verge of falling out of the sky or anything..it had a very solid stable feel to it and gave a feeling like she had an extreamly forgiving nature to her but I will proceed with caution as I verify this on future flights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltjg View Post
CONGRATS ANDY!!!!!!! What a sweet flying plane, your an awesome craftsman buddy!!! Now',,,,,,,, Break out the Margaritasssss!!!!!!!!!! . W.

Right on Walt!!! read my mind
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:05 PM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,644 Posts
Thanks to the Crew.

Thanks again guys for all the kind words. and I got to thinking how many of you all had a hand in this airplane being able to be flown. Like links in a chain, one link breaks and it could mean the difference between congrats and sorry for your lose.. From Ron101 and the electrical gurus telling me about ripple current and how many and what rating caps to put in, Brent designing the wings and stab, Rodger informing me about ducting, and so many others from wheel bearings to where the rotation point of the flying stab should be, J Morgan on the best way to sheet a wing, others with glassing techniques and what's the best glue to use on foam, and so on.

So thanks again for the words, with all the congrats and well wishin' I thank you, but right back at ya,..to the entire T-38 crew. all 188 of ya!!! ( Yeah I counted)
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:07 PM
GLMS
Michigan
Joined Jan 2007
570 Posts
Congrats Andy, awesome video thank you.
mav913 is offline Find More Posts by mav913
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:11 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,211 Posts
Congrats, well done, a very incredible achievment
Ken Lapointe is online now Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:13 PM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,644 Posts
Got a request for a short version vid loaded to viemo..here ya go,

Untitled (0 min 43 sec)
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:24 PM
Yank Pilot
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,694 Posts
Good Job, Congratulations, Andy! Boy, that flying site you fly at is perfect for the test flight. Maybe why they started Muroc Dry Lake? I'm glad you got it up and down in one piece.
It looks like a sweet flying and sounding bird and it seems you may have sparked a few of us over to EDF!
Where does one start?!
Outstanding and we'll stay tuned for further testing.

Randy
Pilatuspc12 is online now Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Last edited by Pilatuspc12; Jun 12, 2012 at 07:37 PM.