Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 03, 2012, 03:01 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
I think I'm with Roger on the glass, and it would be glass and epoxy, not wbp... This guy is big and will need the strength I think... Awesome project Andy!!!! where did you get such good 3 views? w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2012, 03:12 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,552 Posts
Thanks Walt,

Got the 3 views from Ed Waldrep, he got them from a web site that I think he said was down at the moment.

I could pound a stake in the ground next to the plane and chain up this cute little fella to reduce the finger nail tapping.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Jan 03, 2012, 03:21 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,680 Posts
Wow you guys are artist with foam, it would've taken me 3 months to get this far with any type of detail.

What is "tri stock"?

Thx
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jan 03, 2012, 04:06 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,162 Posts
Pretty damned sweet Andy!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jan 03, 2012, 04:29 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,134 Posts
Not that I'm an authority on T-38's but I've made several big (85") foam planes and I've had extremely good luck glassing 0.6oz glass cloth over bare pink and blue foam. It really does make the model "permanent". One of my glassed foamies is 12 years old and still looks like a molded glass airplane, not like a foamie at all. And it's light. Tons of strength in the stressed skin structure a glassed surface gives. But I'll tell ya, you are going to have some hours of sanding ahead of you if you glass the whole enchilada. But since you are doing the wings and tails anyway, why not take the hit and just do it!
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2012, 04:54 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
I was being nice and not mentioning the sanding! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jan 03, 2012, 05:00 PM
United States, IL, Edwardsville
Joined Dec 2011
243 Posts
Love this project! I have 998 flights in the T-38. It was a great flying airplane!

I am new to this forum, but I have to raise my hand on the Polycrylic. I just did a depron project with .5 oz glass cloth and Minwax Poly. It was probably the most appropriate finish for my model but I was a little dissapointed. The finish was not as light as I thought it would be and the Poly was soft relative to epoxy or polyester resin.

My $.02 definitely glass with either 3/4 or 1 oz and open up the checkbook to West Systems or the like and get a good base of epoxy/glass on this beast! It will look great and wear much better than the minwax. Done properly the weight difference over minwax/glass should be negligible.

Can't wait to see the maiden video!

Fitz
flyingfitz737 is offline Find More Posts by flyingfitz737
Old Jan 03, 2012, 05:23 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,762 Posts
im going to glass the outside of the fuse with 3/4 oz and use 8oz glass in structural areas that will need it. i want to build this plane strong enough to possibly use a turbine in it at some point....
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jan 03, 2012, 06:06 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,609 Posts
you better get on the stick ....Andy is ready for the canopy . i think an elec sander could make quick work of the sanding once sealed with 2 coats of epoxy if you brushed on some feather fill it would be pretty easy to sand ,just have to make sure the feather fill does'nt get on the foam through pins holes and such.wish somebody made an epoxy primer sufacer as good as feather fill .maybe you could make your own by mixing talc powder with it ...feather fill is a polyester resin so it stinks too ...so dont use it any where near your house. hey Andy i think that dog would help ...as long as he does'nt bite it
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jan 03, 2012, 06:10 PM
United States, IL, Edwardsville
Joined Dec 2011
243 Posts
I just researched vendors that sell glass cloth on the roll. Thayercraft and Polymer Products were both very helpful. Thayercraft had a wider selection of lightweight cloth.
flyingfitz737 is offline Find More Posts by flyingfitz737
Old Jan 03, 2012, 06:35 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,552 Posts
Well I dug out some boxes and blew off the dust and took inventory of my glass cloth. looks like I have:

8 yards of 2oz.
3 yards of 3/4 oz.
4 yards of ? mystery cloth.

I may have to order the proper weight cloth, and get the right kind of epoxy resin.

dang I knew never glassing my other builds would come back to haunt me. I may have a learning curve with the glassing. I better practice on something else before trying it on this plane.
Old Jan 03, 2012, 06:43 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,552 Posts
Good info Fitz and Rodger, Thanks
Old Jan 03, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Jan 2012
35 Posts
I looked at that for like... 10 Minutes just looking at it. Very,Very, Very, intresting.
Neverfail2 is offline Find More Posts by Neverfail2
Old Jan 03, 2012, 07:47 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
Not that I'm an authority on T-38's but I've made several big (85") foam planes and I've had extremely good luck glassing 0.6oz glass cloth over bare pink and blue foam. It really does make the model "permanent". One of my glassed foamies is 12 years old and still looks like a molded glass airplane, not like a foamie at all. And it's light. Tons of strength in the stressed skin structure a glassed surface gives. But I'll tell ya, you are going to have some hours of sanding ahead of you if you glass the whole enchilada. But since you are doing the wings and tails anyway, why not take the hit and just do it!
PLEASE PLEASE do a vid on how to get the glassing like this, I've seen the thin glassing on an 8ft airliner and not only was it tough but it was dirt resistant which was surprising cause I thought any glassing would attract dust like no tomorrow. The airliners AUW was only 8lbs!! My smaller EPO DC-10 was 9lbs and mushy...

There have been post on how to get a good thin light glassing on foam but there's no vids, it seems like there's more art to the technique than science and a vid would do a lot of people some good.
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jan 03, 2012, 07:56 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
dang I knew never glassing my other builds would come back to haunt me. I may have a learning curve with the glassing. I better practice on something else before trying it on this plane.
No way, you'll see. Glassing is EEEEEasy. We all started somewhere, but let me say that in fact my very first try, I was very satisfied. With your building skills you will be in fine shape! Check out this technique:

http://www.tompierce.net/SBD/html/paint/glasswing.htm

Except I now almost exclusively use epoxy resin; laminating West Systems resin thinned with denatured alcohol. Sanding sealer over the wood, if you are glassing wood, is a nice option as it's lighter than epoxy resin and the sealer keeps the wood from soaking it in.

Denatured alcohol is going to slightly reduce the strength of the epoxy but this is not critical, the glass covering is still very strong, about 1.5 times the shear strength of water based polyurethane glass and it's very light still and much easier and lighter to apply thinned. But I've used water based polyurethane a lot in the past and I've never been disappointed, I just favor epoxy now.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member