HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:59 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,055 Posts
Very very cool! Good job of breaking down the lack of power.

This may be one of those planes that you get up to speed, then retract the gear to become airborne. JK
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knife Liddle; Jun 11, 2012 at 01:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:05 PM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
one fan to compliment the other while degrading itself.
Sounds a lot like my X marriage
Knife Liddle is offline Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:10 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,309 Posts
Cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:17 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Sounds a lot like my X marriage
And the divider I put between the fans will be like their divorce.. I told them that's it..I have had it up the here...if you two fans can't get along I am building a wall between you
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:31 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,013 Posts
man, that is really interesting. its like one fan is stealing the air from the other. i knew i could hear serious turbulance in the fans from the first video.

so i guess no more maiden attemps until this next weekend? i would make a v shaped wall that runs all the way to the inlets, there by completely sealing them from each other.

i should have 4500W per side on mine im hoping. man, after all this stuff, i might just have to make some ducts for mine. we'll see how yours does first though mister lab rat lol
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:37 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,354 Posts
Quote:
And the divider I put between the fans will be like their divorce.. I told them that's it..I have had it up the here...if you two fans can't get along I am building a wall between you
Wow! Exactly what my dad did to me and my sister when we were ~10 years old...
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:40 PM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
Congrats. Still a good day. You got some more useful data and a way forward. As they say, the best place to find the problems is while you are still on the ground. :-) It's looking good on the video.
alexandermh is offline Find More Posts by alexandermh
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:40 PM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
Wow! Exactly what my dad did to me and my sister when we were ~10 years old...
Because of the turbulence between you two?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:41 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,354 Posts
Quote:
Pass 3 and 4 if you look close I am able to lift the nose off the ground with about 3/4 elevator. These passes are with fan 2 running 1000Watts short so once corrected and with a grand of watts more i think she will fly
You know something? You are not going to regret holding off and getting this resolved. Besides, all those high-speed runs will be so much helpful in actually taking off. You will feel comfortable with the take off all the way to the roll, and then, when you feel comfortable, just add a little more throttle and a little (just a little) more elevator, and your maiden will begin, with you feeling more confident. You spent a lot of time building it. Don't lose it to impatience... Ask Lee--I've been working on my Yellow F-18 for two years now, and I am not planning on flying it for at least one more year, until I feel confident enough.
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:55 PM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
Regarding the unequal power, there are probably some smart guys out there on this one, but I was just thinking. The numbers are pretty much the same when running solo, so it is unlikely that this disparity is caused by your electronics or your inlets/outlets (although out of an abundance of caution I'd be checking those as well). But if both fans are turning the same direction, you are probably getting some funky unequal vortex pressures on one side between the fans and the intake walls. It would seem the best way to equalize all of that would be to consider Corsair Nut's way forward and have a divider all the way to the front. Just a thought. But you are treading new ground and we are all enjoying the ride. :-)
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:04 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandermh View Post
Regarding the unequal power, there are probably some smart guys out there on this one, but I was just thinking. The numbers are pretty much the same when running solo, so it is unlikely that this disparity is caused by your electronics or your inlets/outlets (although out of an abundance of caution I'd be checking those as well). But if both fans are turning the same direction, you are probably getting some funky unequal vortex pressures on one side between the fans and the intake walls. It would seem the best way to equalize all of that would be to consider Corsair Nut's way forward and have a divider all the way to the front. Just a thought. But you are treading new ground and we are all enjoying the ride. :-)

Darn, beat me to it. I was typing up a post about that >

Anyway he's probably right, because they're spinning the same direction....

Adding the wall to 'divorce' them will probably fix it.
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:07 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2006
738 Posts
I think it has been previously said and I'm no expert but I would definitely separate the fans completely. Looking great, keep up the good work.
dpowellmeii is offline Find More Posts by dpowellmeii
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:18 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Dec 2005
254 Posts
Falcon

Can you supply some close up shots of the inlets, especially at the fan interface. You do have a good radius on any edges, correct? The larger the radius the better, but I would suggest no smaller than 1/2 radius for these fans. The lip where the fan meets the inlet needs to be smooth as possible, any little edge will set-up vortices that reduce fan efficiency.

For this bird you can not afford to cut any corners. You are doing good, keep pushing forward.

Peace, Wolf
bd5wingnut is offline Find More Posts by bd5wingnut
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:23 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,564 Posts
AAHaaaa dang what would I do without you guys...never thought of that ...both fans turning the same direction and creating a wierd vortex.. you guys are good. I filed for fan divorce an hour ago...divorce should be finnal tonight or tomorrow. with both fans sucking their own independent wind .
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:29 PM
Capt. Z
Tonopah, Nevada
Joined Dec 2004
2,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd5wingnut View Post
Falcon

Can you supply some close up shots of the inlets, especially at the fan interface. You do have a good radius on any edges, correct?
Well here is what the fans sit in. Stu Maxwell did say that he would like to see my inlets a little less sharp were the air first enters the fuselage.