HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:33 PM
SKI
United States, IL, South Roxana
Joined Dec 2012
11 Posts
Tail rotor blade

Anyone tried the blade swap for the SO33G with a E-flite (EFLH 1122) ? Larger, no cutting , no taping, no glueing. Use a #2 x 1/2 inch button head screw to attach it with.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200850398789...84.m1423.l2649
ski3104 is offline Find More Posts by ski3104
Last edited by ski3104; Dec 04, 2012 at 11:38 PM. Reason: link add
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:46 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
Hello all. My wife bought me one of these for christmas (it was an early christmas, I found it last weekend). I loved it for a couple of days, then started wanting more! I tried the double tail rotor, but honestly didn't see too much of an improvment. So I started toying with it and here's what I've come up with.
- upgraded tail motor to a bigger motor out of another chopper I have, left the dual rotors
-lost one set of the flybar weight
-wired in a connector so I can use it with my iMax B6 balance charger (40 minutes tops charging time now)

Flys like a bat outta hell now, completely different bird. More than capable of light winds also. Ill upload a video when I get a chance.
bamaduc is offline Find More Posts by bamaduc
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:35 PM
United States, GA, Winder
Joined Dec 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwatchman View Post
Hope this works. I am sending pictures of the mods I did. Pancake tail rotor, antenna redo, toggle switch mounted to shut off LED for daytime flight. Also, one picture of the package for the spacer used to make the double tail rotor. Spacer purchased from Tractor Supply store, less than a buck.

I'm new to the board and wanted to say Thank You! I just did the tail mod and added some weight to the front. This thing flys 100% better now, you sir are a genius.
Winder Mike is offline Find More Posts by Winder Mike
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:58 PM
United States, GA, Winder
Joined Dec 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrb63 View Post
Hi I went to TSC an could not find the spacers, could you send me an email with the part numbers. will get the heil monday an though I would do the mods befor I try to fly it. I think raido shack will have the switch. email rrbrown63@yahoo.com Thanks

My TSC did not have them either, got mine at Home Depot- Lowes has them also

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UOd6XOToSDo

http://www.lowes.com/pd_136887-37672...cer&facetInfo=
Winder Mike is offline Find More Posts by Winder Mike
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:52 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
making it go forward

I think you guys are barking up the wrong tree; by adding an extra tail rotor, you make the ship more tail heavy (!) and that small motor has to work much harder. Plus it doesn't really work all that well.
What I did, was to take both tail fins off, they are just decoration anyway. This lightens the tail. Next, I shifted the centre of gravity further forward but sticking a lump of Bluetack to the nose. In addition, I refined the tail rotor a little by sanding the blades (carefully) to an approximate airfoil shape. The whole thing worked a treat, first time up!
aholmen is offline Find More Posts by aholmen
Old Jan 16, 2013, 05:38 AM
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Just wanted to post the mods I have done to my Syma s033g. I have the v2 s033g with the 1500mAh 2S battery.

1) Added weight to the nose (now weigthed forward instead of backward)
2) Changed the battery connectors to Deans plugs.
3) Got a second battery (1700mAh 5C change capable) - Already had a balancing charger.
4) Added a second tail blade (6x4) propeller (used a spacer and a rubber band to mount. Could mount a larger one if required).
5) Changed the TX to Mode 2 by moving the rudder control to the left stick (no soldering required). Now left stick is throttle and rudder and right is just pitch control.

As a result:
- 8+ min fly time. 30 min recharge time.
- Can fly into a 5mph (7.5kph) breeze (have not tried stronger yet).
- Controls are the same as all my other helis (minus the roll control). I have 4ch and 6ch helis I also fly.

It's fun to fly, but does not get as much air time as my other helis. Worked on this till it was at a "fun to fly" status as it was my first heli.
ArchmageAU is offline Find More Posts by ArchmageAU
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:14 PM
Kipp G
Dixon, Ca.
Joined Mar 2004
166 Posts
Tail rotor alternative

So I just bought an APC 4.1 X 4.1prop every hobby store sells them for about $2.19 I put the smaller of the two adapters in that they come with, then drilled it out just enough that I could slip it over the tail rotor shaft real tight. You won't even need a screw. I'll add a photo. Cheers
kipp geisler is offline Find More Posts by kipp geisler
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:17 AM
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
11.1v Battery?

Hi all,
First time poster and new to RC helis. Great forum.

I received the S033G about a month ago and swopped out the 7.4v battery with an LiPo 3S 11.1v 25C and could not get the heli of the ground.
It cuts out as soon as it starts lifting.

How much success have you had with similar batteries? Can you think of anything that can cause this?
If I put the 7.4v battery back, it flies without any issues.

Thanks
kma_jg is offline Find More Posts by kma_jg
Old Dec 29, 2013, 07:53 PM
United States, TX, Cleburne
Joined Dec 2013
2 Posts
landing skid busted

I just bought my son the so33g, we are both new to rc helis, he got it off the ground and crashed it busting the landing skid, i epoxied it and on next try hit the ground again and broke the opposite side, this was even in the grass in our back yard, while repairing skids both times I have notice the plastic is very weak!!! Does anyone have a solution for this?
cheap toys is offline Find More Posts by cheap toys
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:23 PM
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Jul 2014
30 Posts
I used lower rotor set from a coaxial micro chinook. press fits on to original perfectly. Tightening blade screws makes it rigid and still has some "give" in case it hits anything. Works great!
bvrrocks5150 is offline Find More Posts by bvrrocks5150
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:33 PM
Joined Jul 2014
30 Posts
Doubled-up on the rotors just for fun... modified for press fit. Used upper rotor hub with other set of lower rotor blades for pitch matching to original rotor. Haven't field tested this "quad" tail rotor yet, but tried it in garage... full forward stick pitches the thing pretty hard forward and I had to back off real quick before It hit a wall. Haven't done antenna mod yet, but unwinding original antenna and letting it dangle under S033G works good till I have time to do it right.
Last edited by bvrrocks5150; Jul 28, 2014 at 11:42 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 08:18 PM
Joined Jul 2014
30 Posts
After a trip to the r/c shop.... bought a good prop, removed blades and hand machined original hub down smooth... bored prop to press fit onto hub and with a drop of super-glue, is now solid. This is adapted from a post by Kipp G, just taken a step further. Rain is currently stopping a field test, but with bird idling on garage floor, full forward put bird on it's nose in short order.
Old Aug 02, 2014, 06:23 PM
Joined Jul 2014
30 Posts
Successful field test with S/F 3 series Master Airscrew 7in. prop for tail rotor... works great, S033g will actually move reasonably fast and deal with a little wind... compared to stock configuration. Be careful though, overly aggressive maneuvering will cause main rotor blades to slap resulting in stall... probably due to fly-bar lag during fast pitch changes. Antenna mods having no effect, only thing that seems to work well for this one is stock antenna hanging loose under s033g. Length changes and/or wrapping wire around skids only causes previous radio errors. Looking to upgrade receiver to 2.4g ... hopefully I can find one that will bind with my Spektrum DX4e radio that came with my Blade 120sr.
Old Aug 08, 2014, 05:17 PM
Joined Aug 2014
1 Posts
I bought a blade like you said on eBay for under 7 dollars and free shipping. It came with the gears too, but I just switched blades. They are much larger and just holding the copter I can feel the tail lift a little now. Too windy today to give it a try. The blades are the proper rotation and no need to switch wires around. There was just a little trimming on the top of the rudder like you said but that was an easy fix. Perfect mod.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by msd58 View Post
I replaced my tail rotor from the stock one to one from a tail blade G.T. Model 8006 QS8006 RC helicopter. Works great!!!! Heli flies forward much better and faster. I had to trim the top of yellow rudder fin for clearance because hub of new rotor was slightly shorter than stock rotor.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

sawhorse is offline Find More Posts by sawhorse
Last edited by sawhorse; Aug 08, 2014 at 05:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 09, 2014, 08:49 PM
Joined Jul 2014
30 Posts
Motor time.....

Alrighty then... Tail mod went well... the s033g flew much faster, especially once I remembered to turn on the tail rotor speed switch. after a few more flights I noticed flight time getting shorter to the point of barely getting off the ground after 1 minute. Replaced battery, thinking the stock Li-ion went bad, got a Tenergy 7.4 1600mah and still no improvement. Upon further inspection found one of the main rotor motors had developed a dead spot in the armature and was running less than 50% power output. Looking for better motors, 2.4g BNF compatible receiver board (Spektrum compatible). Just my opinion- This is a tough copter, but the motors and control system is crap. Suggestions on upgrades?