Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:58 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,803 Posts
Looks good!

Did you fly it much in 'stock' configuration before modifying it?

I am going to try to master mine, while it's all stock. Once that is done, I think I will have a better handle on any mod's I do for it.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2012, 01:02 AM
Joined Jan 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
Looks good!

Did you fly it much in 'stock' configuration before modifying it?

I am going to try to master mine, while it's all stock. Once that is done, I think I will have a better handle on any mod's I do for it.
I flew it to a dead battery twice before doing the modding. The screw in my tail rotor weighed 0.9grams so I added a 0.9gram weight to the nose of the heli just to make sure I didn't throw anything off balance. The new mods are much better. With the improved antenna the heli doesn't cut out as much, only for a split second maybe once per flight. The double tail rotor has increased the speeds a whole lot, and I can actually fly during a small breeze without crashing it.

I have another 330g scheudled to be delivered tomorrow, hopefully it will 11.1 v , I have plenty of those spare rotor screws left, (like 20) so I am going to do the same mods to the new heli as well.
aoyue2702 is offline Find More Posts by aoyue2702
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined Sep 2003
73 Posts
That looks very much like a grease fitting... Is it?
CarlP is offline Find More Posts by CarlP
Old Jan 25, 2012, 07:28 PM
Joined Jan 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlP View Post
That looks very much like a grease fitting... Is it?
Its actually a screw that came off a xbox 360 CPU. Called the X-clamp screw :P
aoyue2702 is offline Find More Posts by aoyue2702
Old Jan 27, 2012, 02:29 PM
Joined Jan 2012
99 Posts
Just orderd one!
Has anyone heard about a tail prop that could be used on this one like how the syma107?

(It's where you flip the prop and install one from Picco heli. I have two 107 and did that and it worked great to fly forward.)
kyles974 is offline Find More Posts by kyles974
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:40 AM
Flyin' and Pickn'
United States, TX, Royse City
Joined Feb 2012
3 Posts
Hi all,

New to the place, and returning to RC after a lot of years....My Wife decided I needed an outdoor hobby, I guess..

Well, she got me a S107 for Xmas, and after I got my legs back with it, I opted for an S033G.

Would I do it again? Well, let me make the mods on my rear rotor and we shall see... Right now, the S033G as delivered by xheli is a menace and frustrating thing to fly.. it will ONLY go backwards the instant you hover and trim it. This was in a light wind... In the barn, I was able to trace it along the flloor and had better pitch control, but I am attributing that to being inside a metal building with a concrete floor (signal strength and no wind whatsoever).

Of course, being new to rotorcraft, I was only hovering about an inch off the deck and doing slow circles and touchdowns/lift offs - the 33G has enough power that if I wasnt' real careful I'd put it thru the durn roof! It got way from me out the pasture once and that was that. I was jut thankful I was able to make a semi soft touchdown...If I hadn't been flying a S107 inside for a month, I probably would have crashed badly...

My S107 on the other hand is some of the best fun I have had with a toy in years. I fly it all over inside the house and barn....Works great, has been a durable little tropper cosidering the intial stumbles I had remembering how to fly something!

I'd like to look into that mod that used the xbox 360 CPU mount, but lowes/Home Crepo/TSC generally won't have something like that.. So, being in a rural area, I'll probably do the spacer mod - after all, it's very little risk for elevator control. That seem to be the only issue I am having now, but I haven't tried distance yet (except the one time it got away from me).

Cheers

What guage of wire was used for the antenna replacements?
BluegrassBoy is offline Find More Posts by BluegrassBoy
Last edited by BluegrassBoy; Feb 04, 2012 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Because I cannot spell!!
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:11 AM
Motto - fly it, crash it = fun
United States, GA
Joined Jul 2007
101 Posts
I'm one of the new guys, too. Did the same beginning as others - started with the 107 and liked it for inside. Had to have something for outside and got the 033. Have flown it several times and posted some stuff in the "coaxial" forum. I have the newer model with the 7.4v battery and 1500 mAh, but it's Li-ion instead of LiPo - maybe not much difference. I've had the reception failure and improved it by uncoiling the antenna and flying with it just hanging down. Past RC experience showed antenna must not be coiled, wrapped, etc. I've done much battery / motors temperature measuring and found no problem yet after flights or charging. The last 10 min. flight, stuff got up to 119 degrees and battery decreased while charging from the supplied wall charger. Am waiting for the 11.1v battery to try, but would prefer to find a 7.4v, 2000 mAh or so.
fs2flyer is offline Find More Posts by fs2flyer
Old Feb 06, 2012, 07:28 AM
Flyin' and Pickn'
Joined Feb 2012
3 Posts
Well.. My tail mod went as smooth as silk - one easy fix for 43 cents and 15 mins time.

I'm really on the fence now about the antenna wire, but the SWAG I'm getting from the pix is that it's like .10 guage stranded insulated wire. After I get used to what the tail rotor change made in a controlled setting, I'll decide if I'm gonna fool with the antenna change.. My problem is that the electronic components in these little guys are cheap and if you are heavy with the solder or iron-get the board too hot, etc, it's gonna be toast. These boards are a lot thinner than PC motherboards, so I'm fairly apprehensive even thou I've got a good fine tip solder iron too and I am used to pinpoint soldering.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 09:36 AM
Joined Jan 2012
229 Posts
The issue I see with the 'pancake' stack up of tail rotors is that they are not on the same plane and the air turbulence between them could cause some loss in efficiency and any gain. I'm also not a big fan of how they look staked like that, but thats just me.

Also, as simple as it seems this also adds weight. Weight that the motor has to turn and stop on a dime to reverse direction. The potential to heat up, or damage the rotor motor also increases.

You dont want to change the pitch of the stock rotor, its pretty steep. I believe the angle Syma chose was due to the blades small size. They attempted to compensate for its size by increasing the pitch to move more air. I don't think it works very well. The stock rotor is FLAT, where as a more curved rotor plade or even a prop would work more efficiantly.

Best bet is a new prop or rotor IMO.
broderp is offline Find More Posts by broderp
Old Feb 06, 2012, 12:28 PM
United States, GA
Joined Jul 2007
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by broderp View Post
The issue I see with the 'pancake' stack up of tail rotors is that they are not on the same plane and the air turbulence between them could cause some loss in efficiency and any gain. ......(snip).......

Also, as simple as it seems this also adds weight. Weight that the motor has to turn and stop on a dime to reverse direction. The potential to heat up ....(snip)....

Best bet is a new prop or rotor IMO.
I did the stack 2 blades and found minimal change in forward performance. The added weight was not noticeable on this size heli. Best bet so far is what Turin and I posted in the "Some SYMA s033G mods from Holland" thread. Really moves forward fast.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 07:06 PM
Flyin' and Pickn'
Joined Feb 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fs2flyer View Post
I did the stack 2 blades and found minimal change in forward performance. The added weight was not noticeable on this size heli. Best bet so far is what Turin and I posted in the "Some SYMA s033G mods from Holland" thread. Really moves forward fast.
Can you link me to that thread?

I did not get the forward tilt I was expecting from the mod, so maybe I've left something out.... it did give me better contol and I can hover now and not drift backwards as badly, but I still can't seem to get that forward tilt to go forward very much. I made sure that the spacer fits snugly

btw, I did make my spacer mod stand a bit (2 16's) taller to offset the wake tubulence - I took a eyeball swag on how high that xbox 360 spacer raised it up an then duplicated that when I shortened the spacer.

I was mostly guessing, but I do understand the concept of wake tubulence from my IRL flying days..

Edit: - I found the thread... Thanks!
Last edited by BluegrassBoy; Feb 07, 2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 09:13 PM
BubbaMoose
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2011
3 Posts
Tweeks to Heli.

I bought several of these cheap and was able to resell them at a nice profit. I kept 1 of them and replaced the battery they had in it ( a 11.1 1100 LiPo) I replaced it with a 1800, and it seemed to increase the flying time by 50%. This thing is a lot of fun for the cheap $$, great bang for the buck for sure!!! Flys OK in a slight wind.
To fix the rear rotor issue, it was simple & 70% more efficient.
I used a similar size prop from my left over parts from other projects. It was 25% longer & 15% wider blade. I took my heat tool used for shrinking wire wrap and placed the new prop inside a pencil, then tightened in a vise. AFter mildly heating one side of the blade slowly, I then twist the blade so that its pitch is about 30% more than the stock blade. The whole that mounts to the heli is about the same size. So no problems there.
The 2nd I cracked the heli over and gave some rear throttle it was still on the ground and would pitch up or down instantly. While in the air you can fly outdoors with a wind of 5-8 knots. You can hear a loud "WOOSH" as you apply throttle to your new prop, & its very resposive
bubbamoose is offline Find More Posts by bubbamoose
Last edited by bubbamoose; Oct 12, 2012 at 04:51 AM. Reason: addition
Old Feb 07, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined Jan 2012
99 Posts
did you guys see this tail prop mod? (bottom of the page)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...489467&page=10

I took off the tail support rods, the tail wing and horizontal wing, and the flight is much, much better. OK, it's FUN to fly now. Going to try this prop mod in the morning!
kyles974 is offline Find More Posts by kyles974
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:06 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1 Posts
S033G rear rotor mod

Wow...the double prop looks cool! and looks like it would work great. What I did is heated the existing prop (with a hair dryer as to not over heat it) and put more pitch to it and I think I ended up with about the same results. used a adjustable wrench to do the twisting and a spray bottle of water to cool it down faster. just screwed it down (carfully) to a piece of wood so you can measure the pitch as to get both blades the same.. It will fly forward and backward at a much faster pace now. I also had the cut out problem at about 30 feet up but it would kick back in about 10 feet off the ground! GOOD THING!!! I wrapped the existing wire from where it is, back to the stablizer fin and the back forward again and it seemed to help the problem. I think the wire the way it is when you get it is just not enough area to capture the siginal. I am also going to try to go around the three tubes in a triangle back towards the stablizing fin and see if that is better. May have to add wire??
Will post my results. I also will try the 2200 battery to see if it will fly longer. I have to drive about 20 minutes to get to a safe place to fly so a flight time of 15 minutes isn't fun. I have 2 outdoor choppers so the fun lasts about a hour which is just right for me.:
flyithigh is offline Find More Posts by flyithigh
Old Feb 18, 2012, 06:12 AM
United States, GA
Joined Jul 2007
101 Posts
Just a quicky update - I un-coiled my 033 antenna and just let it hang down free during flight. Now no more reception cutouts. I tried extending it out to the rear stabilizer, but had a bit of cutouts there.

One more - I started out with and still have a 107 that I like lots. The 033 was bought for outside and is okay on minimal to zero wind days with the tail prop mod. But, I just received a Blade MQX quad that's recommended on another thread and, boy, is this thing GREAT for outside - just no comparison. Takes a bit more learning skill, but it's worth it. Second try outside ended 30 feet up in a tree, but it survived fine. If interested, check out the MQX thread.