HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2012, 04:52 PM
Joined Sep 2003
73 Posts
Forgot to mention the 2 resistors which are there to limit the current. If you find that 2 of the 4 banks of LEDs aren't working then the resistor that controls that bank is either bad or not soldered properly. The resistor closer to the motor handles the leds connected to the two banks closest to it and the one closer to the receiver boards handles the other two, one of which is the canopy LED.
CarlP is offline Find More Posts by CarlP
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2012, 04:57 PM
Joined Sep 2003
73 Posts
First mod done, the spare rear blade is done and it seems to have a good effect on pitch. Probably, at some point, I'll play with the distance between the two and see what effect it may have. The LED mod i'll do when I convert to 2.4ghz and use the gear channel to turn the LEDs on and off via an old servo board.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 05:01 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,605 Posts
Quote:
Take the canopy off, you'll see a small 1"x1" board near the motors with a bunch of connectors on it. Actually, you'll have to remove one of the connectors just to get the canopy all the way off. That is the connector board for all the LEDs. Make sure that they are all connected. You can easily identify which connector goes to which LEDs. If they are all connected the unplug the working ones to use as a tester for the others. If the working one do not work in the connectors of the others then you probably have a bad solder joints on the board. If they work on all connectors then the nonworking LEDs are either bad or wired backwards. If what I just said doesn't make complete sense just ask.
Is this addressed to me Carl? If so, well all the LED's in the main frame work fine. My heli is just not equipped with the LED strip that goes along the bottom of the tail boom.

I did contact Xheli today via Live Chat and talked about the missing LED strip for the tail boom and asked if they could send it to me and they said they would.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 13, 2012, 05:04 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,605 Posts
Regarding the modification to the tail rotor, instead of adding an additional blade could not the existing blade be re-pitched to a coarser pitch? Maybe heat it in boiling water and then twist the blades.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Sep 2003
73 Posts
Sorry Kmot, I wrongly assumed they weren't working, not missing...even though you clearly said they weren't there....
Yea, repitching the blades should work too... Wouldn't take much.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 06:16 PM
Joined Sep 2003
73 Posts
Kmot, looked at the pitch of the rear prop, the angle of attach looks quite high. Adding more pitch may cause it to stall, it's quite high already. if you do, make sure it's no more then 1 or 2 deg. even that may be too much.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 09:22 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,605 Posts
Okay, thanks. I don't think I will mess with the stock prop.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:04 PM
Joined Jan 2012
12 Posts
Hello guys, I new to the fourm, this is my first post.

I've been thinking about buying a syma S033G from amazon for $59.95 shipped, but I heard the new version has a 7.4 volt battery. Is it still worth buying? how does the performance compare to the 11.1 volt model?

To the people that own the S033G 7.4 volt model : Would you buy the heli over again if you had to do it over with?

I own a couple 107g's and I am looking for something big and fun for outside. My kids flip out when I fly the helicopters for them.

Thanks for your help!
aoyue2702 is offline Find More Posts by aoyue2702
Last edited by aoyue2702; Jan 20, 2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Jan 2012
12 Posts
I asked them why they switch to 7.4 volt batteries and heres the response.

Quote:
Thank you for placing an order with us on Amazon.

That is correct, this item is fulfilled by Amazon and it ships directly from Amazon. All the items fulfilled by Amazon are the newest version, therefore the helicopter that you will be receving is equipped with 7.4V Lipo battery and without the LED tail lights. Please note that there are so many issues like over heating, motor burned up on the older version which is the one equipped with 11.1V Lipo and LED lights. Also, the manufacture have not supplied any older version been a period of time.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or concerns and hope you will have fun on your new chopper

Best regards,

Syma Heli
Anyone heard of any overheating and burnt up motors using 11.1 volt batteries? Should I cancel my order on the 7.4 volt version?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:06 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,605 Posts
Very interesting. So the 7.4V is the newest version. Well I guess that makes me feel better, lol.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined Jan 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
Very interesting. So the 7.4V is the newest version. Well I guess that makes me feel better, lol.

How do you like yours? Does it seem to have a lot of power? does it steer easy like the 107?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:43 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,605 Posts
I like it. It has plenty enough power to go high up and get into trouble.

I have no clue how a 107 steers.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined Jan 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
I like it. It has plenty enough power to go high up and get into trouble.

I have no clue how a 107 steers.
I ordered two of them, from two different sellers (hoping i'll get a 11.1 volt version)
Last edited by aoyue2702; Jan 21, 2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:38 PM
Joined Jan 2012
12 Posts
ok I got one in from syma heli and it's 7.4 volt version, it didnt come with the balance charger but instead came with an ac adapter with a 3 prong end. is that normal? I noticed the heli is cutting out when it gets far away , guess I need to do that antenna mod. did it fix your problems?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:08 PM
Joined Jan 2012
12 Posts
Ok...

I got to do the tail rotor mod and the antenna mod.

I just happen to have about 20 pc's of this AWESOME threaded aluminum screw that seems like its made for this purpose. It fit like a glove. The bottom threads into the bottom rotor while the top fits into the top rotor with friction, or for extra security you can add a small screw (which I did, although not need)

This method actually moves the top blade further away from the bottom blade than your spacer method, it also requires no drilling or damage to the rotors themselves! this thing FLYS super fast forward now , like twice as quick as stock.

Heres some pics! (sorry for the quality, was taken on iphone)