HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Jan 2012
13 Posts
SYMA SO33G. Iseen your mods went to tsc store an could not find.

Hi the mod you did. Icant find at tsc, can you email me the part numbers. my heli is on the way, so I though I would do the mods befor I fly it. rrbrown63@yahoo.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwatchman View Post
I bought two of the Syma S033g for fun but had trouble right out of the box. Trouble losing transmitter communication causing crashes. And trouble keeping it going forward or backward with any rate of speed.

Well, I removed the old antenna from the copter and found a piece of thin insolated stranded wire about 2 and ½ times the stock length. I wrapped it around the left side skid legs and on the last length I coiled it over and over the wrapped wire holding the end with a small wire tie. My test flight proved to be flawless.

Next I took the extra tail rotor that comes as a replacement and found a nylon sleeve just the right size to friction fit so I now have a double rotor blade at the tail. This provides extra power to tilt the heli for better forward and reverse movement. Its now much more fun to fly.

Then I put a micro toggle switch to cut power to the LEDs. They are good at night but just help to kill the battery during the day.

If you are having flight problems with this copter, you might try this…
rrb63 is offline Find More Posts by rrb63
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Jan 2012
13 Posts
Hi I went to TSC an could not find the spacers, could you send me an email with the part numbers. will get the heil monday an though I would do the mods befor I try to fly it. I think raido shack will have the switch. email rrbrown63@yahoo.com Thanks
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:26 PM
Joined Dec 2011
9 Posts
JohnTinker I order two new batteries for my S021g. one 1100mah and one 1300. I was hoping they would be here today but they're not. Is your Heli a s033? I 'm not sure the diff. My S031 came with 1100x 7.4. I've seen some advertised with 11.1v. I'm new to all this but I wouldn't think I could jump to a 11.1v. What size is in the S033?
bunick is offline Find More Posts by bunick
Old Jan 06, 2012, 09:30 PM
Joined Dec 2011
9 Posts
rrb63
I stopped at my local TSC and they didn't have them either so I went to a local Hardware/lumber yard store and they had them. I just made sure they were 3x16 by 0115 and mine was 3/4" long and still trimed a little off. It cost me 17 cents. For me it was pretty hard to tell the diff. but pretty easy to do.
bunick is offline Find More Posts by bunick
Old Jan 07, 2012, 11:33 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1 Posts
Hi, i tryed to change the ant. and now it does not do anything.i soldered like you said to the bord and nothing. what do you think happend.
Renemay24 is offline Find More Posts by Renemay24
Old Jan 07, 2012, 04:25 PM
United States, FL, Bradenton
Joined Nov 2011
80 Posts
I did the tail rotor mod and truthfully I didn't notice any difference.
mickmc is offline Find More Posts by mickmc
Old Jan 08, 2012, 09:24 AM
Joined Jan 2012
13 Posts
HI, I would like to know if you would send me the part # for the nylon spacers. I can't find then at tsc here in florida. maby I could find them some where elce. Thanks Ron
Old Jan 09, 2012, 07:04 PM
Joined Jan 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmc View Post
I did the tail rotor mod and truthfully I didn't notice any difference.
Hmm, well I did the mod on mine last week and the heli was more stable (thanks rcwatchman). Next up will be the antenna modification but I've learned that some guys have had problems with the connection of the new wire. I will do further research before doing mine. Also, I thought I read somewhere about a main motor upgrade. Maybe someone can chime in regarding this. Happy flying.

-Cheers.
Landing Skids is offline Find More Posts by Landing Skids
Last edited by Landing Skids; Jan 09, 2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Jan 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrb63 View Post
HI, I would like to know if you would send me the part # for the nylon spacers. I can't find then at tsc here in florida. maby I could find them some where elce. Thanks Ron
I bought mine at the Do it Center. The spacers are stocked in the hardware section and they were in drawers. Check Home Depot or any hardware store like Ace Hardware Store. I bought 4 spacers for 47 cents.

The size of the spacer is: 3/16 X .115 x 1" long. You also need a 3/16 drill bit. This is a five minute modification.

-Cheers.
Landing Skids is offline Find More Posts by Landing Skids
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined Sep 2003
73 Posts
I'm looking to do a mod on the 033 that I successfully did on a Walkera 5 4.
The mod involved taking the controller portion of a rx/controller unit I had laying around. The unit was made up of an rx and controller stuck together with double tape, I believe the unit came from a Piccolo I had long ago. I then hooked up the controller portion to a Spektrum rx and with some tweaking to the Tx settings it flies well. Since the 033 has a 27mhz, which I don't trust, I want to convert it so I can run it on my Spektrum system. I am therefore looking for a coaxial controller 4in1 maybe?. The difference with the 033 is the tail motor for forward and reverse motion which obviously runs on the elevator channel, so I'm looking for a coaxial controller that can also run that rear motor. If you know of any such controller or a rx/controller combo, which can be seperated, let me know.
I could operate the rear motor using a small car esc which has reverse but it would have to be small and capable of the same resolution in reverse as forward... Wouldn't have to be more the a 1amp esc, smaller would be better. Thoughts?

Carl
CarlP is offline Find More Posts by CarlP
Last edited by CarlP; Jan 11, 2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Found a 3amp esc with reverse, just need controller
Old Jan 12, 2012, 02:22 PM
Joined Sep 2003
73 Posts
BTW...033 is not in my hands yet, awaiting delivery today....preemtive modding....
Old Jan 12, 2012, 04:53 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,885 Posts
Hey guys,

I just got my Syma 033 today! It was the video Chicagoplaya had that convinced me to get one. I had just gotten a Syma S022 Chinook but it was defective and I had to send it back, and I was looking for something else and found this thread.

Wow, this helicopter is HUGE in comparison to the Chinook even though it was the 'big' version.

I just tried it out in my backyard, and I only wanted to get it to hover a few inches off the ground but the wind is blowing around and it's about 5-10 mph gusts so it kept blowing the heli over on its side so I would have to cut power immediately becuase I do not want to break it right away.

For you guys that have flown in Zero wind, does it start to hover easy? Also, mine seems to want to turn left. Is the trimmer button used to correct that? I see there are no other trims on the radio.

One last question: When it is up high in the air and you just want to fly around, say do lazy figure eights, does the heli actually bank over or does it just fly flat all the time? I cannot see any control that simulates aileron, just rudder.

Thanks!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 12, 2012, 05:12 PM
Joined Sep 2003
73 Posts
It has no swash plate and therefore no way to control the pitch of the blade. Motor speed controls up and down, the speed of the upper blade controls left or right and the prop in the rear controls pitch...in order to bank you need to change the pitch of the blades at the right time which done by moving the swash plate.
Gotmine in today...time to mod and play.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:19 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,885 Posts
Thanks for the explanation CarlP.

I was watching some video on Youtube of the S033 and I saw that they all seemed to have flashing LED lights on the tail boom, yet mine does not have any there, only on the side of the main frame. I thought it looked pretty cool, so I am disappointed I did not get those on mine.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 13, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined Sep 2003
73 Posts
Take the canopy off, you'll see a small 1"x1" board near the motors with a bunch of connectors on it. Actually, you'll have to remove one of the connectors just to get the canopy all the way off. That is the connector board for all the LEDs. Make sure that they are all connected. You can easily identify which connector goes to which LEDs. If they are all connected the unplug the working ones to use as a tester for the others. If the working one do not work in the connectors of the others then you probably have a bad solder joints on the board. If they work on all connectors then the nonworking LEDs are either bad or wired backwards. If what I just said doesn't make complete sense just ask.
That board simply takes the feed from the receiver board and feeds it to all the LEDs.
Of course you can also use a volt meter and measure accross the 2 pins of each connector and see voltage, look at the connector of the working ones and you'll see 3 to 5v, if you don't see juice on the others then you have a bad jolder joint or bad connection under the board.