HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:20 PM
Joined Dec 2011
72 Posts
Idea
These mods made the Syma S033g fly better.

I bought two of the Syma S033g for fun but had trouble right out of the box. Trouble losing transmitter communication causing crashes. And trouble keeping it going forward or backward with any rate of speed.

Well, I removed the old antenna from the copter and found a piece of thin insolated stranded wire about 2 and Ĺ times the stock length. I wrapped it around the left side skid legs and on the last length I coiled it over and over the wrapped wire holding the end with a small wire tie. My test flight proved to be flawless.

Next I took the extra tail rotor that comes as a replacement and found a nylon sleeve just the right size to friction fit so I now have a double rotor blade at the tail. This provides extra power to tilt the heli for better forward and reverse movement. Its now much more fun to fly.

Then I put a micro toggle switch to cut power to the LEDs. They are good at night but just help to kill the battery during the day.

If you are having flight problems with this copter, you might try thisÖ
rcwatchman is offline Find More Posts by rcwatchman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:03 PM
You fly birds, I fly HAWKS!
Joined Dec 2011
46 Posts
Cool LOL. I have/going to have a Syma 032! Verysimilar!
I like your mods but I want to know more about the Doble rotor mod, could you explain?

THANX
BluHeart is offline Find More Posts by BluHeart
Old Dec 22, 2011, 02:00 PM
Joined Dec 2011
72 Posts
To Blu Heart, what I did...

Not familiar with the Syma 032, but on the 033g the tail rotor is held in place by a screw that goes through the center shaft into the drive pinion shaft. What I did was to find a nylon sleeve from Tractor Supply that fit really tight in the top of the recess in the center shaft of the tail rotor. I then drilled out the spare tail rotor that came with the heli and tapped the nylon sleeve into the spare rotor and cut the end off the sleeve leaving enough to twist and press down into the recess of the screw mounted rotor. The friction fit was tight enough to hold them together just fine. I set them at 90 degrees of each other and all I can say is the control of forward and reverse motion was greatly improved. But as I said I donít know how this will adapt to the 032. Hope it works.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 01:55 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1 Posts
awesome

You are awesome. I did what you did and this helicopter just went from good to the best. Genious.
aekupp is offline Find More Posts by aekupp
Old Dec 26, 2011, 06:48 PM
S033GYOU
Joined Dec 2011
2 Posts
HEY I OWN A SYMA 033G AND ITS WINTER IN CHICAGO SOO I HAVENT REALLY GOT A GOOD CHANCE TO TEST FLY IT YET. I WAS WONDERING HOW DID YOU ATTACH THE WIRE. DID U SOLDERED IT ON AT THE CONTROL BROAD. I JUST GOT MY 33G AND I'M SECOND GUESSING IF I SHOULD OPEN IT UP. ANOTHER THING IS DO YOU HAVE AND PICS OF THE TAIL BLADE MOD. I UNDERSTAND THE THE CONCEPT BUT I DONT UNDERSTAND THE CONSTRUCTION.
I ALSO STRIPED ABOUT TWO INCHES OF THE ANTENA SO THAT THE INSIDE OF THE WIRE CAN SHOW

SYMA s033G (2 min 48 sec)
chicagoplaya is offline Find More Posts by chicagoplaya
Old Dec 26, 2011, 07:10 PM
United States, FL, Bradenton
Joined Nov 2011
80 Posts
There's 3 minutes ill never get back!
mickmc is offline Find More Posts by mickmc
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:35 PM
Joined Dec 2011
72 Posts
Pix Of ModsÖ

Hope this works. I am sending pictures of the mods I did. Pancake tail rotor, antenna redo, toggle switch mounted to shut off LED for daytime flight. Also, one picture of the package for the spacer used to make the double tail rotor. Spacer purchased from Tractor Supply store, less than a buck.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 01:48 AM
S033GYOU
Joined Dec 2011
2 Posts
Perfect i have more of an idea about the tail rotor- how about the antenna, did you soldered it to the broad or connect it to the last bit of wire and made the rest custom? I was also thinking if we had the dimensions of the screw on the tail rotor then maybe we can try to find a screw that is longer and drill the two rotors together. What do you think? Have you try this?
chicagoplaya is offline Find More Posts by chicagoplaya
Old Dec 27, 2011, 02:44 PM
Joined Dec 2011
72 Posts
To: Chicagoplaya, hope this helps...

The wire I used was twice the thickness, twice the length, fine stranded insolated wire. I removed the original and soldered right to the receiver board. For the rotor I first thought to try a longer screw. I went to several hobby stores but could not find what would work. Most all where too large and would crack the top of the drive pinion. The friction in sleeve seemed the best to me and it works great. Once you get the sleeve cut to the right length you can put the blades together with the original screw trapped in the lower blade. The hole in the sleeve allows for a micro phillips bit to unscrew and remove both blades as an assembly. Donít forget to drill out the top blade center (3/16 in. bit), tap in the sleeve from bottom to flush at top then cut off with razor blade what sticks out the bottom just long enough to press into the top of lower blade. Donít forget to put the screw in the lower blade first. If done right you should not have to glue anything. Put blade in place and run micro bit down hole in the sleeve and tighten the screw and your done.

PS. On the antenna, you don't have to strip any insolation off, that will not make any difference...
Old Dec 29, 2011, 05:16 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4 Posts
I found your mods today and attempted the dual tail rotor. It's definitely made a difference in mine. I just tried it out in a slight breeze and I was able to make headway and it was noticeably more controllable. I can't wait to try it with NO breeze.

If you come up with more get 'em posted up!

Also, I've been looking at a bigger battery on Ebay. I know it won't fit right but I'm wondering if I can't get it jammed in or on it somehow. Think it will work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280796281710...84.m1438.l2649
JohnTinker is offline Find More Posts by JohnTinker
Old Dec 29, 2011, 06:06 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4 Posts
Slight update....sucker lost signal and cut off on me about 30ft up. Nose dive.

Popped the nose cone off, battery broke loose, lost the 2nd tail rotor, and broke the landing gear. I stuffed it all back in and it still flies. Need a new tail rotor now though. That and I'm going to work on the antenna now.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:12 PM
Joined Dec 2011
1 Posts
RCwatchman,

You have some great ideas to increase the "fun factor" to the S033G. I bought one from Amazon a few days ago and I arrived yesterday afternoon. I am going to try the pancaking idea for the tail rotor, it really looks like that will make a difference. I had a chance to try it for a few minutes last night, but I am really looking forward to taking it out today. What camera did you end up buying? Is there one available that I can view on an Iphone? I am looking forward to additional posting once I have really had a chance to take it for a spin. I bought my boys each a 107G for Christmas and thats what got me hooked and looking at the S033G. Thanks again for your tips...
Livingtheedream is offline Find More Posts by Livingtheedream
Old Dec 31, 2011, 01:52 PM
Joined Dec 2011
9 Posts
Rcwatchman, I'm a new owner of Syma S031g similar I think to your 033. I am going to try your tail rotor mod. My question is battery, Have you tried a bigger battery to get more flight time? Mine is a 1100mah 7.4v. I hope there are better batteries out there then this thing. Thanks
bunick is offline Find More Posts by bunick
Old Jan 01, 2012, 06:05 PM
Joined Dec 2011
72 Posts
To BUNICK:

I thought about messing with the battery but I ended up with two of these and the flight time is OK. Each night if I can fly them both until the battery is spent, thatís all I seem to need right now. The other thing is I am having a blast with these, but what I am reading is that unless the flight time is really low, and you just want more, it seems that the motors on the lower end Helis take a beating unless you are really careful with what you put in. The few mods I did I am happy with and that will probably be about it for these. But donít get me wrong I am having a lot of fun, as long as the wind is light.

But now, who is to say that a stronger battery might make your copter a whole lot more fun. Keep looking and you will find someone that has done a little of everything to somthing...
Old Jan 03, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4 Posts
I couldn't resist and ordered the battery I mentioned above. Hopefully the shipping won't take long and I can post up some results.