HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:19 PM
Semper Fidelis
USA, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Jul 2005
1,444 Posts
Discussion
Multifun--Finally in the States!

I'm excited to finally get one of these going.

This should fit the bill of something easy to backpack, or put in the back seat for some easy aerobatic flying.

http://shop.twistedhobbys.com/Telink...k-Multifun.htm

This will be a fun Christmas break project!
Big Gas is offline Find More Posts by Big Gas
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:57 PM
User
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,577 Posts
Looks like fun BG... are you going to go with the motor? Please keep us informed of how she goes together!
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Dec 20, 2011, 08:35 PM
"Will Slope For Food"
Golden, Colorado
Joined Mar 2008
1,136 Posts
I just ordered one. A moment of weakness. Looks like fun.
Granite is offline Find More Posts by Granite
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:30 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,674 Posts
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:20 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,686 Posts
Man just what I was asking Steve Lange the other day. Thank's for the head's up.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2011, 01:03 AM
If it can-it will!
Gower South Wales UK
Joined May 2007
2,075 Posts
Be interesting to get your flight report BG.

Quite a few over this side have bought this fun model but found, in it's original state, it would only fly in a narrow lift band.
But covering it in heatshrink (or adding some ballast) made it much more "flyable". But bang for bucks it's hard to beat.
cliffhanger is offline Find More Posts by cliffhanger
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:47 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhanger View Post
Be interesting to get your flight report BG.

Quite a few over this side have bought this fun model but found, in it's original state, it would only fly in a narrow lift band.
But covering it in heatshrink (or adding some ballast) made it much more "flyable". But bang for bucks it's hard to beat.
Yes. I suspect that the very rough surface texture doesn't do it any favours airflow-wise. I just added strips of new stuff to the leading edges of the flying surfaces, and that seems to have helped.. It'll never be a high-wind plane though. The lack of penetration does help with silly aerobatics (something like indoor shockies that often use large permanent "dive brakes" to slow things down).
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:29 AM
Tobias (aka glider hangaround)
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Apr 2008
551 Posts
My experience is as Cliffhanger and Cvanschos, in orginal it doesnt fly very inspiring, but cover it up in NS and slim the fuse down and it transforms to something resembling its name. Here is the post I made to describe my mods to get it to fly nice and fun: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...65&postcount=4
Fluffracka is offline Find More Posts by Fluffracka
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:47 AM
Semper Fidelis
Joined Jul 2005
1,444 Posts
I've been looking closely at what you guys are doing with the Multifun across the pond. I want to build this as stock as possible except that I just have to cover it. I've seen some EPP designs fly without covering but it's always been a consensus that they'd fly better with it. Maybe, it's the draggy feel of the naked foam? I have tons of 5 mil laminating film, possibly for the wings, limited 3 mil, and 1 mil which will go on the tail.

A couple of start up pics:
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:09 AM
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,704 Posts
Just when I've been thinking there really aren't any more niches I need to fill
Looks like fun!
Dave
SumthinsFishy is offline Find More Posts by SumthinsFishy
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:10 AM
Semper Fidelis
Joined Jul 2005
1,444 Posts
Robh- Going for the aerobatic slope version. The kit comes with options for a motor and winglets for a polyhedral version. Three options in one is kind of cool.

I did get instructions, wow, what are those. Nicely illustrated but a little text would help.

This is coming together pretty quick.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:44 AM
If it can-it will!
Gower South Wales UK
Joined May 2007
2,075 Posts
This was mine from several years back. Just covering it in heat shrink was enough extra wing loading to make it a great little aerobat for winds up to~15mph.

Imo, if I was going to cover it in N.S. no need to go any thicker than 3 mil (80 micron).

cliffhanger is offline Find More Posts by cliffhanger
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:28 PM
User
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,577 Posts
Thanks for the info BG - it is nice that the kit provides options for three variations and thanks for posting the pics. I guess it's the Christmas spirit in me that makes me think I need more toys -this looks interesting! I'll wait a bit though for your thoughts and opinions on it. After all, I've got one project in the works, and another in the wings calling me! Following...
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:59 PM
Semper Fidelis
Joined Jul 2005
1,444 Posts
Total weight was 17 1/8oz.

I put a maiden on it today. Wind was very light at about 5mph but this thing flew great. It was very easy to fly in such light wind. I played with a bit of camber and ran it with snap flaps. The only down side I can say was its inverted performance in these conditions. It took a lot of work to hold level flight inverted, but that's the profile. Later I got some flat spins in which were very fast...And... On my high rates, I got somewhat of a flip, ofcourse not in the vid, but it got me laughing. In just a little bit more wind, I think it'll be absolutely effortless. Like a looky loo said, "That looks like a fun plane."

Multifun on the slope (3 min 42 sec)