HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2011, 05:11 PM
United States, WI, Hayward
Joined Oct 2011
27 Posts
Discussion
Hobby King "FREE" Gifts, NOT

When placing an order on HK a pop up states that if you spend more than $100 you will get a free gift, planes or motors, the item is shown in the window. Well I placed my order, over $100, and guess what no gift. called support to find out why. Here's the transcription. I have to admit despite feeling cheated by the company, the support person was nice.

Welcome to HobbyKing. I will gladly assist you with your enquiry. I am currently handling a few customers, however feel free to type in your question and order number. I will get to you as soon as possible.
Zoe:
Thank you for contacting the HobbyKing Support Team. How may I help you?
You:
When I placed my order a pop up window stated that if my order was greater than $100 I would receive a EDF Mig. My order is 105 but no jet showed up in the order?
You:

Zoe:
I understand but you have already paid for the order we cannot add the free item
Zoe:
it is a promo that can only be availed on the website
You:
What does not make sense is, the window stated it would automatically be added to the order, obviously it did not. This does not seem right.
Zoe:
did you click on the window?
Zoe:
the item should appear in the cart before payment
You:
yes, there was nothing to click on. Can this be fixed please.
Zoe:
I can have the IT department fix the error. however we cannot add it to the item anymore
You:
So you are saying that I was told if I spend $100 I would get a free item that was not added, as it stated it would. I spent the money expecting to receive this item but your company will not honor its own offer, and I am out of luck. Are you really Ok with this?
Zoe:
I understand the frustration however we cannot add it. the promotion can only be availed on the website.
Zoe:
if you are not happy with this we can cancel the order and issue a refund
You:
Yes I am unhappy, it is unfair marketing, there was no way to add the free item, it strikes me as questionable legality. I did try to add it myself but a fee showed up. Yes I want to cancel the order. I beleive you should be able to stand by your statement, website or not.
Zoe:
I understand however there may have been a technical issue on the website that caused the item to become missing in the order. we respect your decision to cancel. Just to confirm one last time, would you like us to cancel the order

The message don't fall for this HK gimmick.
Bent Props is offline Find More Posts by Bent Props
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2011, 05:30 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jun 2011
295 Posts
was your order 105 before or after shipping?
Strizzo is offline Find More Posts by Strizzo
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:09 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,451 Posts
bate and switch
id dispute payment with your card issuer and tell HK to fix the issue or face a charge back
btw they will make cancelling the order HELL agian call your Card issue and tell them you want to issue a charge back on it
Elios000 is offline Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:38 AM
Rebelliously devoid of tattoos
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,531 Posts
For what it's worth, I think the original text of the offer was something like "once per day you'll see a popup window with your free offer". Although I may be mistaken about the exact timing, it certainly wasn't a case of "just buy $100 and that's all you have to do". There was extra waiting and clicking involved.

I did try to get a decent freebie over the course of two or three days, and I did see a couple of popup windows - a motor which I didn't want, and a plane which would have been OK except it was already backordered

In the end I didn't feel it was worthwhile paying the extra shipping for stuff I didn't really need, and I lost patience with having to wait for another random throw-of-the-dice, so I gave up on the freebie part of the order.

I'm not attacking or defending HK - just saying that there was more to it than just filling the cart to $100+.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:53 AM
Joined Mar 2011
538 Posts
I learned a long time ago you seldom get something for nothing, I would never buy anything because of such an offer, I wouldnīt even take it serious, if you did get something it would probably be something quite worthless like a few stickers or something. I guess you just have to put stuff like that down to experience, and if you feel they werenīt honest then donīt buy with them anymore. BTW I personally wouldnīt buy from those guys,
papabearflying is offline Find More Posts by papabearflying
Old Dec 21, 2011, 04:07 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,132 Posts
Don't really get the issue here, everytime i've had the free gift offer pop up it has a "click here" to add this to your basket button. Seems simple don't click the button no free gift.
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:26 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabearflying View Post
I learned a long time ago you seldom get something for nothing, I would never buy anything because of such an offer, I wouldnīt even take it serious, if you did get something it would probably be something quite worthless like a few stickers or something. I guess you just have to put stuff like that down to experience, and if you feel they werenīt honest then donīt buy with them anymore. BTW I personally wouldnīt buy from those guys,
It's actually not that complicated and it's not a bate (bait) and switch.

HK have it plastered all over their customer forum and on the shop news (web shop home page) that they are simply getting rid of a bunch of excess stock from LiPo's to plane kits. If you happen to be placing an order when the freebie is available (it's not all the time it's a fairly random thing, although they do give some advance warning on the facebook page) the popup will appear (has done for me several times) and you already intend buying goods to the value of 100 bucks or over, you simply add it while it's at zero dollars. Of course if it bumps your postage over the weight/size then you have to pay the extra shipping. If it isn't at zero dollars then you missed out. Nothing gained nothing lost.

Amazing how an offer of a giveaway to customers that is 100% their choice to accept or decline when loading the cart, when checking out, when confirming shipping and then again when going to pay can turn into the worlds greatest disaster. Even better still if you pay and change your mind you can still cancel for a cash refund (to payment method) by simply going to online chat.

Even more amazing the ill informed speculation and hearsay.

Carry on Gentlemen and Seasons greetings/Happy Holidays. Happy flying/boating/driving/FPVing/APing

Mark
KCV6 is online now Find More Posts by KCV6
Last edited by KCV6; Dec 21, 2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:39 AM
Merry xmas
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,277 Posts
From HK's store home page under news:

Free stuff from now until December 25th 2/11/2011
Here at hobbyking we're starting Christmas early by giving away items for free. Thats right, totally free!
How it works: Randomly throughout the day we will be showing a 'FREE ITEM' image when you view your cart. There is no set time or set product range, it's totally random, however 3 things are for certain, it happens every day, it's totally free and its more than 30 products. So if you're a frequent shopper you're sure to catch the deal.
Remember, it's every day, and its totally free. So start adding items to your cart!

Seems a fairly straight forward offer to me

Mark
KCV6 is online now Find More Posts by KCV6
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:49 AM
whiirrrrrr
Joined Nov 2011
785 Posts
The ordering being $105, sounds like before shipping it was less than $100, is this the case? Either way, it is easy to add to the cart, I know I've done it before.
srt8madness is offline Find More Posts by srt8madness
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:01 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,684 Posts
Yes, the buyer has to add the free item to cart after the total is $100+
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:32 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Dec 2006
661 Posts
OP didn't read the instructions. You need to add to cart, no where does it say will be added "automatically".

I read the instructions and got the freebie
doonunder is offline Find More Posts by doonunder
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:58 AM
Porro et Sursum
Australia, New South Wales, Lismore
Joined Oct 2010
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabearflying View Post
HaHaHaHa a few stickers. Must have really piled em on.
Flying V is offline Find More Posts by Flying V
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:03 PM
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined May 2009
349 Posts
It wasnt easy getting the free gifts. Sometimes they would show up at 0 and other times they would show up with a charge and then I would add the item again at over 100 to see the discount. If you were trying to get one of the free airplanes, then it was even trickier as they didnt last very long. I can see why you have to add the item to your order though as you still had to pay shipping for the item, so shipping on the mig probably added 30 to 50 bucks to your order.
hemiblas is offline Find More Posts by hemiblas
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:24 AM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,561 Posts
had the same issue after putting the $100 worth of items in my cart there was no free item so i went to the item page for the item they said I would get for free and added it to my cart and the item then showed up in my cart at $0.00. so HK did not add it automatically so i added it manually after the total of $100 was in my cart and it worked for me.
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:15 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,274 Posts
Bent Props,
t has to be manually added at the time the item is offered. Did you add it to your cart?
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy