HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2011, 03:23 PM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Jan 2010
393 Posts
Discussion
Simple Upgrading Storm Launcher with Single Brushless Motor. Mod #1

Like many I was fascinated by Air Hog's Storm launcher years back. Despite its underpoweredness, its EPP body and fascinating Land Sea and Air capability are two of many factors making its fame.
Finally got time around to turn a deceased Airhog storm launcher into brushless flying machine. Compared to many other BL conversions, which are mostly on twin brushless, I like RCPowers (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=542534) setup. Since I have spare SL floats (made from durable EPP and molded well), I decided to semi-scratch build a SL-version of BL hydroplane/glider. For most experienced modeller the conversion seems easy to follow from the pictures in my blog.

Some highlights:
1. Use Blu-Cor foam sheet. 6mm Depron would be better.
2. Dimensions: 21" W x 27" L. CG is at ~110mm behind the Leading edge (between the twin floats). I find it is still a little nose heavy but very stable.
3. Towerpro 2408-21 is inexpensive and balance the model well. With 8x4 prop, it draws ~16A (~170W). AUW is ~400g (from 1000mAh 3s 30C to 1300mAh 3s 25C). The lighter battery the better it performed.
4. Motor is angled a little up and right to counteract the torque. This model flied great as you can see from the video, but turning left is much easier than to the right, perhaps because of the torque.
5. I used one CF tube plus bamboo skewer (joined by aluminum tube) to reinforce the body. You can still see the original stormlauncher tail fins near the elevon. They perhaps helped original SL float better in water. I may cut them out later.
6. The hatch/fuse is pretty crowded. A 2200mah 3s might be able to fit in if I switch to Towerpro 2409-12 motor (~300 W).
7. Motor stick mount is glued and supported/sandwiched by two foam blocks, then glued to the fuse. ESC was left outside the hatch, just for convenience (of course good for cooling).
8. Add a little up elevon since this hydrofoam is essentially a flying wing configuration.

The model lands on power, just like the original SL.

Flight videos:
RC Stormlauncher brushless conversion. Flight 1.wmv (2 min 26 sec)

RC flying boat. Part 2 (2 min 45 sec)
edwen303 is online now Find More Posts by edwen303
Last edited by edwen303; Dec 24, 2011 at 10:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:43 AM
United States, NJ
Joined Nov 2011
86 Posts
Wow, that looks like it flies great.

I too have a fascination with these. I just finished my brushless storm launcher, only about 5 years late, lol. The single motor setup definitely looks easier to fly. I've been wanting to build a MH1 or F1 so thanks for another idea, I'm sure my SL will be in pieces before to long.

This is like the 3rd thread about the storm launcher/hydro's in the past month. Maybe they will make a comeback, haha!
KC10 CC is offline Find More Posts by KC10 CC
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:07 PM
Joined Jan 2010
393 Posts
Hi KC10,

I have tried one year ago with the twin vertical stabs and elevon, using single brushless. For some reason it always flipped over on taking off. Now I researched on RCPOWERS hydrofoam and one of them said something like "keep the prop have 1/2"~3/4" below the deck", this could be the key to prevent flipping over (caused by torque). The rudder really made this Blucor stormlauncher hybrid fun running on both ground and in the air.
Twin brushless requires twin ESC and high kv motor, eventually will add up the weight.

I am working on single BL on the original Stormlauncher body, both elevon and rudder. With 700-800mah 3s battery, the flying weight looks like ~250g and 100W. Hopefully maiden this new SL this weekend.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:19 AM
Joined Jan 2010
393 Posts
Single Brushless motor upgrading Storm launcher. Mod #2

Just come pictures. It took less time to do this mod since no regluing the floats like the first one in this thread. Flying weight around 240g (500mah 3s to 800mah 3s battery). I am using Hobbyking FC 28-05 2840kv motor with GWS 6x3 3-blade prop, full throttle ~14A.

Wait until wind go down to maiden the new mod.
Last edited by edwen303; Dec 25, 2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 04:58 PM
220 221 Whatever it takes
USA, IL, Belleville
Joined Dec 2009
276 Posts
I have a pristine SL that I have flown stock a few times. It was exciting the 1st time it actually lifted off the water at the campground we were at. I seem to have poor control due to signal lag. Is the stock radio really as bad as it seems to be or is it because it is on 27mHz? I have 2 of the stock lipo batteries for it with chargers. The only mad it has is the removal of the horizintal piece that I read should be removed and remove the prop guards. Wish I had as good of control of it as my HH micro planes.
captdave221 is offline Find More Posts by captdave221
Old Dec 23, 2011, 07:23 PM
i can't learn fast enough
Aubur, NY-- Finger Lakes
Joined Mar 2009
201 Posts
Can anyone point me to some plans for this beauty.
Looks like it would do well in the snow, if we ever get any.
Thanks
Terry
Terry Glenn is offline Find More Posts by Terry Glenn
Old Dec 23, 2011, 08:54 PM
Joined Jan 2010
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captdave221 View Post
I have a pristine SL that I have flown stock a few times. It was exciting the 1st time it actually lifted off the water at the campground we were at. I seem to have poor control due to signal lag. Is the stock radio really as bad as it seems to be or is it because it is on 27mHz? I have 2 of the stock lipo batteries for it with chargers. The only mad it has is the removal of the horizintal piece that I read should be removed and remove the prop guards. Wish I had as good of control of it as my HH micro planes.
Hi Captdave,

Believe it or not, all the above two mods are done on the used airframes I bought years back from ebay. And I am still flying a new one in stock brushed motors. It is great to see the stock taking off from water. Two batteries? I wish I hadn't given away as gift to my friend. Another one of mine will quit after 10sec full throttle, perhaps battery went bad already.

One of mine was hit by a wave (I actually attempted to fly it in the beach ), and the electronics got shorted and the SL died unreparably. It seemed that the waterproof bag leaked after those many years from the previous owner.

The stock radio has a range of ~100 yards (?), and make sure you pull out the antenna all the way. If I remember correctly, 27mhz or 72mhz radio shared a common flaw: when your antenna is pointing right into the vehicle, the reception is the poorest. The stock radio is not fully proportional, more like a standard shift car with 1~5 gears. So the control is not nearly as good as pro-level 27/72/2.4ghz radio.

Removal of upper horizontal stab and pro guard is the first thing that needs to be done. Enjoy the storm launcher!

And if its motor quit or battery dies, just go brushless
Old Dec 24, 2011, 01:52 AM
Joined Jan 2010
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Glenn View Post
Can anyone point me to some plans for this beauty.
Looks like it would do well in the snow, if we ever get any.
Thanks
Terry
SL will absolutely love skidding around over snow or ice, as this skidding will cause no scratch on the bottom! Looking at SL on ice or snow will make those RC car guys jealous, not to mention flying.

I just tested the second SL mod (230g or 8oz on 450mah 3s, GWS 6x3 3-blade prop) on the front door street, way too fast, probably nose heavy. Will testfly it tomorrow.

Just found out SL had a brother, Robbe Gemini (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1048498). Great brushless flying machine, great idea using inverted gull-wing design to have less prop clarence issue. I bet it is not difficult to scratch build that type all terrain flier.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 10:42 AM
Joined Jan 2010
393 Posts
maiden the mod #2 (original airframe)

Maiden the original airframe mod this morning.
10mph wind, so just simple taking off and an aileron roll. Confirmed the CG is pretty much the same as the stock (1-1/4" from the leading edge of the deck). Had to use 610mah 3s to balance the model. 800mah 3s would be better. Landing into the wind in one piece

Hind thought: added wing like RCPOWERS suggested as I did with mod #1 would make this small SL more stable and help move the CG back from the LE.

Also cut away the added wing from mod #1 and testflew this morning, CG is now way forward and less stable.
Last edited by edwen303; Dec 25, 2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:00 PM
newbie toy r/c hobbyist
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2007
34 Posts
Wow nice mods wish i had your skill.
I got two sl one never flown the other always flown stock abou 2 years old. I was about to upgrade to brushless motors since they stock finally died. Contacted dons rc motors since he used to sell the strong launcher upgrade kit. 2 esc, 2 motors mounts etc, he stated he doesnt sell it anymore.. Now im stuck not sure what motors, mounts, props and or battery 2s or 3s to go with.
nigwhyrito is offline Find More Posts by nigwhyrito
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:06 PM
United States, NJ
Joined Nov 2011
86 Posts
He doesn't sell the kit but still has everything you need. I just finished mine up. Check it out.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1540102
KC10 CC is offline Find More Posts by KC10 CC
Old Jan 03, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Jan 2010
393 Posts
Thanks Nig!

I have been testing different power setup, so far the first and bigger mod flew much much better and enjoyable than the second one, 150 W at ~400g weight. Tried Towerpro 2409-12 with GWS 8X4 and 1500mah 3s, AUW at 500g, lots of power and good vertical, but not as agile as 2408-21 with GWS 8X4 and 1000mah 3s.

The second mod (with original airframe) can do some areobatics but needs 100W at ~250g weight. Test showed the hobbyking FC 28-05 1600kv (APC 7x5 prop) appears better than FC 28-05 2840kv motor.

Twin BL mods involves minimal cutting and gluing, like KC10 has done. Here are some interesting motors I came across in Hobbyking:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=6584
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=19834
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=5432
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=6552

Using twin BL and twin ESC, you can use differential thrust for turning (instead of rudder) just like the stock SL. I found the V-tail mixer (mix throttle and rudder channel) like this one can do the trick:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6321

Whichever way to mod, Build the model light (low wing loading) and you won't regret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigwhyrito View Post
Wow nice mods wish i had your skill.
I got two sl one never flown the other always flown stock abou 2 years old. I was about to upgrade to brushless motors since they stock finally died. Contacted dons rc motors since he used to sell the strong launcher upgrade kit. 2 esc, 2 motors mounts etc, he stated he doesnt sell it anymore.. Now im stuck not sure what motors, mounts, props and or battery 2s or 3s to go with.