HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:07 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2011
368 Posts
Question
Is Syma S107 a toy? Vs Serious/Hobby Level helis?

I'm new to the RC Heli world... bought a mini (3-channel) from Sams club last week, had no idea how much fun they could be. Ended up returning that one when it started losing communication with transmitter. By that time I had already started investigating other alternatives. Have read a lot of good stuff regarding the Syma S107 and there appears to be lots of mods and parts available. I've also spent a bunch of time at my local Fry's where they have about 20 different RC models from $20 to up near $200.
I did pick up a Swann Air Cruiser (3 channel).
Anyway, I stopped into a hobby shop yesterday and they have the Blade line of RCs... the guy behind the counter referred to all the other birds from Frys, etc. as toys and not hobby/serious units. Not sure if he was just being a hard butt or if there really is a flight/quality difference between say a Blade mCX2 and the Syma S107 type heli?
Are they saying all 3-channel copters are toys and not for the serious flyer?
Thanks in advance.
Oh, my Syma S107 should be here later today.
Ken
cpuken is offline Find More Posts by cpuken
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:40 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Don't worry about it, the Syma S107 is a great little toy heli and at a reasonable price also. All RC/IR helis are toys! regardless of the price, and all of them are manufactured in China irregardless the name label or price, so don't let yourself get sucked into the self serving sales/marketing BS, just buy what you like and what you can afford and have fun!
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:00 AM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
I agree. Don't worry about comments from those belittling these "toys."

In the case of sellers it is about profit levels. In the case of owners it is "misery loves company."

Just fly.
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:32 AM
To Soar Like An Eagle!
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Dec 2007
6,687 Posts
I have all kinds, the expensive and the cheap. They are all fun to fly in the right conditions. The Syma S107 flies best indoors because of it being IR. However it is a grat little heli to start with. If after some time you are still interested in flying and your buget allows, you can move up to the more expensive ones.

Remember the thing is to have fun.

The local Giant Tiger has the Syma S107 on for $27, a good price considering that there is no waiting for it to arrive in the mail with broken blades or puffed batteries. That has been my experience with buying from cheap sellers in China. My last order fron LighTake had a broken blade, what a hassle to get a replacement set and they could not even match the colour.

In paying a few dollars more and buying local, if it is defective I can exchange it within the hour.
frieslander is online now Find More Posts by frieslander
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:57 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,413 Posts
To me, what sets a hobby grade helicopter apart from a toy is SUPPORT. No one will argue that Blade is a hobby grade line, because you could walk into any local hobby store, and they would likely to have every replacement part available on their shelves. On the other hand, most of the toy grade helicopters you find in the department stores, you would have a hard time finding any replacement parts for them. So, if the toy breaks, it could be the end of it. Versus, if a hobby grade breaks, you walk into a LHS to get a part and fix your "hobby".

Having said that, the S107 is one of those toys that has lots of replacement parts. Albeit that you still could hardly find them in LHS, they are mostly available online, but available. Therefore, the line between a toy and a hobby grade is getting blur. For the most part, I would still classify the S107 as a toy, but it is a very great toy! That's what got me into the "hobby".
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:02 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpuken View Post
I... Not sure if he was just being a hard butt or if there really is a flight/quality difference between say a Blade mCX2 and the Syma S107 type heli?
Yes there is a difference... several differences...
The 107 is easier to fly.
It survives crashes well.
It's not that big a problem when it hits something.
The mCX is pretty close to the same in vulnerability, but is more active... goes where you don't want it to go, quicker...
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Dec 20, 2011, 01:54 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Wikepedia says a toy is:

1.An object for a child to play with, typically a model or miniature replica of something.
2.An object, esp. a gadget or machine, regarded as providing amusement for for an adult: "in 1914 the car was still a rich man's toy".

IMO for most of us, these helis all meet the definition of a toy. Or maybe you could call them a gadget or machine or recreational equipment or whatever because most of us fly them for fun and recreation. And even very expensive toys are still toys. IMO anyone that thinks something like the s107 is a 'crappy' toy while their Blade or Trex is a real heli, is just missing out on a lot of inexpensive indoor fun and relaxing flying.

When I got my first heli, an s107, I didn't know about 3ch vs 4ch or mode 4 vs mode 2 or coaxial vs fixed pitch - I just knew that when I hit the throttle and that little marvel of engineering floated in front of my face - that was amazing! And I was hooked!

Some will say that a coaxial heli, especially a 3 channel, will 'not teach you anything'. That may be true but it taught me how much fun flying a rc heli can be. I enjoy my 3ch and 4ch coax's as well as my single rotors and am now looking to a small cp. Each step is a welcome challenge.

Some stay with the easy hover of a s107 while others move on to faster and more challenging helis. Many of us enjoy both and find it relatively easy to switch from a mode 2 to a mode 4 heli.

Hobby grade helis are constructed more in a modular fashion and all parts are available and generally easy to install. They also tend to have 2.4ghz transmitters for more range and less interferance. They cost more but most of the time you get more. Having said that, a lot of new 4ch coax's and fp's are now also very inexpensive but easy to fly.

But I agree with Heli Pad that this distinction is getting somewhat blurred. Basic parts are now available for many of these entry level models and many now also have 2.4ghz transmitters. One the first things I check before buying a new heli is if parts are available. If not, but I still want it, I may buy 2 of them.

I think the manufacturers of these 'toy' helicopters are beginning to think more long term. Some have finally realized that selling disposable helis is not good for long term business. By providing replacement parts, they not only make more money, but also retain more customers.

I'm glad I got that off my chest - I feel better now.
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Dec 20, 2011, 02:53 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
Definitely agree that all our RC are toys regardless of cost or sophistication but that being said, I'm not a big fan of 3ch helis regardless of price, size or maker. Maybe it's because I can't get used to the rudder on the right stick but also because a 4ch co-ax or fp is not much more in cost but better performing.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Dec 20, 2011, 04:29 PM
You fly birds, I fly HAWKS!
Joined Dec 2011
46 Posts
Hi Ken, I responded to your other thread. I also recommended the Syma 107g, coincidence!
They guy who said that the Syma s107g is a toy is wrong. Hes just trying to get you to buy the expensive things.
How ever i do thing there is a difference between toy helis and hobby helis. toy helis
break very easy and are readlly available in stores. Their almost all 2 channel helis. I consider Air Hogs a toy company.
Hobby helis are far more sophisticated. Their easy to find and professionals use them. Depending on your reasons both toys and hobby helis are good helis. Have fun Flying!
BluHeart is offline Find More Posts by BluHeart
Old Dec 20, 2011, 04:55 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
"Professionals"... what are professionals? Professionals to me are those that can make a living doing something, in this case... There are only a handful of people that could be considered pros in RC helis and the helis they fly in competition are large and expensive...

The Syma s107g is most definitely a toy if you can consider any of our helis toys...
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:54 PM
MicroHeliPilot III
Florida
Joined Aug 2010
150 Posts
s107 is a toy

the blade MSR is a toy

s107 is cheaper, imho moar fun
FreakFlow is offline Find More Posts by FreakFlow
Old Dec 22, 2011, 02:46 AM
Joined Jul 2011
252 Posts
s107 is a perfect entry level copter,you can say it's a toy,but a interesting toy
LightLake is offline Find More Posts by LightLake
Old Dec 22, 2011, 07:49 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,438 Posts
You are getting a lot of responses from 3 channel fans and those who don't want to offend them, as they can be very sensitive. Ask this in another forum and your responses will be a lot different, if you get any at all.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:34 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,379 Posts
Until I can send one to the store for a beer, they're all toys.

What does it matter what they're called? If it does what you want that's all you need to know. When you want to do more, there's good stuff out there but it'll cost you.

I wouldn't cover my whole kitchen counter with 3-channels. Again, that is.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:09 PM
United States, PA, Reading
Joined Mar 2009
482 Posts
I sometimes pick up a 3-ch heli if one crosses my path at my lhs. They are fun,but they fail usually quickly.For me, they are a a good source for the "parts-box" after they punk out.
tippytoe is offline Find More Posts by tippytoe