HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:31 AM
Joined May 2011
13 Posts
Discussion
jr hack to fit a frysky 2.4ghz module

Hi all,

A friend of mine has a Jr xp6102 and wanted to convert it to a 2.4ghz system.
He ordered the frysky module and receiver not knowing that his transmitter doesnt have a module on the back that would be replaced with the new one, now I have seen a couple of conversions/hacks for the futabas and turnigy transmitters but not for the jr's. Does anyone have any experience doing it to this particular model transmitter.

Thank you

will
willydtb is offline Find More Posts by willydtb
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2011, 03:56 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willydtb View Post
Hi all,

A friend of mine has a Jr xp6102 and wanted to convert it to a 2.4ghz system.
He ordered the frysky module and receiver not knowing that his transmitter doesnt have a module on the back that would be replaced with the new one, now I have seen a couple of conversions/hacks for the futabas and turnigy transmitters but not for the jr's. Does anyone have any experience doing it to this particular model transmitter.

Thank you

will
There's lots of information available on converting that transmitter. What you need is the FrSky (NOT FrySky!) DIY module.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Y_Module_.html

It installs just like the Assan, Corona, and Fly Dream DIY (hack) modules, so search for 2.4 conversion without mentioning FrSky.

Here's one of the first I turned up on Google. It happens to be about FrSky.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1524924
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:45 PM
Joined May 2005
829 Posts
I converted my 6102 using the FrSky DIY kit, which is basically a shrink-wrapped version of the module with the button and LED on a little cable. You can do the same thing with the module though. Just remove it from the case. There are only 3 wires you need to worry about. Just cut them where they go into the RF deck (or desolder them like I did). Power (Red), PPM (Yellow), Ground (black). have the antenna come up through where the 72 MHz is, or drill a hold just in front or beside the 72 MHz antenna hold and mount it there. If you ditch the 72 MHz deck you can use the hole for the crystal for the LED and push button.

My JR radios (6102 and 7202) switch between 72 MHz and 2.4 Ghz with a little toggle switch. I removed the shrinkwrap, taped it up with black tape, and stuck it between the 72 MHz antenna and the board underneath it. Mounted the 2.4 GHz antenna next to the 72 MHz antenna, and a toggle switch next to that. It's pretty clean and compact when it's all done. I'll post a few pics if you'd like.

All in all, whether you do the dual-mode conversion or just chuck the 72 MHz deck, the conversion is very clean and un-intrusive.
caseih is offline Find More Posts by caseih
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:41 PM
Columbus, OH
Joined Apr 2003
45 Posts
JR 7202 conversion

I would love to see how you converted the 7202 to Frsky 2.4 module and still retain the ability to use 72.
lsf810 is offline Find More Posts by lsf810
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:07 PM
Joined May 2005
829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsf810 View Post
I would love to see how you converted the 7202 to Frsky 2.4 module and still retain the ability to use 72.
Here are some pics. There is just barely room for the DIY board under the antenna. This one is a DHT, 2-way, so there is a little bus that sticks off one side. For now I'm not using it, but there's still room to route a small ribbon cable from the bus to the outside when I need it. I had to bend the little bus connector a a bit so it would fit next to the pot. In my case straight pins would have worked best, but the DHT ones are 90 degrees. Also the DHT has a toggle switch for the mode. I placed that on one side and the power/ppm switch on the other side of the antenna mount. As you can see also I cut the power and ppm wires to the RF deck and extended them so they'd reach the switch I used. The ground wires are all attached together. There's a little black wire on the underside of the RF deck (a ground) that you have to be careful not to pull off.

The little board with the LED and push button I send out through the crystal hole since there is no crystal on the 7202 RF deck. On my 6102 I mounted it on the RF deck still but down and on the left side, with two holes drilled in the back cover for them to stick out. Was pretty pleased how it worked out. I'll post a pick of that a bit later.

Anyway in 72 MHz mode the RF deck can be programmed just like it was before, but in 2.4 GHz mode the channel assignment doesn't make any difference.
Last edited by caseih; Dec 23, 2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 01:28 PM
Joined May 2005
829 Posts
Here's the back of my 6102 showing the placement of the little circuit board. On this radio the switch between RF decks is mounted on the back cover at the top of the picture. If I did it again I'd place it up near the antenna mount like how I did it on my 7202. It's just a bit easier and cleaner as you don't have an extra bunch of wires that you have to worry about when replacing the back cover on the unit.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 04:06 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,947 Posts
Quote:
Anyway in 72 MHz mode the RF deck can be programmed just like it was before, but in 2.4 GHz mode the channel assignment doesn't make any difference.
Could you explain please. Is this a synthesized 72 deck? As you suggest, channels are meaningless in 2.4.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 08:43 PM
Joined May 2005
829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Could you explain please. Is this a synthesized 72 deck? As you suggest, channels are meaningless in 2.4.
Yes as I said the 7202 doesn't use a crystal. The RF deck can do any 72 MHz channel. What I meant is that switching the power and ppm wires in no way inhibits the ability to program the 72 MHz RF deck in the same way it always worked.

In 2.4 GHz mode you can select whatever 72 MHz channel you want in the model setup as the channel number only affects the operation of the RF deck. My theory is that the programming wires (6 or 7 white wires) must carry the channel number in binary and then when the RF deck is powered up it must set itself. Whatever the case, it still works after the mod.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 08:16 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseih View Post
Yes as I said the 7202 doesn't use a crystal. The RF deck can do any 72 MHz channel. What I meant is that switching the power and ppm wires in no way inhibits the ability to program the 72 MHz RF deck in the same way it always worked.

In 2.4 GHz mode you can select whatever 72 MHz channel you want in the model setup as the channel number only affects the operation of the RF deck. My theory is that the programming wires (6 or 7 white wires) must carry the channel number in binary and then when the RF deck is powered up it must set itself. Whatever the case, it still works after the mod.
Thanks for the explanation. I thought it must be something like that.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 12:11 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1 Posts
PPM Reading From JR Body Box Using Futaba Decoder

Hi ...
Some people may be like to have JR PPM Decoder Using Futaba PPM Decoder...
Futaba Using TTL Waveform in Negative Mode and JR using PPM in Positive Mode...the other point is JR Switch its Waveform between (-1.5v and 0v)...
This Link (http://users.belgacom.net/TX2TX/tx2t...h/tx2txgb1.htm) explaining all of detail but the schematic for inverter circuit is not correct .
Using Schematic in attachment that i designed it..
point 1 : "INPUT" Input is signal PPM Producing by JR Radio . and you should connected JR Ground to PIN1 of P1 and JR Signal must be connected to P2...
POINT2: You can use this circuit without zener(4.8v)..in this case the input voltage (PIN1 of "OUTPUT")must be 5v...
Thanks alot
Yahya Sadeghi is offline Find More Posts by Yahya Sadeghi