SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 20, 2011, 02:00 AM
mg3
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2011
17 Posts
Discussion
NE solo pro v2 vs GW xieda 9958

Hi guys, firstly i would personally like to thank everyone for making these forums full of great tips and information.

Basically im looking for my first 4ch heli (after mastering the s107g for a year now). but i am stumped as to which heli to choose out of the NE solo pro v2 and the GW xieda 9958.

I can get the 9958 at my LHS for a resonable price and i feel that buying locally from a shop gives me more warranty and from my past experiences with the shop i am very happy with there service. They also have some parts available. I have heard that it has a few problems regarding safety eg. no cut out switch on charger, and when transmitter signal is lost heli keeps on flying away.

Now for the Solo pro, I can also get this for a resnobale price on trademe (NZ version of Ebay) which also has some spare parts available. but i have heard alot of bad things regarding the electronics on this helicopter and when i look at the official forum for this heli i see that A LOT of people are having problems with this heli.

So I would like to hear others opinions, experiences or any other information that may help me. Thanks in advanced I look forward to your replies.

Cheers Mark.
mg3 is offline Find More Posts by mg3
Last edited by mg3; Dec 20, 2011 at 02:01 AM. Reason: ps.. Im a Noob if you hadnt already gathered
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2011, 02:11 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,603 Posts
I have both, so I can make a direct comparison. In stock form the Solo Pro is the better heli. It listens better to your stick inputs, the 9958 is drifting more in turns, feels less direct.

The stock TX of the Solo Pro has more features, it has a display indicating trim settings, throttle percentage, and what rate you are flying on, advanced (with longer servo throws, so more agility) or beginner (reduced throws). It also allows instant change between mode 1 and 2 with as little as loosening one single screw, rotating the antenna 180 degrees, and fixing it to the TX again with the screw. Besides it has subtrimming (keeps the trim indicator in the middle while making adjustments so you keep equal response to both sides), allows to alter the maximum travel of each servo and even the gyro hold can be adjusted to your preference.

Maintenance is also easier on the Solo Pro, as most electrical components come with plugs so no soldering required to replace a tail motor for instance. And parts can be more readily available as this heli has been rebranded by other companies, so you are not forced to order spare parts from China with a 2 weeks' wait.

The 9958 also has things going for it. The stock TX may not be much, but the heli can be bound to the Turnigy 9X transmitter, which has more features than the stock Nine Eagles TX. And as the 9958 is mostly a cloned mSR, some parts are a drop in replacement, or require little effort to make fit, improving it's handling dramatically.

If you are new to helis, and don't want to have to tinker a lot first to get your heli to fly better, I'd say, get the Solo Pro. If you don't mind a little tinkering to get it to fly as it should have been flying from the box, get the 9958.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Last edited by SoloProFan; Dec 20, 2011 at 02:18 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 02:18 AM
mg3
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2011
17 Posts
Thank you for the quick responce, what about reliability/durabillity of electronics, motors, rotor heads etc.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 02:34 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg3 View Post
Thank you for the quick responce, what about reliability/durabillity of electronics, motors, rotor heads etc.
Both heli's have a weak spot in the head, with the Solo Pro it's the blade pivots, with the 9959 these pins are part of the blades, and also break easily. With the Solo Pro you can fix it with a cocktail stick, or similar rod, with the 9958 you need new blades, or replace the blade holder and blades by Blade mCX ones.

The motors on the Solo Pro have earned a good reputation, as these are also used as upgrade motors for micro foam planes like the HobbyZone Champ. But I haven't heard anything bad about the 9958 motors, so I assume these are pretty good.

Lately there seem to be more Solo Pro board failures. Some are related to using the stock flight battery, which has trouble keeping voltage under load, and this can mess with the receiver's programming. And there are indications bad solder joints on the board are a partial cause. With a small soldering tip you can reflow the solder, solving the issue. Haven't heard of any 9958 board failures, but there have been some issues where the tail starts vibrating and the heli starts slowly spinning counter clockwise.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 02:51 AM
mg3
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2011
17 Posts
Ok thats interesting thanks for the responses, so from what i ve gathered with a few upgrade parts from the msr like fly bar and rotors from the blade mCx the 9958 could be a good reliable, little heli with good flight performance.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 03:45 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,603 Posts
Quote:
Ok thats interesting thanks for the responses, so from what i ve gathered with a few upgrade parts from the msr like fly bar and rotors from the blade mCx the 9958 could be a good reliable, little heli with good flight performance.
If you also add the Turnigy 9x transmitter, yes. The stock TX is very basic, no visual trim indicators, just beeps, and the sticks have a big "dead zone" around the middle, where stick movement means no response from the heli. In stock form I only dare fly the 9958 indoors with hovering on the spot, no circuits.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 04:37 AM
mg3
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2011
17 Posts
At this stage i am leaning towards the 9958 mainly because i can get it at my LHS and i would rather be replacing blades and rotor heads on the 9958 rather than circuit boards. on a solo pro. Although if i did get the 9588 i would use the stock transmitter as i am not wanting to fork out the extra $$ for the Turnigy 9x at this stage. And i am used to a very basic tx coming from a cheap 3ch coaxial. It would be interesting to see other members opinions/thoughts.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 05:17 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,603 Posts
Does your LHS stock other similar helis? Like the V911 or the Jiuchon 9002?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 05:20 AM
mg3
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2011
17 Posts
No, not that i know of. Whys that?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:15 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,603 Posts
Quote:
No, not that i know of. Whys that?
That would give you more options to choose from. You know there are also rebranded versions of the Solo Pro for instance, that a LHS might have.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 07:42 AM
Joined Nov 2011
54 Posts
Aha! I hadn't seen anybody making this admission when I first used and wrote about the 9958, I said I found it quite difficult to control in a smallish room and I was made to believe that I just needed to practice as this was no coaxial (which was my only short previous experience).

Which I did (practice) and I can now fly it (the stock heli) close to the walls doing the round of the room more or less, so it makes me feel good that you still only dare to hover! Though I'm sure you didn't really mean it, I mean these things can take hits, mine has taken more than 100 and apart form two new sets of main blades (broken pins) it has developed no other problem. So I say do dare to do more

[QUOTE=SoloPro;20185153... In stock form I only dare fly the 9958 indoors with hovering on the spot, no circuits.[/QUOTE]
YianPap is offline Find More Posts by YianPap
Last edited by YianPap; Dec 20, 2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:25 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YianPap View Post
Aha! I hadn't seen anybody making this admission when I first used and wrote about the 9958, I said I found it quite difficult to control in a smallish room and I was made to believe that I just needed to practice as this was no coaxial (which was my only short previous experience).

Which I did (practice) and I can now fly it (the stock heli) close to the walls doing the round of the room more or less, so it makes me feel good that you still only dare to hover! Though I'm sure you didn't really mean it, I mean these things can take hits, mine has taken more than 100 and apart form two new sets of main blades (broken pins) it has developed no other problem. So I say do dare to do more

Even with quite some micro FP experience, I managed to break the blades on the first flight of my 9958. It did some TBE, then I landed the heli but a blade brushed the side of the counch before the main rotor had throttled down. That was all it took. The difference in control between the 9958 in stock form and the Solo Pro was very obvious after I flew the Bravo SX after flying the 9958 for some days in a row. I was constantly over correcting with the Bravo SX, as I had gotten used to having to move the stick a lot to get the 9958 to do what you want. After that, I decided to keep the 9958 for outdoor fun only, where there is room to let it slide through a corner, and the Nine Eagles birds for indoor and outdoor use.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:03 AM
Joined Nov 2011
54 Posts
Hey SoloPro,

I think you must have been very unlucky... I've brushed "soft" objects like a couch or bed, many many times with throttle still on and no broken blades. I only broke the pins when hitting hard objects with throttle on, like walls or a metal lamp. And even when this happened I'd say it only broke maybe one every four times...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
Even with quite some micro FP experience, I managed to break the blades on the first flight of my 9958. It did some TBE, then I landed the heli but a blade brushed the side of the counch before the main rotor had throttled down. That was all it took. .
YianPap is offline Find More Posts by YianPap
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:41 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,603 Posts
Maybe the blade pin was brittle to begin with, manufacturing fault.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:55 AM
ooops
Dekalb,Illinois
Joined Oct 2003
1,452 Posts
Thought I'd give my 2 cents... Have had a Proto Max ( SP) for a year now. I have spare parts and have yet to replace any. But that's my style. I have always seemed to have to replace few parts on planes and heli's.
StCalvin is offline Find More Posts by StCalvin