HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:52 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,812 Posts
Good tip Keith! I'll try and remember that one.

Looking pretty good Jeff, wish I could build that fast!

Jordan, I think you have the hardware for my plane...? All I have is the servo covers..?

All I have managed to do on mine is sand the carbon on the wing's servo beds amd put down some tape on the wing surface.

Shadow and I will be putting ballast tubes in our planes. I highly recommend you all plan to do the same, this plane builds out pretty light and could really use it on the bigger wind days.

Most of the Flying Fish kits sold in Europe did not have flaps, they tend to be blessed with nice big grassy landing areas over there. Jealous.

I also have a plan that will make top driving the flaps much easier on this plane and others that are similar.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:53 AM
Semper Fidelis
USA, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Jul 2005
1,445 Posts
+1 on the tow. I've also seen it laid out on clear tape, wet out and taped in place. You could use a balloon or chunk of foam to compress it if need be. When cured, just rip the tape off.

I really like the looks of this thing. Anyone care to compare it with some other 60" moldies? I've had a miniblade, destiny, bird, and currently fly an ocelot (although not too much). This seems much like the sunbird.

I'm not quite following what you guys are doing with the top drive flaps. Wouldn't you want the horns shorter and angled toward the hinge?
Big Gas is offline Find More Posts by Big Gas
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:01 PM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
1,003 Posts
I was thinking that too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeevyhouse View Post
Hee hee... loved your carbon tow pics, Jeff.

Here's a helpful (albeit belated) hint. Get the tow nice and straight, and put a couple drops of CA glue on both ends. Try to spread out/flatten that spot before the CA kicks off. This helps hold all the strands together while handling it. That will also give you a good place to grab with a pair of needle nose pliers or forceps, helping you feed the wetted out tow where it needs to go.

-Keith
Yea... after I did this, I was thinking just that! Glad to hear I won't have to guess on the next time I use it.... Great tip!

Jeff
oletimer is offline Find More Posts by oletimer
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:08 PM
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
1,003 Posts
Gorilla Glue?

Morning John;

I use the Gorilla Glue that is amber and thick like molassis. Is that different glue? Ours expands and requires moisture to kick it off, but expands several times larger, but makes a very tough and solid joint!
I also thought the horn was a bit tall, but comes with this brass one, and the top cover indicates it is for a fairly high mount. Also cound not get her lower due to real estate reasons. Will give it a try and let you all know how the movement is, but I have enough room to make another hole and grind this one down if need be! Also will clean up all the over glueing mess when dry tonight or next time on it.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:13 PM
Semper Fidelis
Joined Jul 2005
1,445 Posts
Gorilla CA. Get some, Walmart, Lowes, wherever. It's CA with some sort of rubberized micro particles mixed in. The joint is not brittle like typical CA. Put a little on and use your favorite kicker. You will love this stuff.

I also like the maple syrup foaming stuff too, and the faster, yet not as strong white variety.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:21 PM
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
1,003 Posts
That sounds great! The problem with normal CA is it is strong, but brital. Rubberized CA would be like Shoe Goo on steroids!
Nice tip. This is the kind of things that help everyone out. Something you would think is common knowledge, turns out to go viral and helps everyone!
And I deal with hybrid Epoxy Resins in my line of work.

Thanks John!
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:36 PM
Aloft Hobbies
Joined Sep 2003
5,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gas View Post
I really like the looks of this thing. Anyone care to compare it with some other 60" moldies? I've had a miniblade, destiny, bird, and currently fly an ocelot (although not too much). This seems much like the sunbird.

I'm not quite following what you guys are doing with the top drive flaps. Wouldn't you want the horns shorter and angled toward the hinge?
The Genesis is pretty similar to the planes you mentioned, but with a different airfoil and a nice roomy fuselage. I compare it to my Ocelot, but the Ocelot is lighter. Pretty similar other wise in terms of materials used, areas and sizes. Also costs about $100 less.

The Genesis with flaps is not pre-drilled for the flap linkage. Similar to the Spider 60. They leave it up to the builder if they want to top drive or bottom drive. Installing this hardware accurately on both flaps is a tricky bit of work, especially if you have never done a top drive before.

I imagine this plane to fill 2 categories very well for slope pilots. It is a great first molded plane thanks to it's simplicity and low price. It is also a great sport model for the experienced pilot. A bring it to every slope kind of plane. With a fast airfoil section and hard turn banging turn fun, it is just a fun plane to fly.

-Wayne
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 04, 2012, 12:50 AM
Aloft Hobbies
Joined Sep 2003
5,812 Posts
Thought I'd share a video of Jordan's Genesis ripping up the slope.

Genisis Sloper @ Brown Bluff New Years Day, Pilot Jordan (1 min 12 sec)

Looking good!
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 04, 2012, 01:50 AM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Thought I'd share a video of Jordan's Genesis ripping up the slope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAGhN...layer_embedded

Looking good!
Ya in the vid it was a little nose-heavy still I could tell because inverted flight was a bit lagging and it had some up trim in the elevator when I landed but at browns bluff it had really good energy retention and could bang a nice turn. Roll rate was satisfying and the noise it made when going by sounded like something much more expensive . Can't wait to see more of em flying in the states!!!
Mr. Combat Certain is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Jan 04, 2012, 02:08 AM
Aloft Hobbies
Joined Sep 2003
5,812 Posts
So, you ready to instal a ballast tube?
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 04, 2012, 11:16 AM
Semper Fidelis
Joined Jul 2005
1,445 Posts
The noise is really what it's all about.

Were you running full span on your ailerons? Can't tell for sure but it looked like a bit of differential would help, or carefully check your throws.

Ballast, yes, especially at BB.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 06:39 AM
Whitchurch,Shropshire. UK
Joined Jul 2008
1,199 Posts
Hi,
Had a great day out with the F.F yesterday , the wind was between 40 - 50 mph, so loaded the bird with 225 grams of brass. She flew a dream.
The site we were at is blessed with a large grassy LZ so after a days flying took her back home intact.
When i fitted the servo tray I traced around it, but as to yet I cannot locate it. Will keep looking.
Chris
Fubar 123 is offline Find More Posts by Fubar 123
Last edited by Fubar 123; Jan 08, 2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:15 AM
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
1,003 Posts
England and their Grass slopes!

Zim told me you guys put all your rocks on the Mayflower! I believe it when I look at the sites you all have! By the way??? who cuts all that grass anyways
Jordan & I went out to a place by Palm Springs Ca called Browns Bluff. You can look it up here on the discussion groups and see some good video of it... the Wind today was supposed to be 50 - 60 mph, but never did happen. Flew for a while, but ended up driving back another 45 min. to another place called Lake Hills and there the wind was much better... no 60 mph, but maybe up to 25 so was OK...
I will get back to my build and post some pic's, but not alot exciting yet. Would like to get the ballest tube in before I proceed with the fuse build. I have a FRP Circuit board, but have to remove all the circuits on it... then cut for the Servo tray and get her all spruced up. Hope to get back at it this next week and finish out the build.

Oletimer/Jeff
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:24 AM
Aloft Hobbies
Joined Sep 2003
5,812 Posts
Got a little something in stock to make your builds a little easier:
http://www.alofthobbies.com/pre-wire...universal.html

Wing wire harnesses.

-Wayne
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:35 AM
Whitchurch,Shropshire. UK
Joined Jul 2008
1,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oletimer View Post
Zim told me you guys put all your rocks on the Mayflower! I believe it when I look at the sites you all have! By the way??? who cuts all that grass anyways

Oletimer/Jeff
Thanks for having them all Jeff ! Are you going to fetch the last few ?
Their are large flocks of 'Pasture Maggots' aka Sheep that keep the grass down.Down side is these creatures have a hole at both ends.
Fubar 123 is offline Find More Posts by Fubar 123
Last edited by Fubar 123; Jan 09, 2012 at 01:55 AM.