SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 26, 2011, 01:17 PM
Livin ...The Endless Summer
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
7,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orni-freak View Post

I think it's just "new plane syndrome" when you maiden the new plane, scratch it, feel bummed out for a while, then come to accept it after a while ...
I Have had the same problem with surfboards the first ding is always the hardest. If you feel it is structurally sound. NOW you are free of the first ding!!! its all smooth sailing from here
67econoline is online now Find More Posts by 67econoline
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2011, 01:00 PM
Whitchurch,Shropshire. UK
Joined Jul 2008
1,199 Posts
Hi Jordan,
Just wondering how the Genesis is coming along.
I took mine to the slope today but it didnt stop raining for about 4 hours.
Whilist I was drying it off I took some photos for your interest.
The internal diameter of the plastic ballast tube is 3/4''........ 19mm and is about 9 inches long.
The servos are nothing special, just what I had at the time.But it is a two servo wing.Flapperons work fine too!
Looking forward to your next flight report.
Chris
Fubar 123 is offline Find More Posts by Fubar 123
Last edited by Fubar 123; Dec 31, 2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 01:17 PM
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
Chris,

Are you using that ballast tube yet? If so, how are you keeping your ballast in place? Any support for the back of the ballast tube?

I'm still working on sourcing parts for ballast tubes on this plane.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 29, 2011, 02:42 PM
Whitchurch,Shropshire. UK
Joined Jul 2008
1,199 Posts
Hi Wayne,
The ballast tube at the far end lies against the fusalage bottom.I packed around the tube with bubble wrap stuffed in with a piece of dowel.
The ballast weights are 32mm lenghts of 19mm dia brass bar turned to 18.5 mm for an easy fit. I have one half length of brass aswell as wooden dowel.
The ballast is kept in place or should I say was,(Lost it on Saturday), with a compression spring fitted with a Top Hat type bush of acetal.The ballast and wooden packing is added and the plug and spring fitted between the ballast and the ply servo tray.
Will make another and post a photo after the Christmas break.
Are the Genesis selling well across the pond ?
Chris
Fubar 123 is offline Find More Posts by Fubar 123
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:04 AM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar 123 View Post
Hi Jordan,
Just wondering how the Genesis is coming along.
I took mine to the slope today but it didnt stop raining for about 4 hours.
Whilist I was drying it off I took some photos for your interest.
They internal diameter of the plastic ballast tube is 3/4''........ 19mm and is about 9 inches long.
The servos are nothing special, just what I had at the time.But it is a two servo wing.Flapperons work fine too!
Looking forward to your next flight report.
Chris
That looks nice Chris! Do you think you can post pics of your flap setup? We'd all appreciate that since IMO that was the hardest part of the build . I also want to ask are you seeing any noticeable wing skin flex where your servos are glued?

Mine is still sittin on the rack waiting for wind, unfortunatley in January the slope season practically shuts down where we are so it'll have to wait until the next 10-15mph day...
Mr. Combat Certain is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:08 AM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
1,008 Posts
I got one!

I believe Jordan is the first to have one. I will be doing a build also since I am learning some things from both Wayne and Jordan.
Think I should post it on another thread so not to confuse anyone.

Wayne or Jordan... What is the prefered C/G for this plane???
Also was thinking of using circuit board for a long fuse tray. the little wood one just won't cut it for me.

Oletimer/Jeff
oletimer is offline Find More Posts by oletimer
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:16 AM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oletimer View Post
I believe Jordan is the first to have one. I will be doing a build also since I am learning some things from both Wayne and Jordan.
Think I should post it on another thread so not to confuse anyone.

Wayne or Jordan... What is the prefered C/G for this plane???
Also was thinking of using circuit board for a long fuse tray. the little wood one just won't cut it for me.

Oletimer/Jeff
Hey Jeff,

Feel free to post your pics in this thread, that way we can keep all our Genesis pics in one thread. As far as CG goes, I'd start out with the recommended 91mm back from the root's LE. I still have yet to really fine-tune mine but once we get some wind I'll play around with it and also try to get the crow braking setup (I tried it on the Maiden, it was effective but it wanted to balloon really badly)...
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:37 AM
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
1,008 Posts
Thanks Jordan

Well then... here I go!

I felt the fuse and wing needed some lightweight reinforcements, and did this with my F3 planes. The fuse I added some Carbon tow, compliments of Mr. Peavyhouse. I also fit up and CA'd some servo hole reinforcements since it moved when pressed on.
Wayne sold me these remarkably stout and seemingly good servos Jordan has been using, and I personally hate plastic gears.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:42 AM
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
1,008 Posts
Now the fuse

Carbon Tow is a pain to work with. And the inside of the fuse has some cured fibers that poke real bad! OUCH!
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:44 AM
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
1,008 Posts
Tonight I started the flaps

Here are some pics of the tail horn, and the flap servos installed and angled in brass horns. Should work nicely!
Last edited by oletimer; Dec 31, 2011 at 12:53 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 01:02 AM
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
1,008 Posts
Wing almost done!

OK.. ready to get to the flaps and then wing will be 90% done! Not so bad.
Like Jordan said... best not to rush. In my older years, I am finally learning to not push or rush a job. it does two things. 1, you will not enjoy it near as much, & 2, big mistakes are made and then you get mad and the joy is out of it.... Only took me 50 years to get here! did I say that out loud???
Old Dec 31, 2011, 02:03 AM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,330 Posts
Nice Jeff! Took me 2 days to get to where your at! Nice job moving those flap horns forward that'll really help. Oh, and remember that on those flaps the sub-trim will come in handy ...
Old Dec 31, 2011, 02:29 AM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Awesome Jeff, I'm glad you (and Jordon) decided to keep the builds in the one thread as I think it will be easiest for all to use and to pick up on little tricks others have done and improve the overall build.

Obviously I am not an expert by far, but I believe in some of my other reads of the Genesis/Flying Fish that they rounded the corners more on the wing saddle opening as the fairly sharp 4 corners are a stress point. At least thats someone elses $0.02 I stole.

Can't wait to see the rest of the build and get my own to boot. Was planning on meeting up with Wayne today but things didn't work out. Some must have tipped off my wife that I was having fun flying Flagpole and she called me up on a supposed urgent errand.
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Dec 31, 2011, 04:15 AM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orni-freak View Post
That looks nice Chris! Do you think you can post pics of your flap setup? We'd all appreciate that since IMO that was the hardest part of the build .
Jordon, would love to see more pictures of flap setups too, but Chris's FF doesn't have flaps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar 123 View Post
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:25 AM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,198 Posts
Hee hee... loved your carbon tow pics, Jeff.

Here's a helpful (albeit belated) hint. Get the tow nice and straight, and put a couple drops of CA glue on both ends. Try to spread out/flatten that spot before the CA kicks off. This helps hold all the strands together while handling it. That will also give you a good place to grab with a pair of needle nose pliers or forceps, helping you feed the wetted out tow where it needs to go.

-Keith
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member