SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:16 PM
Acacia II Lunar Lander
United States, CA, LADERA RANCH
Joined Feb 2011
640 Posts
Only a good range check would tell you, but a longer antenna that you can move around might make adjustment easier. An AR6255 would give you two long antennae to place at angle to each other, and a much more dependable link, since you won't have to depend on the single antenna.

But since you're all together, might as well give it a range check to see what you have.. Watch out for the carbon in your elevator pushrod. Keep your active antenna away from it a bit.

Good luck on the maiden!
RCRod is offline Find More Posts by RCRod
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:48 PM
Livin ...The Endless Summer
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
7,040 Posts
Good job Jordan!!! May your Maiden be trouble free!!
lookin forward to the flight report
67econoline is offline Find More Posts by 67econoline
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:49 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,782 Posts
DO NOT LENGTHEN THE ANTENNA!!!!!

That receiver will be fine. It is a dual antenna and I have used them in many similar aircraft. Place the antennas 90 degrees to one another and keep them away from other wires and metal.

The Genesis is 2.4 friendly. (Until I get my carbon versions in next summer.)

Range check, if it passes, enjoy! Or upgrade to FrSKY.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
Old Dec 24, 2011, 06:37 PM
Acacia II Lunar Lander
United States, CA, LADERA RANCH
Joined Feb 2011
640 Posts
You can lengthen the antenna, but only if the extra length is shielded. 2.4 needs 31-mm active antennas.

I'm pretty sure the 6100E only has one active antenna, with the other one being attached to ground. You can check it with a multimeter circuit test. You'll want to be sure to optimize position of the active antenna.
RCRod is offline Find More Posts by RCRod
Old Dec 24, 2011, 09:46 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,327 Posts
I did a range check today, set it about 10' above the ground, and backed away about 90' and held down the range test button. It seems to respond even at greater distances (I think I went about 100' in range test mopde and still had control). I also tried holding it down and moving the remote around the plane in different positions and it seems to check out fine. I'll do a double-check before the maiden, all we need is some WIND!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mr. Combat Certain is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Dec 25, 2011, 01:27 AM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
999 Posts
Nice Job

Wind is supposed to be here this week. Should get a chance by wednesday.

Keep an eye on the servos with the tape. I would go with the tan masking tape for this as tom said about the tack. Better to be cautious and wait, then push a bad situation!... wait... I stole that from Top Gun... & I never do that! But this is your new baby and you want to take extra care and keep her for a long time...right?

Can't wait to hear how you like it!

Jeff
oletimer is offline Find More Posts by oletimer
Old Dec 25, 2011, 07:50 PM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,327 Posts
Maiden flight

Well we had some decent wind today (about 10-12mph) so I decided to give it a toss. First toss was noticably nose-heavy, it needed quite a bit of up trim to stay level. I took out about 3/4oz and it seemed spot-on. It's really quick but it became really bumpy so it was a struggle to keep up. I went to land it but I overshot it and it landed in some really twiggy brush. I went to inspect it and turns out there was a small crease in the wingtip and a small hole close to the leading edge . I posted a pic, the hole is an easy fix since it didn't punch all the way through the skin, but how do u fix a crease? It didn't actually break the bottom skin and ruin anything structurally, it's just a small dimple in the skin. Any ideas???
Last edited by Mr. Combat Certain; Dec 25, 2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 02:02 AM
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
999 Posts
I don't see it?
Glass foam you simply use a wet paper towl and heat iron and go over it a few times... just glass??? not sure!
This is not anywhere near the cut spar by your flaps is it???
What do you think about this plane at Shappell on a light wind day? good? Bad? Wind min's?

Jeff
Old Dec 26, 2011, 09:48 AM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,194 Posts
Jordan,

I can't see much from that pic. Does the crease run parallel to the wing, or does it go from LE to TE?

If it's parallel, then I personally wouldn't worry about it as long as the wing still feels stiff. If it runs chord-wise, then I'd worry about the wing folding in high-G turns.

To repair, I'd sand the paint off surrounding the crease. Then I'd get a couple layers of glass, maybe 1.5oz, cut at 0/90 and at 45/45. I'd size one layer to be about 1/8" smaller all the way around. A light mist of 3M77 will hold the layers together while handling it. If the crease is deep, you can drill some tiny holes down it's length. Insert a piece of music wire (with a small L-bend) into the holes and try to lift up the offending areas. Then brush on some epoxy (good stuff like West Systems, not 5- or 30-minute!) and gently press the glass down to wet it out. Toilet paper can be used to sop up any excess epoxy. When cured, give it a light sanding and apply some bondo or epoxy/microballoons around the edges. Sand it all down smooth and then repaint it.

-Keith
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:29 AM
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
999 Posts
Repair

I was afraid you were going to say that!
No Majic spray or Iron thingy will work eh?

Well... I have some myself I need to get to for that as well.

But as scarlet Ohare said... "I'll worry about that tomorrow!"
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:16 AM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oletimer View Post
I don't see it?

Jeff
That slight distortion in the reflection is where the crease is. it runs parallel with the wing close to the tip in front of the spar. It's not really that deep at all (less than a mm probably) and maybe 3/32" wide max. I was thinking of using clear tape to tape around the perimeter of the crease, then carefully lay some laminating epoxy in the crease, let it dry, then sand with 600grit sandpaper flush with the wing. Or, just leave it alone ...

As far as a light-wing ship goes, it's not . Anything under 10mph would be a struggle. It seemed to want to drop a wing when flown too slowly, almost made me crash twice . Camber helps, but without a rudder it's difficult to keep it in a thermal. I was able to do some pumps, and reflex also works really well. I have yet to ring out it's full potential, but so far it looks like a winner for 10mph+...
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:19 AM
EPP Extrordinare
Joined Feb 2008
3,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeevyhouse View Post
Jordan,

I can't see much from that pic. Does the crease run parallel to the wing, or does it go from LE to TE?

If it's parallel, then I personally wouldn't worry about it as long as the wing still feels stiff. If it runs chord-wise, then I'd worry about the wing folding in high-G turns.

-Keith
That's just it, it's parallel with the spar, doesnt go into the spar or the LE, and isn't structurally imparing anything, it's like an "imprint" in the skin. I lightly pinched the skin where the crease is and compared it to the other wingtip, and it feels the same. and it doesn't fold into itself when pinched like you'd expect a crease to do ...

I think it's just "new plane syndrome" when you maiden the new plane, scratch it, feel bummed out for a while, then come to accept it after a while ...
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:31 AM
Whitchurch,Shropshire. UK
Joined Jul 2008
1,199 Posts
Hi Jordan,
Best season's greetings.
I think if you keep those wings working i.e Keep her moving you wont have any tip stalling probs.She's more of a ridge runner than a thermal ship
She should fly fine in a 6 mph wind.
Fubar 123 is offline Find More Posts by Fubar 123
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:36 AM
Semper Fidelis
USA, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Jul 2005
1,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orni-freak View Post

I think it's just "new plane syndrome" when you maiden the new plane, scratch it, feel bummed out for a while, then come to accept it after a while ...
Know this feeling.

It'll fly better after some scratches and time. Sounds like this is one you want to keep moving, similar to a destiny.

Looks like your crease is more cosmetic. At this point I wouldn't do a hefty repair. If the skin is weak, put some clear tape over it (so you don't get glue all over the finish), poke some small holes (drill or pin) and run some thin ca in there. Sometimes I use a dental tool to pull the skin up while the ca sets. Make sure you're laterally balanced if you decide to add glass and bondo.

Stay patient, wisdom counts.
Big Gas is offline Find More Posts by Big Gas
Old Dec 26, 2011, 12:05 PM
Sane til the lift starts!
Laguna Beach, CA
Joined Jun 2008
10,194 Posts
Now that I've thought about it some more, I've decided that your plane is beyond repair, and what you really need is to just buy a new one. I'll do you a favor and properly dispose of your horribly bashed, impossible-to-repair plane. I'll even pick it up at no charge.
kpeevyhouse is offline Find More Posts by kpeevyhouse
RCG Plus Member