SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:47 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Thank Rubio. Assuming the 4 wing servos are ok, the biggest bummer of it all was failing to get it on video. For those not following the OCSS thread where I originally posted this, I was taking video with my iphone, but unfortunately I had hit the reverse view icon or something and had 15minutes of video of my face followed by 15seconds of expletives as the genesis went in.

Now I'm just struggling for some bench time, but the repair should be fairly quick.

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:16 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
......The wing joiner is 12mm X 10mm. .....

-Wayne
Same size as the RCRCM Sunbird (and Typhoon).

Twyl....I'm sort of surprised it floated, mainly as you said it was fully ballasted. I stuffed a FVK Bandit in a fishing pool once (ran the lipo flat ), I had to strip off and wade in to get it . I was lucky as there was no structural damage, so it was put in an airing cupboard for about a week to dry. Everything worked fine afterwards, but I did return the rx to Horizon who either serviced it or replaced it, I can't remember which. I wonder if the damage to yours was done as it was washed ashore. I think you were very lucky to get it back at all!
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:33 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
Twyl....I'm sort of surprised it floated, mainly as you said it was fully ballasted. I stuffed a FVK Bandit in a fishing pool once (ran the lipo flat ), I had to strip off and wade in to get it . I was lucky as there was no structural damage, so it was put in an airing cupboard for about a week to dry. Everything worked fine afterwards, but I did return the rx to Horizon who either serviced it or replaced it, I can't remember which. I wonder if the damage to yours was done as it was washed ashore. I think you were very lucky to get it back at all!
Well I had 22.5oz of lead in the tube when I launched it and when I picked it up on the beach there was zero. All 7 slugs along with the canopy evidently ejected on impact. Perhaps I'm lucky they did and maybe as you suggested it wouldn't have floated if they had stayed put.

Regarding the Rx, Wayne @ Aloft Hobbies was very quick to replace my FrSky Rx for free. Great customer service man! Keep it up!!!

-Jonathan
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:44 PM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,215 Posts
Yep, Wayne is the best when it comes to customer service!
TRISME is online now Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:16 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo View Post
Same size as the RCRCM Sunbird (and Typhoon).
Wow, surprised by that. Now I understand why the much larger Typhoon has wing issues.

The the 60" Fluffy Bunny has a joiner that is about twice the size. We are still doing some testing with that one, but all looks good.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Taranis Front Shell Swap
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:21 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
For reference, the 60" fluffy bunny...

-Jonathan
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:24 PM
Aloft Hobbies
Joined Sep 2003
5,669 Posts
OK.. Lets not go off subject again.. We will be posting up pics of the Fluffy Bunny 1.5 and 2 meter ships soon enough.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:28 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
OK.. Lets not go off subject again.. We will be posting up pics of the Fluffy Bunny 1.5 and 2 meter ships soon enough.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:33 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,322 Posts
Build log for the 60" FB coming soon as well (can we call it something else now please ...)
Mr. Combat Certain is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:38 PM
Summer... is my time of year
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
6,906 Posts
Jonathon

THAT WAS FUNNY!!!!

Rubio
Who likes the Fluffy Bunny Name...

Missed the hawk pic. My phone just loaded it.

You have it goin today!!!
67econoline is online now Find More Posts by 67econoline
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:38 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orni-freak View Post
Build log for the 60" FB coming soon as well (can we call it something else now please ...)
Could possibly widen the target market to include more of asia if you called it the Fruffy Bunny.

-Jonathan
who rived in asia for rong rong time
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:01 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,322 Posts
I thought fluffy bunnies in Asia are known as "dinner" ??
Mr. Combat Certain is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:12 PM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
3,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyl View Post
Randal, sorry to hear about the rabid tree. I'm sure it will be back up and tearing up some more sky in no time though.

I found out mine was a regular California beach bum last week.

In 15mph+ winds I had it fully ballasted at Fermin and while performing some aerobatics I flicked it while inverted and trying to pull up (down stick while inverted). It went into an inverted spin which I was unable to orient and pull out of before it dove into the ocean. My last view from up top was of it floating upright in the water. The pic above was how I found it 15 minutes later after I finally made it to the bottom of the cliff.

The only real structural damage was to the nose with some very minor cracks in the saddle area. The elevator servo, Rx, battery, and most likely the switch are fried, but I believe all 4 wing servos will recover (I've yet to reassemble them after opening them up to dry).

-Jonathan
Hey, bad luck about the water landing. IMO, you'd be mad to try to reuse those servos, even if they do still work after a dry out. Salt water and electricity do nasty things to electrical components that's sometimes hidden under insulation and stuff. Do it right, fit new ones. Save the others for a foamie if you must.
Rubio, get it done, man! You'll love the mouldie. The cool thing about them is that, like surfboards, if you treat it nice, it'll still work just as well 20 years from now (unlike a foamie, that only fly like new once).
later
simon
PS Wayne if I wanted some FRsky, would you ship to Australia?
gizzo is offline Find More Posts by gizzo
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:45 AM
Aloft Hobbies
Joined Sep 2003
5,669 Posts
Yep, we ship to Australia all the time. The site can give you an accurate shipping quote. Usually takes about a week to get there.

-Wayne
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:09 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Apr 2009
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Wow, surprised by that. Now I understand why the much larger Typhoon has wing issues.

The the 60" Fluffy Bunny has a joiner that is about twice the size. We are still doing some testing with that one, but all looks good.

-Wayne
What are the wing issues you're referrring to? I'm presuming any are when you DS it?

Any more info on the FB?
feefo is offline Find More Posts by feefo