HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2012, 01:20 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumthinsFishy View Post
All in all, while weight does have its place...
Ok, point taken. Now for take off!

Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2012, 02:30 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumthinsFishy View Post
I would just add that I've flown light planes, and I've flown heavy planes. All in all, while weight does have its place, light planes fly better.
Dave
Isnt that what ballast is for? BOBW. Build em light and add weight later. I would say that of course the plane has to be strong enough for purpose intended.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:04 PM
Semper Fidelis
USA, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Jul 2005
1,443 Posts
The idea with the ballast tube is to make the model more versatile. Having owned and flown a lot of moldie 60" models I can guarantee that adding ballast will make this thing more fun in big wind conditions. It will also ds better, however I wouldn't particularly push this one over 150 mph. So I'm thinking 16-20 oz in this plane will be more than enough for heavy conditions. If it isn't then it may be time to pull another model out of the quiver.

Wayne, the 5085 for the elevator is not too friendly in this fuse sideways and won't fit over the inch diameter ballast tube. I will make a tray, maybe even screw it to rails it I have to butt the battery close to it. I'll post a pic when I get it figured out.
Big Gas is offline Find More Posts by Big Gas
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:34 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,586 Posts
I'm sorry, did you say 1 inch?? Now that picture Twyl posted is coming to mind.

I think ours are a little less then 3/4". But then again our 3/4" with lead will be similar or heavier then your 1" with steel. Hmm... 1", shorter tube, mass more centered.. Might be worth doing.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is online now Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:36 AM
Semper Fidelis
Joined Jul 2005
1,443 Posts
Yes, same tube as the minivec.

I cut it shorter, it holds 16oz of steel slugs, of course some lead will go heavier if needed.

Just about done.

Thanks twl, I can't help but look at those attractive girls helping that poor Baluga Whale.
Last edited by Big Gas; Mar 07, 2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: darn baluga
Old Mar 07, 2012, 12:38 PM
USA, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
1,130 Posts
Looks great. Do you epoxy the brass fitting into the hollow carbon tube?
macinr is online now Find More Posts by macinr
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:19 PM
Semper Fidelis
Joined Jul 2005
1,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinr View Post
Looks great. Do you epoxy the brass fitting into the hollow carbon tube?
The pushrod?

It is a threaded 2-56 rod that slides into the carbon tube. Gorilla CAed in place. I've never had one come out. I've also used the foaming GG with success too. CA just offers instant gratification. I've also done epoxy with success but its toooo slow.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:26 PM
Aloft Hobbies
Joined Sep 2003
5,586 Posts
I usually put a slight bend on the wire before putting it into the carbon for a little extra friction.
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 07, 2012, 02:21 PM
USA, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gas View Post
The pushrod?

It is a threaded 2-56 rod that slides into the carbon tube. Gorilla CAed in place. I've never had one come out. I've also used the foaming GG with success too. CA just offers instant gratification. I've also done epoxy with success but its toooo slow.
yes, exactly what i was after. i thought that you had simply epoxied brass fittings to the end of the tube not realizing it encapsulated the 2-56 threaded rod.
macinr is online now Find More Posts by macinr
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:41 AM
Semper Fidelis
Joined Jul 2005
1,443 Posts
Maiden

We got a decent Genesis maiden last weekend at Little Mountain. After a number of flights the cg is closer to 89-90mm. Fist time I threw it off it popped up a bit on launch and tucked in a dive. A little nose weight calmed that down. It is fast! And the elevator response at recommended settings is "very" snappy. It was "flick" tested in what would have spiraled a Destiny. It just kept going and recovered easily.

Be ready for a ton of down elevator compensation during butterfly. It took about five landings before it got close. I think I had close to 80% of the down elevator mixed in during butterfly. The flaps literally drop 90deg. so I backed these off to about 70deg which helped. It's just a matter of setting up a proper elevator curve for the mix to get a nice butterfly mix.

All in all, a sweet 60 incher. I would say the new best bang for the buck in terms of a moldie.

Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:38 AM
Aloft Hobbies
Joined Sep 2003
5,586 Posts
Great to hear!

I'm not sure why the Destiny has lasted all of these years when there are a number of great flying planes that don't like to fall out of the sky.

The Genesis loves a good hard turn.. Almost seems to get faster doing it. When set up right she will just pull a beautiful turn, no trauma at all. Like any good plane should.

-Wayne
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 14, 2012, 08:24 PM
setting CG with ceiling fan on
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Apr 2010
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gas View Post
Be ready for a ton of down elevator compensation during butterfly.
Do you have much up aileron in your landing setup? A bit more should reduce the ballooning without using up a lot of elevator travel.
bluzharp is offline Find More Posts by bluzharp
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:29 PM
Semper Fidelis
Joined Jul 2005
1,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzharp View Post
Do you have much up aileron in your landing setup? A bit more should reduce the ballooning without using up a lot of elevator travel.
I think they were about half to 3/4 up deflection. I didn't want too much as to keep roll authority while having no rudder. Once the down is dialed you can pretty much parachute it in.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:51 AM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Hey Wayne, do you have any pictures of Miro's Raptor where he sanded out the black or was it red paint from the wing? Heck, while you're at it throw in some from your's and Shadows.

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:24 AM
Aloft Hobbies
Joined Sep 2003
5,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyl View Post
Hey Wayne, do you have any pictures of Miro's Raptor where he sanded out the black or was it red paint from the wing? Heck, while you're at it throw in some from your's and Shadows.

-Jonathan
Miro sanded out all of the red from the top of his Genesis wing and replaced it with white Monokote. I only got a junky cell phone picture. He did a very impressive job of sanding the paint back to the top layer of glass without damaging the glass. Nice to see the very clean construction and balsa core material for the wing. But covering it in Monokote seemed silly. Miro wanted higher contrast for his vision.

-Wayne
Site Sponsor