HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:35 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,322 Posts
Build Log
Genesis aka Flying Fish build

Like some of us here, I've had my eye on a moldie for some time, but the price tag was always way over my budget. That was untill Wayne (Rotozuk) told me that he ordered a stock of planes called the Genesis (Flying Fish in Europe/UK). It seems to be popular in the UK, due to it's attractive price and performance, but until now it hasn't been available in the US. I went ahead and bit the bullet, and bought one from Wayne. I bought the flapped version, but it's also available with just ailerons if you don't need flaps.

**If you'd like a Genesis, you can purchase both versions in various colors in the US from Wayne via http://www.alofthobbies.com/**
Mr. Combat Certain is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Last edited by Mr. Combat Certain; Dec 19, 2011 at 11:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:06 PM
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,322 Posts
Initial Thoughts

I'm very pleased with the quality, everything looks clean and straight. If your picky about details, some of the internal carbon shows through the red, but that's about it. The fuselage looks good, and the seam inside is pretty well done. The canopy has a piece of carbon already on it so it stays on the fuselage. The wing sits nicely on the wing saddle, no gaps and the bolts align straight. The elevator slides into the gap in the tail, and screws in with 2 small bolts supplied in the hardware kit. There is a small gap between the top of the elevator and the fuse, but it's nothing to sweat over.

The ailerons have a threaded bit pre-installed (NOTE: The flapped version doe not have the holes installed in the flaps, you'll have to drill a hole and install the threaded end of the control horns in the hardware kit yourself), so all you have to do is screw the metal control horn in the aileron. However on one of the ailerons, it had something in the hole, I'm not sure if it was excess fiberglass, a piece of dust, or what, but the control horn wouldn't screw all the way in, and if I tried screwing it in I could feel the top skin flexing, so I didn't try to screw it in any farther. Instead I used my Dremel, and grinded the control horn a bit shorter and screwed it in again. Much better, although it left a small dimple in the top skin where it screwed in from the bottom.
Mr. Combat Certain is online now Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:34 PM
Acacia II Lunar Lander
United States, CA, LADERA RANCH
Joined Feb 2011
640 Posts
Subscribed...

Gotta get me one of these.
RCRod is offline Find More Posts by RCRod
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:55 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,664 Posts
Hey, that is a good looking plane.

You have the option of top driving or bottom driving the flaps, but the servo covers are setup for top drive.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Taranis Front Shell Swap
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:57 AM
Whitchurch,Shropshire. UK
Joined Jul 2008
1,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orni-freak View Post
Like some of us here, I've had my eye on a moldie for some time, but the price tag was always way over my budget. That was untill Wayne (Rotozuk) told me that he ordered a stock of planes called the Genesis (Flying Fish in Europe/UK). It seems to be popular in the UK, due to it's attractive price and performance, but until now it hasn't been available in the US. I went ahead and bit the bullet, and bought one from Wayne. I bought the flapped version, but it's also available with just ailerons if you don't need flaps.

**If you'd like a Genesis, you can purchase both versions in various colors in the US from Wayne via http://www.alofthobbies.com/**
A wise choice!, I dont think you will be dissapointed .Dont forget to fit a ballast tube !
Chris
Fubar 123 is offline Find More Posts by Fubar 123
Old Dec 20, 2011, 01:26 AM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
And a healthy sized servo tray to spread stresses around that sharp corner on the cockpit. And reinforce that big cutaway in the wing saddle.
mr_editor is offline Find More Posts by mr_editor
Old Dec 20, 2011, 02:14 AM
Dang!....What else did I bring
Orange County, S. Cal
Joined Oct 2009
997 Posts
Very Nice

Hey Jordan;

I will be watching this build... because I also got the same Red one as well on Saturday.
Still not sure on top or bottom control of flaps. What are you going to go with?

This plane will be able to float very nicely at Shappell in my guess as light as 8 - 10.

Nice job so far, and hats off to you Wayne for all you effort and great pricing on this very nice plane for the money!

Oletimer/Jeff
oletimer is offline Find More Posts by oletimer
Old Dec 20, 2011, 04:57 AM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Woot!

Awesome Jordan, thanks for doing the build thread it will make the rest of our work that much easier.

Wayne! Hat's off to you for all your sacrificed air time and other investments to make these planes available for those of us in the states. I'll be picking one up as soon as I'm back from holiday.

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Dec 20, 2011, 05:27 AM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,628 Posts
Link to Flying Fish RCM&E review...

I still find the looks around the nose area a little "challenging" (according to Andy Ellison's RCM&E review it's shaped that way to make turning it into a mini hotliner easier), but there is no doubt they fly great and are really cheap compared with other 60 inchers. I particularly like the slightly Wizard like tail group...
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Dec 20, 2011 at 05:38 AM.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 05:51 AM
If it can-it will!
Gower South Wales UK
Joined May 2007
2,075 Posts
Yep, loads of us here in UK have owned one of these.
There was a move once to start a man on man racing league, using only the Flying Fish, but it never got off the ground (pardon the pun).

Great for the price. If ballasted up, it's really fast in winds up to 40+mph.
There's no rudder, but I modded mine for one without too much hassle.
cliffhanger is offline Find More Posts by cliffhanger
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:41 AM
Summer... is my time of year
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
6,778 Posts
Hey Hey Hey Jordan,
Thanks for taking the time to so a build log.
The Popout is now subscribed!!
Are you going to put a ballast tube??
Me and the Boyz will be a watchin
67econoline is online now Find More Posts by 67econoline
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:01 AM
Aloft Hobbies
Joined Sep 2003
5,664 Posts
I'd like to offer a ballast tube kit for these planes, just not sure when I'm going to have time to get that going. I have zero free time right now, and am moving in a couple of weeks, so things will get worse before they get better.

The plane is setup for top drive on the flaps. If you have not done top drive before it is a little interesting, but pretty easy. I suggest you go ahead and do the top drive so you have experience doing it. It will be handy experience as you are sure to use it on other builds in the future. It is lower drag, and less chance of stripping a servo from grabbing onto grass. It is a very commonly used method for molded and DLG planes these days.

I have noticed that there is a slight mold step on the leading edge of some of the planes, mostly out towards the tips. You all might want to use some fine sand paper to clean it up. (This is fairly common on molded wings, but over looked by many during the build.)

As for the looks of the plane, I wasn't so sure about the nose when looking at pictures, but after seeing them myself I was loving the lines. But for those interested, the plane does include a firewall that you can glue in if you want to convert the plane to electric..

-Wayne
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 21, 2011, 02:43 PM
Aloft Hobbies
Joined Sep 2003
5,664 Posts
Flap Top Drive

When setting up a top drive fr your flaps it is important that your control horn is angled forward out over the gap seal. If you do not do this you will have a very hard time getting enough throw on the flap. This angle is needed so your control rod can clear the lower skin of the wing.

I'll see if I can get my camera back and take some pics of a good layout.

Your control horns need to be perfectly aligned to one another, all angles and measurements need to be identical as the top drive will really amplify any errors and you will end up with some crazy programming to fix your throws.

-Wayne
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 21, 2011, 03:05 PM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Flaps? just read this:

http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/topic,48477.0.html
mr_editor is offline Find More Posts by mr_editor
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:25 PM
Acacia II Lunar Lander
United States, CA, LADERA RANCH
Joined Feb 2011
640 Posts
Wow, great resource, Mr Ed! Definitely bookmarking that one!
RCRod is offline Find More Posts by RCRod