266 Posts
Very nice! Beautiful flying plane!
RedTwilight is offline Find More Posts by RedTwilight
Old Jan 07, 2012, 09:27 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
A couple Static Shots before the Maiden Flight

The morning was chilly -- OK, COLD! When we got to the field it was 23 degrees with a 3-5 mph breeze from the north, so there was definitely a chill in the air, but the winds were supposed to stay light, so it looked like it would be a good time to fly once the sun peeked over the mountain. So first, a couple static shots, then it would be time to give it a try.
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Jan 07, 2012, 09:33 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
The Maiden Flight

The air was smooth and the breeze was straight up the runway, so looked like a great time to get the Cat in the air. Taxiing was no problem, though the tail wheel wire is a bit too small -- no problem though, it'll be easy to fix on the plans.

Ground handling on the take-off roll was no big deal, she tracked straight and true. Once in the air it was obvious that there would not be enough down trim to tame the beast, so a quick landing for a bit of sub trim was in order. No big deal, just needed to hold a good bit of down elevator on the way back into the pattern. The landing was basically uneventful, and she flaired nicely with neutral elevator.....
Old Jan 07, 2012, 09:52 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
Down Trim Added and Time to Get Serious

The second flight was completely uneventful. The model is stable and responsive, and grooves nicely ayt cruise power -- about 1/2 throttle. Aileron input is crisp and clean, and with very little adverse yaw. The rudder is more then adequate, but not too spunky. The elevator, on the other hand, was really spunky, so a light touch was in order there.

I was a little concerned that the 400 class outrunner might not be enough power on 2 cells, but as it turns out, the power is really more the adequate, and the climb is good. Taking off only required about 2/3 power, and once in the air the climb looked good, so never did try full power.

Overall, I'd say the Ag Cat flies GREAT! After a few camera passes and a T & G or two it was time to bring her down for the post flight inspection. The landing was eventless, and showed no tendency at all to do anything out of the ordinary. The cross winfs were pretty stiff by then, with all that side area there was a tendency to drift off the runway, but after a couple more flights to learn the best way to handle the Cat, I can see where low passes and touch & go's are going to be a regular part of the days flying.

From here I'll go to work getting the plans buttoned up and the Short Kits ready to go. On the first go-around, the model required a good bit of down elevator trim, so the stab incidence will be changed on the plans to compensate. I'll also move the aieron servos to the bottom wing to hide the wiring and eliminate that ugly looking lead running down the cabane struts. I have no idea why I would have put the servos in the top wing??? But thanks to the wonders of modern technology that'll be easy to fix on the plans.

In all, I would call this one a grand success -- and the model flew far better then I would have expected for such a stubby, pudgy looking airplane -- I guess the guys at the Grumman Areoworks knew what they were doing. So if crop dusters are your bag, hang loose for just a bit and we'll get some kits out there for you to add to your collection of Ag Planes.

PAT
Old Jan 07, 2012, 10:31 AM
Madisonville, Tn
Joined Nov 2007
265 Posts
Pat, as always, another OUTSTANDING success!!! Can't wait to see what you do with the Luscome. Have not done too much building lately as WORK (another nasty four-letter word) has taken up most of my extra time. I plan on doing some building in the near future as I have a line on four of the kits you did for Dumas, the 35" Tiger Moth, Waco YMF-5, Waco ARE and the 42" De Havilland DH-89 Dragon Rapide. Will not tell you the prices but will say it is WAY below list. Kep up the great work Pat. May try and get to SMALL this year.

The Yank
Yankeeone is offline Find More Posts by Yankeeone
Old Jan 07, 2012, 11:23 AM
Veni, Vidi, Napi
Cumming, GA
Joined Sep 2004
468 Posts
Outstanding Pat!

Just let me know when and how much.

Tom
catrancher is offline Find More Posts by catrancher
Old Jan 07, 2012, 11:27 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
It looks like the Ag Cat is going to be a reall success. Judging by the response I figured it best to get going on the plans and get things done so we can get this one out there. Working on the plans now, and will post up the release when the kits are ready to go.

PAT
Old Jan 07, 2012, 11:30 AM
castle rock, colorado
Joined Jun 2010
62 Posts
Outstanding Pat!! I'll be getting one too!
lgarber is offline Find More Posts by lgarber
Old Jan 07, 2012, 11:43 AM
Cobra Driver
Roxboro, NC
Joined Dec 2005
266 Posts
Im anxiously waiting with card in hand! LOL
RedTwilight is offline Find More Posts by RedTwilight
Old Jan 07, 2012, 01:39 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,334 Posts
Real groovy baby.
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Jan 07, 2012, 02:24 PM
Anchorage, Alaska
Joined Nov 2008
603 Posts
Beautiful model Pat. It looks great in the air and a nice flying plane. I have a soft spot for biplanes and I'll definately have to place an order for one when available. By the way, have you flown the Airtractor yet?
Taildragger55 is offline Find More Posts by Taildragger55
Old Jan 07, 2012, 02:26 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taildragger55 View Post
By the way, have you flown the Airtractor yet?
Yep, the first set of wheels is just about worn out

PAT
Old Jan 07, 2012, 03:50 PM
Flying electric since 1986
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,762 Posts
Fantastic job.
Mark Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wolf
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aeromodel Skybuggy 100
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:29 AM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,278 Posts
Pat,
It looks like it floats by in slow motion. The rewards of low wing loading from just enough structure...beautiful.
Robert
Robert R is offline Find More Posts by Robert R