HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:54 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
The Top Wing Began with the Center Section

The wings will plug in in pairs, with the center section being permanently attached to the cabanes. Again, there's nothing fancy here, just the standard "egg-crate" style spar and rib set up.
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:02 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
The Top Wing Panels

The wing panels are also of the "egg-crate" style construction, so they go together quickly. The tips are set up so that for those who want to go with the rounded style tips can by using the supplied tip plates. But if the preference is for the squared off style, simply cut the spars off outside the last rib and glue a 1/32 balsa skin over the end rib to stiffen it so the cover won't draw it in when shrunk.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:04 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Filling In the Ailerons

The ailerons are built into the panels and will be cut out and shaped once the assembly comes off the board.

From here we'll shape up the top wing assembly, then get the bottom wing framed. Stay tuned, things are moving along quickly now!!!

PAT
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:45 AM
Cobra Driver
Roxboro, NC
Joined Dec 2005
266 Posts
Lookin Great! When can I order! LOL

One thing about the wing tips though. For the squared off version shouldn't that be another bay at the end of the wing instead of just cutting the spars flush with the last rib? That's the way I am going to do it. But it's no problem for me to cut out an extra wing rib. So that is what I'll be doing.

I am enthralled by the look of the extended tail/ rudder. So I may have to modify the plans and build that tail.

Got my card in hand waiting to order as soon as it's all finished up and ready to go!
RedTwilight is offline Find More Posts by RedTwilight
Last edited by RedTwilight; Dec 21, 2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:51 AM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,530 Posts
WOOHOO! Can't believe I missed this one.
SteveC68 is offline Find More Posts by SteveC68
Old Dec 21, 2011, 01:11 PM
The Balsa Farmer
United States, AR, Sherwood
Joined Jul 2005
517 Posts
Pat - looking great, Are you going to try to bring it to SMALL in 2012?
bassfisher is offline Find More Posts by bassfisher
Old Dec 22, 2011, 01:49 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Framing the Bottom Wings

The bottom wings go together just like the top except thet're quicker and easier without the servo mounts. The parts were all laid out and assembled, then pinned in place ofer the plans and glued.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 01:51 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Finishing the Wing Assembly

After the major components were in place the leading and trailing edges were added. The root fairings were added last so that the wing conforms to the curvature in the fuselage when the wings are plugged in.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 01:54 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Adding the Aileron Assemblies

The ailerons were assembled into the wing panels before the wings were lifted from the board. Then the last addition was the leading edge turbulator spars. At this point, the top and bottom wings are framed and ready to shape and sand.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 01:56 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Finishing the Wings

The leading edges were carved and sanded to shape, then the entire assembly was rough sanded. The ailerons were removed and the final shaping done. The ailerons were then hinged and dry fitted onto the wing panels. The last step was then to add the brass joiner tubes on all four panels.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 02:00 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Building Up the Cabane and Interplane Struts

The interplane struts were framed using the laser cut parts and sanded to shape. The Cabanes were vent to shape, jigged up and soldered together. Now we're ready to fit the wings.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 02:04 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Fitting the Wings

The top wing C-section jig was cut from artists foam board and pinned to the fuselage centerline. The cabans struts were plugged in and the C-section taped to the jig. The wings were plugged in and the interplane struts dry fitted and the alignment checked. So far, so good. At this point, all those parts are starting to look like and airplane -- and a BIG airplane to boot!

Next up is to get the wing servos mounted and the wiring run in, then she'll be ready for the final detail sanding and cover.

PAT
Old Dec 22, 2011, 07:11 PM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,416 Posts
Pat,
The Ag Cat has big, burly, junkyard dog good looks. Loved how you made the root rib fit up with the fuse. This is a remarkable job on a remarkable subject.
Robert
Robert R is online now Find More Posts by Robert R
Old Dec 23, 2011, 07:28 AM
memphis TN
Joined Sep 2003
68 Posts
SMALL could be expensive this next year. An Ag Cat and a Storch (hopefully) and a ? and a ? and a ?. I can hardly wait!
old navy is offline Find More Posts by old navy
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:01 AM
Toulouse
Joined Jan 2007
240 Posts
If anyone wants to give it the Maltone treatment, try this link

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/do...ag-cat_n8882h/

Jerry
expat flyer is online now Find More Posts by expat flyer