HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:44 AM
Joined Dec 2011
5 Posts
I've given up on the retracts on mine. The nose wheel was always giving me trouble and would jam, etc.

I've cut and shaped some acetate sheet and CA'd it to the bottom of the fuselage, swapped to a 10 x 7 two blade prop and i belly land it now. the retracts are sat in my spares box.

It's awesome; flies very well. it isn't fast but flies very scale. you can slow it to a crawl, almost be able to pluck it out of the air.

The 10x7 prop draws around 20 amps for about 186 watts (which is a lot less than the 3 blader) so I can fly it for around 8 - 10 mins without issue. this is on 3s 2200MAH 20c lipos.
banx22 is offline Find More Posts by banx22
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:31 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying By View Post
Thanks mate - looks like I wasn't able to find it because I was looking for the GC badged product.
yarrumevets is offline Find More Posts by yarrumevets
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:11 AM
Australia, NSW, North Richmond
Joined May 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrumevets View Post
Does anyone know where the stock motor is available as a spare part?
HK don't list them and a bit of searching I've done hasn't got me anywhere. I'd like to put one in my PZ Trojan.
Cheers,
Steve
Chuck one of these in!! http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16233
I used to have it in my Parkzone corsair until i speared into the ground from loss of signal
This is what i have in the Trojan now, but running on 4 cell
buellbruce is offline Find More Posts by buellbruce
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:17 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Got one of those in my Parkzone P-47D and I tested it with the Durafly 10x6x3 Trojan prop - it wanted to draw 50+ Amps on 4S which would shorten my flight-times severly - I'm only using 1800 mAh Nano-techs to keep the wing-loading close to standard.

I could change the prop too (as you've done) but I like the look of semi-scale stock prop and I want to keep the external appearance of the model much as it is.

I've put the Durafly 4-bladed P-51/P-47 prop on the 3542-1000 and it looks good to go on 3S though. Tests show 38A and 1,400g static thrust so it should make the PZ P-47 climb reasonably well, even if the top speed isn't blistering.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:16 AM
Joined May 2011
179 Posts
[QUOTE=yarrumevets;23840231]Got one of those in my Parkzone P-47D and I tested it with the Durafly 10x6x3 Trojan prop - it wanted to draw 50+ Amps on 4S which would shorten my flight-times severly - I'm only using 1800 mAh Nano-techs to keep the wing-loading close to standard.

I could change the prop too (as you've done) but I like the look of semi-scale stock prop and I want to keep the external appearance of the model much as it is.

I've put the Durafly 4-bladed P-51/P-47 prop on the 3542-1000 and it looks good to go on 3S though. Tests show 38A and 1,400g static thrust so it should make the PZ P-47 climb reasonably well, even if the top speed isn't blistering.[/QUOTE

3 cell was fine on the Corsair, but i was running a 2650 ah, so flight times were quite good. I am only running two bladers now on the trojan as the 3 blader was too hard on the motor mount on belly landing.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:33 PM
United Kingdom, Warrington
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Thought I'd tackle the retracts again today. Thought I'd start by swapping the nose trunion over. I did this and tried it to see where needed to be flattened. Got it all sweet and working and going flat but then it started jamming a few times, so after a few times of taking it apart I decided to used the old retract housing that the metal trunion was originally in as it seems to move a bit more freely in that. So then I couldn't get the two halfs together for Aaaages something was stoppin it closing tight and the gear was slipping. Finally sorted that after a few hours and now NOW it won't work. I tell u what I nearly smashed this plane to pieces I'm that fed up with it. Had it 3 months and not flew it yet. Another thing if I'd av know how much of a waste of time this plane is I would av bought something else, god job it was very cheap, well it can stay there gathering dust now with all it's bits hanging off. I'm done with this bird not happy, bet I've spent about 7 hrs messing about with this AGAIN !!!!
Mrgeorgedoors is offline Find More Posts by Mrgeorgedoors
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:19 PM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
That's the way Mr George ... human spirit and perseverance 0, plastic toy 1
C'mon pal - that wasn't the stuff that made the Empire what it was
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:07 AM
Joined May 2011
179 Posts
I just gave up on the retracts
This is such a fun plane to fly, pity its spoilt by the crappy landing gear.
Got mine over the 100mph mark now in level flight
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:16 AM
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrumevets View Post
That's the way Mr George ... human spirit and perseverance 0, plastic toy 1
C'mon pal - that wasn't the stuff that made the Empire what it was
This is the 3rd attempt and every time near the re assembly point it fails or something goes wrong

So it's human spirit 0 toy 3

Gonna stick to my pz t28 I think
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:26 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Yes, well I've got to agree that the retracts are a let-down. I've had no end of trouble with the nose retract - never the mains though, always the nose. I thought i had my problems solved, but no - the new replacement nose retract is now jamming. I've just laid down more cash than I wanted to, to buy an Eflite nose-gear retract unit - hopefully that will be the final word!

Bruce is right - it's really worth the effort, I love cruising about at roughly 55% throttle and then going up against the stops at full-bore. It accelerates without any pitching or other changes in attitude and rockets across the field. When asked to climb it's spectacular, just point it up and away it goes. I love my PZ Trojan really and truly, but this one is a step up if you pimp it out just a little!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:31 PM
Joined May 2011
179 Posts
I've just laid down more cash than I wanted to, to buy an Eflite nose-gear retract unit - hopefully that will be the final word!

I have only had problems with the nose gear, others have been fine.
Let us know the part numbers and how it works out
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:46 PM
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Currently having a break from tacking note grinding on the trunion already starting to wind me up arrrghhhh flipping thing
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:46 PM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buellbruce View Post
I have only had problems with the nose gear, others have been fine.
Let us know the part numbers and how it works out
OK - here's a copy of my sales order from Phil's Hobbies in Indiana, USA - dealt with them a few times now, they've got a massive range of stock and I go there when I can't get what I need from Modelflight.

10 - 15 Nose Electric Retract Unit (EFLG111)
Ordered 1 at $49.99 each; total $49.99
10 - 15 Nose Gear Wire Strut (EFLG112)
Ordered 1 at $7.39 each; total $7.39
================================================== ================

Product Total: 57.38
Shipping: 8.28
Sales Tax: 0.00
Grand Total: 65.66

Thank you for shopping at Phil's Hobby Shop!
Phil's Hobby Shop
3938 W Jefferson Blvd
Fort Wayne, IN 46804

Cost me AUD $62 - I might not really need the wire strut, but thought I'd get it anyway in case I end up transferring the unit to another plane later on. So, $60 for one retract unit ... the thing had better live up to expectations!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:46 PM
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Gave up on the nose again was winding me up did some more grinding but still kept catching somewhere. So replaced the other main completed unit strut wheel all complete was easy to swap the whole thing that just the retract least they're workin now. Oh we'll nearly there, willl come back to it in a day or two..
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:59 PM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Good stuff George! Get yourself a pint of Boddies.
Best of British for the maiden
Steve