HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:28 AM
Perth, WA
Joined Jul 2006
453 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies everyone, could anyone supply with with a simple photo to demonstrate how it should be? Bit confused if the error is on my part or at the factory having the control horn neutral.

EDIT* Just answered my own question looking at a picture showing the neutral position on a P51, mine is in the middle.
Same is offline Find More Posts by Same
Last edited by Same; Jan 22, 2012 at 08:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:04 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Yeh, as Phoenix said - the correct technique to obtain more movement is to switch flaps up, then unscrew the horn on the flap servo and rotate the horn back towards the trailing edge and re-fix it with the screw so that in the "up" position, the horn isn't sticking out of the wing perpendicular to the underside. Then shorten the control-rod until the flaps are in "up" position again.
yarrumevets is offline Find More Posts by yarrumevets
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:29 AM
Perth, WA
Joined Jul 2006
453 Posts
Okay thanks for the reply, I've tried what you suggested and the new problem was that I could no longer return it back far enough to be in-line with the wing at neutral I'm probably just not getting it.

If you could take a photo for me showing it with out the flaps deployed I'd work it out much easier, perhaps it's the summer heat getting to my head thanks again!
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:33 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
I know what you mean - unfortunately I can't get a photograph or video of mine for a couple of weeks because I've got mine packed away while my house undergoes a serious bit of renovation work.
yarrumevets is offline Find More Posts by yarrumevets
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:48 PM
Perth, WA
Joined Jul 2006
453 Posts
Thanks no worries, I've tried a bunch of configurations and whatever I do it seems the servo just doesn't travel enough I will just leave it the way it was that should be more than enough for a maiden etc.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Aug 2011
793 Posts
Same,
how have you got the wing configuration set in your radio?
jim350 is offline Find More Posts by jim350
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:09 PM
The land down under
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2010
558 Posts
You will need to go into the flap settings for your Spektrum radios, your manual should be able to help out with this. I don't fly spektrum otherwise I could help you out.

I have no issue setting up the flaps on any of my Durafly planes, so I'd say it all comes down to the radio....you will need to tell the radio that you have flaps so the radio can control them via a switch, from there you go into the flap setting on your radio.
simo71 is offline Find More Posts by simo71
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:46 PM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
Same, look at photo of my funcub's flaps. Notice that the servo is pointing to the trailing edge at neutral. This is what scott and yarrumevets meant.

I did NOT do this, simply because I did not notice it before Scott said it.
Mine is done mostly in my radio. I mounted the control rod to the innermost hole on the flaps control horn.

If you have already maxed out your flap travel setting and the flap setting, then you can try the Flap > Flap mix. This is assuming that you can still get some travel out of the servo. Mine's a different plane (P51), so your mileage may vary.

Eventually, I will still move the horn backwards mechanically, connect the control rods to the outermost hole, and finetune the programming to have the same throws. This will give the flap servo more leverage and make it work less as hard.

What radio and wing mix do you have?
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:24 PM
Mike
Joined Dec 2010
750 Posts
since i'm such a nice guy (and because it's the chinese new year holiday) , I decided to make the changes now.

I am using a DX8 and the '1 Aileron, 1 Flap' wing mix. I did NOT even have to re-mount the flap servo control horn. It is done in the radio.

1) First, I disconnected the control rod.

2) I programmed the Normal flap setting from "0%" to a high negative number (-122% in my case). You will have to find your own number. Your number may also be positive or negative. Do NOT leave it as Zero.
The idea is to get the servo horn to move towards the trailing edge. Make sure it does not move too far back that you have to cut your control rod to make it fit. I had shorten my control rod as far as possible (by twisting it), and then adjust the flap setting accordingly.

That is it!

The reason why Spectrum did it this way is probably to allow us to program in the flaps as airbrakes. Of course, this is not possible with the P51 as the flap hinge move one way only. Is this the same with the T28?
miketre is offline Find More Posts by miketre
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:11 AM
Perth, WA
Joined Jul 2006
453 Posts
Thanks so much for all the help everyone, I managed to setup a "mix, flap-flap" and now all seems okay, the DX6i is a little different menu/setup wise to the DX8 which I was reading about.

She's all ready for a maiden, just need for find the time. Thanks again
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Feb 2011
21 Posts
Anyone who's flown this plane, how does the nosewheel stand up to rough surfaces? Will it withstand grass?
mazz738 is offline Find More Posts by mazz738
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined Aug 2011
793 Posts
grass handling is manageable with care. takes off no problems however watch the landings. make sure you keep the nose up the whole time and let the main gear touch first.
i snapped the trunnion on the second flight due to the front gear touching down first and digging into the grass.
i have since installed a larger retract in the front and will test out this weekend for durability.
Ideally HobbyKing need to install the rear retracts in the front as they have a metal trunnion.
I would be happy to be able to purchase a rear retract as a spare part, along with a spare props.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:19 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Oct 2011
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketre View Post
How come the T-28 does not come with a pilot or two?
Which HK pilot fits? I'd like two military types with helmets?
Crashj007 is offline Find More Posts by Crashj007
Old Jan 25, 2012, 02:48 AM
Joined Feb 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim350 View Post
grass handling is manageable with care. takes off no problems however watch the landings. make sure you keep the nose up the whole time and let the main gear touch first.
i snapped the trunnion on the second flight due to the front gear touching down first and digging into the grass.
i have since installed a larger retract in the front and will test out this weekend for durability.
Ideally HobbyKing need to install the rear retracts in the front as they have a metal trunnion.
I would be happy to be able to purchase a rear retract as a spare part, along with a spare props.
Thanks jim350. I guess I should chuck a couple nose retracts into the basket as spares when I buy this plane.

If it's not too much to ask could you post pictures of your new retract please? How hard it is to replace the retract? Cheers
mazz738 is offline Find More Posts by mazz738
Last edited by mazz738; Jan 25, 2012 at 05:00 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:32 AM
Joined Aug 2011
793 Posts
this is the stock direct replacement for the front

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...1pc_18_8g.html

this is the retract i have now installed on the front. it is larger and required drilling new mounting holes in the top of the retract to line up with the mounts and the addition of some spacers to take up the gap between the mounts and the retract top. slight modification to the plastic on the front strut to clear the retract motor and readjustment of all the linkages.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...stem_1pc_.html

hopefully Hobbyking release the rear retracts as a spare part as that has metal parts and would be a direct drop in replacement for the front.

i have not flown with the new retract yet to test durability however it should do a lot better than the stock unit. hopefully if the weather is ok i will be flying tomorrow morning.