HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:13 AM
Perth, Australia
Joined Nov 2012
3 Posts
Brilliant! Thanks Lurch, appreciate the help!

Dan
Dekard06 is offline Find More Posts by Dekard06
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:03 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,767 Posts
Maidened mine today!
Need a metal trunion now

Seemed to be very nose heavy and dropped onto the front end when landing folding the wheel back.

A good and bad day!

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:38 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Don't worry Tony - the trunnion upgrade is pretty much unavoidable sooner or later, you'll be happier for it (even though you're going to wish it hadn't been necessary).

I've been steadily moving my CoG aft as I too think it's nose-heavy in the recommended configuration. Looks like I'll have it so far back that I'll soon have to put another velcro retaining strap in because the battery will be completely out of reach of the original strap! I'm taking this procedure slowly though so that I don't overdo it.

I had another three flights today on 4S batteries ... it's a thrill to see it rip past at full-tilt on a low pass! Love it!
yarrumevets is offline Find More Posts by yarrumevets
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:40 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,767 Posts
Thanks!

I've got some 4S too to try (when it's fixed)
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:01 PM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrumevets View Post
I think I've got my retracts behaving at last - I removed the main-gear covers because they were constantly breaking and fouling the movement, causing jams. The nose gear seems happier after the trunnion exchange.
I might have spoken too soon here - twice today the nose gear leg jammed at about 30deg down for no apparent reason, forcing me to make gear-up belly-landings. Once on the ground with a little prodding it would start to work again ... I think I must have ballsed something up when I did the trunnion swap.

The lack of reliability with my nose retract is the only thing that I've got an issue with (the main gear retracts are fine without the doors). I decided to get a new complete metal trunnion unit from Philip and be done with it!

http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id/2385
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:13 PM
Australia, NSW, North Richmond
Joined May 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
To follow up on this - I got around to connecting my Wattmeter and got much the same numbers as you Bruce: 44A initially, dropping to a steady 42A. This was static, so the in-flight numbers would be a little lower but I want to keep the stock prop and a safety margin so I replaced the ESC with a 45A Aeolian. Two more flights in perfect conditions today with sustained full-bore runs This thing is a gem on 4S.

I think I've got my retracts behaving at last - I removed the main-gear covers because they were constantly breaking and fouling the movement, causing jams. The nose gear seems happier after the trunnion exchange.

I hope the weather is as good tomorrow!
Just fitted a 50/60 amp ESC and put in a bigger and higher (1000)kva motor, running a 11 x 10 prop, got 153kph in level flight, 185 kph coming out of a dive
Trying to work out what prop i need to break the old 100mph ??
buellbruce is offline Find More Posts by buellbruce
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:22 PM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Keep at it Bruce - when you eventually break the sound-barrier, I'll hear the boom at my field in Toongabbie

Have a great New Year,
Steve
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:36 PM
Australia, NSW, North Richmond
Joined May 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Keep at it Bruce - when you eventually break the sound-barrier, I'll hear the boom at my field in Toongabbie

Have a great New Year,
Steve
Same to you!! Just ordering some props from HK,
10x 8
11 x 7
11x 8.5 & 11x 10
Surely i can get there with one of these
buellbruce is offline Find More Posts by buellbruce
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:03 PM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
2,279 Posts
Quote:
I might have spoken too soon here - twice today the nose gear leg jammed at about 30deg down for no apparent reason, forcing me to make gear-up belly-landings. Once on the ground with a little prodding it would start to work again ... I think I must have ballsed something up when I did the trunnion swap.

The lack of reliability with my nose retract is the only thing that I've got an issue with (the main gear retracts are fine without the doors). I decided to get a new complete metal trunnion unit from Philip and be done with it!

http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id/2385
I have to ask!!
Did you modify anything around the E/circlip at the top of the leg where it goes through the metal trunnion (to hold it in)??
If not this will be your problem! And if you don't do that mod it will happen with the new retract from PW-RC.

LURCH
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:50 PM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Lurch - I think I know what you're getting at, but the leg isn't passing through the trunnion and touching anything within the body of the retract. I carefully ensured that the circlip was in position on the end of the leg and that there wasn't any chance of things touching or binding there. It's got me at a loss because the first time this happened, I spent a couple of hours with everything all apart on the benchtop, checking things over and I just couldn't find a reason for it to jam. I re-assembled it and it was perfect for about five or six flights, then the same thing re-occurred.

With the next one, I'm going to give the circlip the flick and instead go back to using the lock-screws in from the sides as I've done with the retracts in my Dynam AT-6 Texan.

Have a great New Year,
Steve
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:37 AM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
2,279 Posts
Quote:
Lurch - I think I know what you're getting at, but the leg isn't passing through the trunnion and touching anything within the body of the retract. I carefully ensured that the circlip was in position on the end of the leg and that there wasn't any chance of things touching or binding there. It's got me at a loss because the first time this happened, I spent a couple of hours with everything all apart on the benchtop, checking things over and I just couldn't find a reason for it to jam. I re-assembled it and it was perfect for about five or six flights, then the same thing re-occurred.

With the next one, I'm going to give the circlip the flick and instead go back to using the lock-screws in from the sides as I've done with the retracts in my Dynam AT-6 Texan.

Have a great New Year,
Steve
Isn't the Texan a tail drager!!
If you put the two grub screws in from each side it will not be able to steer!!

LURCH
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:40 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101 View Post
Isn't the Texan a tail drager!!
If you put the two grub screws in from each side it will not be able to steer!!

LURCH
Whoops! What a shocker - well, that's my last obvious cockup for this year

Yes, you're right - I'll be paying much more attention to the circlip geometry then.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:08 AM
Austin, TX.
Joined Feb 2008
155 Posts
Need help...Motor offset...

Mine balled up on an aborted takeoff. I am going fixed gear now (using from the E-Flight Bonanza). I have that already done. My question is, that I know the motor is offset to the right a few degrees, HOW MUCH? I have had to replace the motor mount due to my crash, and I am using plywood instead of the plastic. So, since that I am there I am also taking out the stock motor and installing the one from the Dynam Spit in her. I will be running a 11x8 two blade as well. I am also upping my ESC to a 70a type and will eventually run 4s in her.

I am guessing the incline to the right in the motor mount is about 3 * (degrees), am I close?

Thanks,

JC

Austin, Tx
J_Cunny is offline Find More Posts by J_Cunny
Last edited by J_Cunny; Jan 01, 2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:52 PM
Alpha Whisky
Queensland - Australia
Joined Jan 2006
282 Posts
Quote:
Whoops! What a shocker - well, that's my last obvious cockup for this year

Yes, you're right - I'll be paying much more attention to the circlip geometry then.
I wouldn`t be at all concerned about non-steering nose or tail wheels. I intend to have the nose-wheel on my T-28 non-steerable when I get around to repairing it. It`s not an issue.

I have several other models- sport aerobatics and also an 80" O/D Spitfire with fixed tail wheels and all steer remarkably well using rudder only. Been doing it this way for maybe ten years now....

Alan W
AlphaWhisky is offline Find More Posts by AlphaWhisky
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:26 PM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Thanks Alan - that will be my fall-back plan then. I guess I wouldn't miss the steering much, since I tend to always walk out and put the plane on the runway and then collect it afterwards without taxying because the ground where I fly is often too rough and uneven anyway.

Cheers,
Steve