SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:38 PM
United Kingdom, Warrington
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Will have a proper look at it over the wk end. Want to make sure it's right before I take it out. Hope it's something simple. Just have to make do with the funfighters for now
Mrgeorgedoors is offline Find More Posts by Mrgeorgedoors
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:43 PM
United Kingdom, England, Leighton Buzzard
Joined Apr 2012
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgeorgedoors View Post
Will have a proper look at it over the wk end. Want to make sure it's right before I take it out. Hope it's something simple. Just have to make do with the funfighters for now
If you do find your retract unit is duff ive a spare here i can post on to you,save you waiting for that slow boat from china
Markbinim is offline Find More Posts by Markbinim
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:03 PM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
273 Posts
Quote:
Yeah I bought this as a quick replacement for my pz t28 because my ar500 failed and plane crashed into trees and pretty much killed it, i have another to rebuild with the upgraded parts from the crashed one just not got round to doing it yet. Now I have a damaged set of wings I was going to practice the flap mod on them 1st. Just thought these durafly ones were supposed to be decent.
Having seen both the PZ and HK T28 side by side I would have to say the Durafly unit is the pick of the two. PZ one is a bit "floaty" where the durafly one flys with lots of authority. It has a real punch through the air in the heaviest of winds. I consistently fly it in 25km/h +. And importantly, it is fun to fly in those conditions.

How much $ to get the PZ one to the same spec as the durafly?? And it still wouldnt fly as good!

Stick with it. It will be worth the wait!
GavDorro is online now Find More Posts by GavDorro
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markbinim View Post
If you do find your retract unit is duff ive a spare here i can post on to you,save you waiting for that slow boat from china
That would be awesome mate. I'm out flying tomorrow so will deffo look at it over the wk end

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavDorro View Post
Having seen both the PZ and HK T28 side by side I would have to say the Durafly unit is the pick of the two. PZ one is a bit "floaty" where the durafly one flys with lots of authority. It has a real punch through the air in the heaviest of winds. I consistently fly it in 25km/h +. And importantly, it is fun to fly in those conditions.

How much $ to get the PZ one to the same spec as the durafly?? And it still wouldnt fly as good!

Stick with it. It will be worth the wait!
To be honest I bought my pz cheap 2nd hand practically new condition. Then a month later i bought another one with uprated motor and turnigy 60esc for 80 and bought some 4s batteries. Only flew it once on 4s before ar500 decided to die and so did the plane but it was fast and just climed and climed like you wouldn't beleive. So looking forward to rebuilding that one just not lookin forward to painting it again.

But I agree side by side the durafly is the better looking bird and can tell it will fly much better with the weight although my pz did have quite a bit of weight added to it with the heavier motor and had to upgrade the mount also as that snapped 1st time out once I'd changed it.

I will stick with it and hopefull get it sorted ASAP as it doin my head in just looking at the thing.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:28 PM
Bathurst, NSW, Oztralia
Joined Mar 2011
230 Posts
Hi Gents,
In around March, I had a nose in due to brown out, and that snapped my front retract. I replaced with a metal trunnion etc, but it never worked well after that.
I bought a parkzone tricycle retract set and pt the nose one in the durafly. I just used the dremel to cut out the posts etc and screwed the pz retract straight into the base. pretty straight forward and hopefully will have me flying this bird again
rooni79 is offline Find More Posts by rooni79
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:29 AM
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Well I got a reply from hk saying they couldn't view the video I sent so have just done another and sent that over. Backlog of complaints apparently.

Had another quick look while I was doing it not still not sure where the play is coming from and it doesn't quite extend fully. Hope this gets sorted by them or I could have fixed it myself and be flying it nice day today for it too
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:31 AM
Austin, TX.
Joined Feb 2008
155 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys

I received my durafly t-28 last Friday and was well chuffed, very nice plane and feels a lot sturdier than my pz t-28. However, after putting it all together and then as you do, you want to test the retracts, I did and noticed than one of them doesn't quite look straight, the retract seems to extend fully but has a little play in it..and the flap servos are very noisy and kept chattering

I feel your pain. I had same issue and end ponts and expo did nothing to solve it. I ended up replacing them with a very reasonably priced HiTech servo on both wings ( I don't remember the model number but they are the clear Blue ones.. About 10 bucks apiece). As far as the "slow/reduced servo speed" thing goes, my Futaba 7c uses a rotary knob for flaps, so I have control that way of speed, I also have dual rates if I want to play around with it.

As far as the gear goes,THAT is the major issue with this bird!!! Why on earth would anybody would think that the plastic trunion would hold up, in all honesty, is truely "special". Couple that with the fact the metal unit has to be created, is also a pain. I have fixed mine, after all it is a "mechanical" hobby after all. However, it is disappointing to get one out of the box and have issues. I would think they will get back with you on this...eventually, again however, you might not get the resolution that you are after...

My thoughts,

JC (fellow Platinum level member at HK)

Austin, Tx
J_Cunny is offline Find More Posts by J_Cunny
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:54 AM
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Cunny View Post
I feel your pain. I had same issue and end ponts and expo did nothing to solve it. I ended up replacing them with a very reasonably priced HiTech servo on both wings ( I don't remember the model number but they are the clear Blue ones.. About 10 bucks apiece). As far as the "slow/reduced servo speed" thing goes, my Futaba 7c uses a rotary knob for flaps, so I have control that way of speed, I also have dual rates if I want to play around with it.

As far as the gear goes,THAT is the major issue with this bird!!! Why on earth would anybody would think that the plastic trunion would hold up, in all honesty, is truely "special". Couple that with the fact the metal unit has to be created, is also a pain. I have fixed mine, after all it is a "mechanical" hobby after all. However, it is disappointing to get one out of the boxy and have issues. I would think they will get back with you on this...eventually, again however, you might not get the resolution that you are after...

My thoughts,

JC (fellow Platinum level member at HK)

Austin, Tx

Well If it comes to it I can take mark up on the offer of the retract and I have servos I could use off my pz t-28 that I totalled a few wks back I'm sure they'll do the job. What's the other main issues with this bird apart from the servos and the faulty retract? Seem to have seen a few mention the nose wheel too?
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:44 PM
Austin, TX.
Joined Feb 2008
155 Posts
The mains are fine, the nose gear sucks!!!!
J_Cunny is offline Find More Posts by J_Cunny
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Cunny View Post
The mains are fine, the nose gear sucks!!!!
In what way? And what's the alternative?

Cheers

Rod
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:16 PM
United Kingdom, England, Leighton Buzzard
Joined Apr 2012
296 Posts
Quote:
In what way? And what's the alternative?

Cheers

Rod
the servo in the nose wheel has a plastic trunnion,even with the worlds best landings this will break eventually.it will need to be swapped for a metal trunnion but this will require further modding
Markbinim is offline Find More Posts by Markbinim
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:17 AM
Australia, NSW, North Richmond
Joined May 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markbinim View Post
the servo in the nose wheel has a plastic trunnion,even with the worlds best landings this will break eventually.it will need to be swapped for a metal trunnion but this will require further modding
Mine lasted about 5 landings before breaking Just did the metal trunnion mod to the original mechanism and with a bit of filing and fiddling, it works great!!
Flew it this morning and landed heaps of times and no problem. Wish Hobbyking would just do the mod before selling it!!
buellbruce is offline Find More Posts by buellbruce
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:21 AM
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
That's a bit poo. So what u guys replacing it with ? I may as well try get these done while its still grounded.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:43 AM
Joined May 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
That's a bit poo. So what u guys replacing it with ? I may as well try get these done while its still grounded.
go back to #734 thats the part i used and worked fine. I also bought two of the complete hobbyking retracts but didnt use them as it was pretty easy to swap the trunnion over on the original unit.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:47 AM
Joined May 2011
179 Posts
Video from cockpit and above cockpit on Durafly T28 Trojan (0 min 0 sec)

Flight from this morning, viewed from inside the cockpit and on top of the cockpit. This is one fun plane to fly ) Video should be on in an hour...
Last edited by buellbruce; Nov 24, 2012 at 05:48 AM. Reason: waiting for youtube