HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:44 PM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Nov 2009
131 Posts
Hello All.

I have recently bought one of the T-28's and love it.

If i was able to supply metal front gear trunnions as a direct replacement for the original plastic ones who would want one and how much would people pay.

I will not be able to produce them for $3 like chia could but would like to get a feel for how much people would spend.

Thanks

Chris.
Chris-DC5 is offline Find More Posts by Chris-DC5
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:53 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,776 Posts
Where are you based?
I might be interested if you were in the UK.

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:32 PM
Austin, TX.
Joined Feb 2008
155 Posts
I'd be willing to spend about 20 bucks for a GOOD metal one. One that can be trusted to work ALL of the time..such that it is...

JC
Austin, Tx
J_Cunny is offline Find More Posts by J_Cunny
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:22 AM
United Kingdom, Warrington
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Faulty gear

Hi guys

I received my durafly t-28 last Friday and was well chuffed, very nice plane and feels a lot sturdier than my pz t-28. However, after putting it all together and then as you do, you want to test the retracts, I did and noticed than one of them doesn't quite look straight, the retract seems to extend fully but has a little play in it..and the flap servos are very noisy and kept chattering as tho they wanted to keep going? I turned the travel down from 100 to 75 and it improved it slightly but not much, I Wasn't impressed with this as I had just bought 3 planes from hobby king and few other things totalling a nearly 300

So I got onto hk and as usual they ask for a video of the fault. So I did this and posted it and got a reply on Sunday saying its been passed to technical department and will hear something in 1-2 days...

I haven't heard anything, I contacted again on Monday evenings and got ignored, I mailed again on Tuesday got ignored again, and I contacted them again yesterday evening and still nobody has even acknowledged me. This has left me very angry to say the least and I contacted them again to tell them this with a few choice words.. I really love this plane but haven't had the chance to fly it because of this problem.

I even opened a new ticket complaining about the poor service and to come and arrange collection for this plane and issue a full refund. I've had it with hk now and I'll not be buying anything else from them, I just want to get this plane out my house so I can buy a new one that works and from someone trustworthy who has a good customer service.

I've read somewhere that hk customer service/returns policy are 2nd to non. Yeah right total rubbish. You have 1 wk to return well today is one wk and they haven't done anything to help me with this problem. Personally I wouldn't recommend hk to anybody after this

Not a very happy bunny to say the least

Edit:

They need to remove this quote from their website

Welcome Platinum member!
We take our customers membership very seriously, and as a platinum member you will be given the best service possible with prioritisation in support issues and warranty claims.
Platinum members can also enjoy the very best pricing from our store and receive exclusive discount emails.
As a Platinum member we value you as a customer greatly and will try our best to ensure your expectations are met.

HOBBYKING SUCK!!!!!!
Mrgeorgedoors is offline Find More Posts by Mrgeorgedoors
Last edited by Mrgeorgedoors; Nov 22, 2012 at 04:32 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:30 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,776 Posts
It's a common complaint Im afraid...

I normally buy from HH but got my Durafly T28 as I wanted the retracts and flaps. I too got a buzzing flap servo but all else is good. I accept this as cheap and cheerful service, at the end of the day I don't mind flying with a buzzing flap servo. If it gives up then it will get replaced.

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:34 AM
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Yeah I can live with the buzzing servo but the retract is an issue, looks like I'm going to have to source the part myself and replace it that's if there are parts for it I haven't looked yet and hopefully somewhere other than hk supply them!
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:09 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jan 2010
121 Posts
Trunnion on nose gear and flap servos buzzing

Hi Guys,

Well thanks to the advice here (Thanks Steve aka yurramevets) I got my metal trunnion in but then I spent quite a while gently filing it here and there until everything would work properly. I found the end of the nose leg would get caught on the wedge of metal that rides up and down the worm drive. I spent a lot of time with the retract mechanism open, holding the trunnion in place while I drove the worm drive up and down by hand to check it wasn't getting caught on anything.

I kept at it until the thing finally worked consistently but it was a truly frustrating exercise. The other issue is, with the new setup, my nose gear should be about 2 mm longer but sitting on a level serface the nose is angled slightly down. Unfortunately I didn't check out the original setup before I pulled it all apart.

I had the same issue with the flap servos buzzing. I carefully cut a diagonal slice of the rear edge of the wing along the flap line to allow the flap to extend further. Then I adjusted the travel to 85%. That stopped the buzzing. Its important to stop the buzzing because otherwise the servos are straining to get the flaps further down. This will ultimately wear the servos out but also it will be drawing extra current while down.

Any opinions on my Trojan sitting slightly nose down would be appreciated.
MikeRobey42 is offline Find More Posts by MikeRobey42
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:20 AM
United Kingdom, England, Leighton Buzzard
Joined Apr 2012
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRobey42 View Post
Hi Guys,

Well thanks to the advice here (Thanks Steve aka yurramevets) I got my metal trunnion in but then I spent quite a while gently filing it here and there until everything would work properly. I found the end of the nose leg would get caught on the wedge of metal that rides up and down the worm drive. I spent a lot of time with the retract mechanism open, holding the trunnion in place while I drove the worm drive up and down by hand to check it wasn't getting caught on anything.

I kept at it until the thing finally worked consistently but it was a truly frustrating exercise. The other issue is, with the new setup, my nose gear should be about 2 mm longer but sitting on a level serface the nose is angled slightly down. Unfortunately I didn't check out the original setup before I pulled it all apart.

I had the same issue with the flap servos buzzing. I carefully cut a diagonal slice of the rear edge of the wing along the flap line to allow the flap to extend further. Then I adjusted the travel to 85%. That stopped the buzzing. Its important to stop the buzzing because otherwise the servos are straining to get the flaps further down. This will ultimately wear the servos out but also it will be drawing extra current while down.

Any opinions on my Trojan sitting slightly nose down would be appreciated.
HIi Mike,mine is the same(both before and after the trunnion mod)slightly nose down.it hasn't ever caused any issues for me.
mark
Markbinim is offline Find More Posts by Markbinim
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:42 AM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgeorgedoors View Post

They need to remove this quote from their website

Welcome Platinum member!
We take our customers membership very seriously, and as a platinum member you will be given the best service possible with prioritisation in support issues and warranty claims.
Platinum members can also enjoy the very best pricing from our store and receive exclusive discount emails.
As a Platinum member we value you as a customer greatly and will try our best to ensure your expectations are met.
I would have to agree....As far as I am aware the only plus with being a platinum member is that you dont have to wait for the "we noticed you have been looking at x product for a while" price reduction / buy now button.
Everything else is just lip service I'm afraid.

However, having said that, I dont believe there would be too many people who purchase from hobbyking without some understanding that model RC bought cheap is often going to require some tweaking?
The undercarraige on the T28 is its achilles heel and this is fairly well documented here.
Manually working the flaps before connecting the control rods could solve your servo buzz. I have burnt out 3 or 4 cheap servos by missing this fairly important step when setting up a new plane.

Not defending HK's lack of response to your enquiry. Indeed it sounds all to familiar.......
GavDorro is offline Find More Posts by GavDorro
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:01 AM
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Well still no response from hk so basically untold them what I think. Yeah I understand its a cheap plane and it only cost me 110 posted and feels syurdier than my pz T-28
but still they should make sure that this problem is solved before selling anymore of these planes or any others that it may concern. Feel really let down by hk have spent a lot of money the last few wks. Time to shop elsewhere I think.

I always manual move all control surfaces before fitting control horns and pushrods. My travel is set at 75% and still buzzes

Anyone know of a p/n for the retract? Looks like ill have to replace it myself and fast not flew this bird yet and I'm itching too had a few nice days where I could have

Cheers

Rod
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:15 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,776 Posts
Unfortunately that is HK.
I bought mine knowing it may need faults fixing, if I wanted a plane to fly from the box then I would have (as I usually do) bought the Parkzone version and added the retracts and flaps myself.

Seeing as buying either would involve work I took the cheap option. Looks like I got lucky.

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Yeah I bought this as a quick replacement for my pz t28 because my ar500 failed and plane crashed into trees and pretty much killed it, i have another to rebuild with the upgraded parts from the crashed one just not got round to doing it yet. Now I have a damaged set of wings I was going to practice the flap mod on them 1st. Just thought these durafly ones were supposed to be decent.

As long as the part is a available ill do it myself, will have to see if there is a part number on the retract
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Apr 2012
296 Posts
Quote:
Yeah I bought this as a quick replacement for my pz t28 because my ar500 failed and plane crashed into trees and pretty much killed it, i have another to rebuild with the upgraded parts from the crashed one just not got round to doing it yet. Now I have a damaged set of wings I was going to practice the flap mod on them 1st. Just thought these durafly ones were supposed to be decent.

As long as the part is a available ill do it myself, will have to see if there is a part number on the retract
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...478&aff=666571
thats the unit you need,is it just the leg thats loose on yours?
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:53 PM
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markbinim View Post
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...478&aff=666571
thats the unit you need,is it just the leg thats loose on yours?
Cheers for that

It's like it opens all the way but when u look at it it doesn't look straight, with the bit of play that it has I can just wiggle it back and too slightly. Don't think it's the leg havnt really inspected it properly just shoved it to one side. Will have to look at it properly
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Apr 2012
296 Posts
Quote:
Cheers for that

It's like it opens all the way but when u look at it it doesn't look straight, with the bit of play that it has I can just wiggle it back and too slightly. Don't think it's the leg havnt really inspected it properly just shoved it to one side. Will have to look at it properly
sounds like its something simple,ive got most of the durafly warbirds and a couple have had small issues with the retracts.the retract mounting plate in the wing has needed re gluing and a bit of re shimming of the unit.shame your not happy with yours as mines been spot on apart from having to change the nose wheel trunnion to a metal one.
mark