SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:59 AM
Alpha Whisky
Queensland - Australia
Joined Jan 2006
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Would it sitting low at the front be such a problem?
Surely it would just rotate onto the mains for a short while then takeoff, like the big boys do...
I think it is a problem. I`m no boffin, but I reckon if it is sitting on the ground and the wings have a negative AOA, it will only get worse as it speeds along the ground. For mine, that seems to be what is happening now.

First time out the other day, there was plenty of speed along the ground, but after more than 50 metres it never looked like taking off.

Tomorrow, weather permitting, maybe I will find out if the combination of up-elevator and some flaps will overcome the problem ....?

Alan W
AlphaWhisky is offline Find More Posts by AlphaWhisky
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:54 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,772 Posts
Yeah, looks like more Elevator authority is needed, there should be no problem lifting up the front.

I suspect that if you are correct about the negative AOA then Flaps will make things worse, not better.

Tony
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:17 PM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
291 Posts
maybe too obvious to mention....
Have you rechecked the throttle range? Just wondering if your getting full power? Because this thing into a light headwind leaps into the air from any surface.
GavDorro is offline Find More Posts by GavDorro
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:41 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,772 Posts
Or GoG?
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:23 PM
Alpha Whisky
Queensland - Australia
Joined Jan 2006
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavDorro View Post
maybe too obvious to mention....
Have you rechecked the throttle range? Just wondering if your getting full power? Because this thing into a light headwind leaps into the air from any surface.
Not long back from this morning`s session. We fly from a turf farm of around 500 acres of commercially managed (mostly) mowed grass. We have no dedicated prepared strip, just use what we have when we arrive.

It was overcast and a cool 23*C with just a light breeze. Throttle is not a problem, it has ample power on 3S and the CG checks OK. First attempt (no flaps) and the nosewheel immediately dug in and the prop was shooting cut grass in all directions.

Second attempt (still no flaps) I had a clubmate hold the tail down with the nosewheel about an inch above the ground. I ran up full power and on release the model was airborne in less than 2 metres. Two clicks of down trim and two of right and what a sweet flying model, I`m well impressed. I flew for maybe five minutes with several loops and rolls included and all very comfortable. I deployed the flaps (maybe 25 degrees is all I have available and attitude change at all.

The trouble came on landing. I slowed up as much as I could, flaps still deployed nose up and intended to land on the mains. It slowed OK, but then arrived on all three at the same time. The nosewheel immediately dug in and the plastic trunnion broke - no damage to the prop.

I had taken the precaution of ordering a spare prop and nosegear and will change the leg this afternoon.

Conclusion is that the model is OK, just not suited to this site so I will keep it for elsewhere.

Spent the rest of the morning flying two (belly lander) EDF jets, and my trusty old GWS Formosa that was setup with trike undercarriage when built all of three years ago - no more dramas today.

Cheers,

Alan W
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:13 PM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Glad to hear that you got it up there Alan - congrats!
yarrumevets is offline Find More Posts by yarrumevets
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:35 PM
Alpha Whisky
Queensland - Australia
Joined Jan 2006
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrumevets View Post
Glad to hear that you got it up there Alan - congrats!
Thanks - in retrospect, I reckon it was the increased elevator throw that did it. I really don`t think it would have taken off a glass runway with the original elevator setup......

Alan W
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:43 AM
Joined Aug 2011
97 Posts
Quote:
I put 1800 mAh 4S nanotech batteries in it - they weigh almost exactly the same as the 2200 mAh 3S types so I'm not changing the wing-loading or CoG at all. I keep the high-speed bursts to about 15 seconds duration and it's really good fun. It cruises at about 60% throttle. Highly recommended.

The only hassle I've been having is with my nosewheel retract - I did the metal trunnion upgrade and have had four faultless flights since, but today on the fifth flight the nosewheel decided to jam about one-third the way down when I was extending the gear to land (the mains where fine). I tried them up and down another three times, then inverted to see if that could free the jam - nothing doing. I had to put the mains up and bring her in for a gear-up belly-landing. Don't know what the problem is - when I got back from the field I was tired and it has been a really warm day so I got into the beers - the plane can wait until tomorrow
I know that with mine sometimes the rear edge of the cowl sips back and fowls the gear doors, only slightly, but just enough to hang them sometimes. Might be worth checking.

Darren
013531 is offline Find More Posts by 013531
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:46 AM
Joined Aug 2011
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWhisky View Post
I bought one of these recently as an impulse buy and it has become a can of worms.

I note that many are having problems with the nose retract but I haven`t got that far yet .... My problem is that I just can`t get it to fly.....!

Our regular strip is 'grabby' grass - not like the sealed strips and country roads in much of the video here - and although that certainly is not a positive. The model will get up to a decent speed but just will not rotate. I reckon the nose leg is too short and the angle of attack sitting on the deck is all wrong....

My first reaction with the model back on the bench was to put a packer, say 6mm thick, under the retract unit, but I suspect from reading about front retract problems here that it might not be as simple as that...

I`ve spent quite some time in this thread looking for clues but not found a solution as yet.

Has anyone else had this problem and come up with a practical fix?

Alan W
Alan,

I had similar issues with it taking ages to rotate. I packed the nose gear with a Popsicle stick spacer and that worked quite well.

Darren
013531 is offline Find More Posts by 013531
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:15 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jan 2010
121 Posts
Replacing the nose gear

Hi Guys,

I am missing something obvious here. I have read the whole thread and ordered the nose retract with the metal trunnion to replace the one in the Trojan.

I have managed to remove the nose retract mechansim and nose wheel from the plane but I can't for the life of me figure out how you get the wire nose gear leg out of the plastic trunnion and into the metal one.

I have taken the replacement retract assembly apart and cannot see how the gear leg is locked in place (unless it is some kind of force fit??)

Lots of people who have posted to this thread have managed it successfully so clearly I am missing something obvious.

The replacement retract I ordered is at:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23478

and is Hobbyking part number:HK-15094M

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.
MikeRobey42 is offline Find More Posts by MikeRobey42
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:28 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Mike - you should find a cir-clip on the top of the leg after it passes completely through the trunnion. That has to be removed of course.

Unfortunately, the metal trunnion (... or at least the one I used) didn't have exactly the same geometry as the plastic one and some parts had to be re-shaped with a grinding disc in a Dremel - I guess you'll have already seen those discussions within this thread.

Get back here if it's still not behaving.
Steve
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:36 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jan 2010
121 Posts
Quote:
Mike - you should find a cir-clip on the top of the leg after it passes completely through the trunnion. That has to be removed of course.

Unfortunately, the metal trunnion (... or at least the one I used) didn't have exactly the same geometry as the plastic one and some parts had to be re-shaped with a grinding disc in a Dremel - I guess you'll have already seen those discussions within this thread.

Get back here if it's still not behaving.
Steve
Thanks Steve, I guess I should have taken the Trojan retract apart first. I'll have a look and see how it all goes. Once again thanks.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:44 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Oh yeh, you'll need to remove the four tiny screws which hold the assembly together - and be careful doing that too, because there's the little brushed motor and its controller board along with some driving gears, the main worm drive and the travelling bar too - lots of fiddly bits to ensure you need to keep track of.
Have fun mate and don't use up all your swear words too early!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:50 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jan 2010
121 Posts
Quote:
Oh yeh, you'll need to remove the four tiny screws which hold the assembly together - and be careful doing that too, because there's the little brushed motor and its controller board along with some driving gears, the main worm drive and the travelling bar too - lots of fiddly bits to ensure you need to keep track of.
Have fun mate and don't use up all your swear words too early!
Thanks Steve,

I agree its a real pain in the you know what.

However its all done. The leg slipped into the new retract mechanisn and fit fine.

Now I just have to grind the collet thing so it will retract all the way.

Once again, help much appreciated
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:08 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 013531 View Post
I know that with mine sometimes the rear edge of the cowl sips back and fowls the gear doors, only slightly, but just enough to hang them sometimes. Might be worth checking.

Darren
Sorry Darren - just noticed your post now :P Thanks for the suggestion and I'll have a look at that as a possibility. I think it's probably more likely in my case though, that I've ballsed-up the trunnion upgrade somehow, since the traveller on the worm-drive seems to be completely jammed. I thought about pulling it all apart on Saturday night, but it was late and I didn't have the will. Probably won't get to deal with this for another couple of weekends as I've got other commitments