SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 04, 2012, 06:41 AM
The land down under
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2010
569 Posts
Another Durafly 1100mm for me...it is as every bit as good as the P47. I received mine yesterday & was built all within a couple of hours. The only time I referred to the manual was for the CG point. A couple of small things they have improved upon is individual labeled bags for the aileron & flap control rods etc.
To keep it brief,
I maidened mine this morning & am very pleased with the T-28....It will stall as done up high to test prior to my first landing. Inverted flight was nice with only a touch down required for level flight, loops are great either open or tight, rolls are brilliant (80% rates on ailerons), also performed a couple of hammerheads & was pleased with the result, long low passes look just brilliant.

Once I understood the stall with this Trojan I decided to land with flaps as they work well with the P47, my maiden landing went very well without a hint of wing rock & kept a very level wing.
simo71 is offline Find More Posts by simo71
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2012, 08:09 AM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,429 Posts
How do the retracts seem so far?
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Jan 04, 2012, 02:15 PM
The land down under
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2010
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
How do the retracts seem so far?
They are holding up well (after two flights), I have still not had any problems with the P47 ones apart from a slightly bent strut thanks to a harder landing. So I'd expect these to hold up well.

The T-28 rolls a lot easier thanks to the tricycle under carriage, with the P47 & being a tail dragger they tend to be pigeoned toed a bit.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 09:06 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Aug 2011
158 Posts
just hit the buy button.
chops3 is offline Find More Posts by chops3
Old Jan 05, 2012, 03:52 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Simo - have you flown the Parkzone T-28 before? - if so, can you give us a quick comparison?
Cheers,
Steve
yarrumevets is offline Find More Posts by yarrumevets
Old Jan 05, 2012, 04:19 AM
The land down under
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2010
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrumevets View Post
Simo - have you flown the Parkzone T-28 before? - if so, can you give us a quick comparison?
Cheers,
Steve
Yes I have, not mine but I have maidened a friends & have flown it a few times. I would describe the the Parkzone as being easier to fly then the durafly one as it will glide off power due to being more floatier, where as you need to fly the Durafly more on landing approach. It's not a massive difference & both fly brilliant...I'd suspect that the Durafly perhaps flies more to scale.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 04:56 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Thanks mate - that's pretty much just as I expected because both are about the same size, but the Durafly one is heavier, so has a higher wing-loading.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 05:03 AM
Joined Aug 2011
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simo71 View Post
They are holding up well (after two flights), I have still not had any problems with the P47 ones apart from a slightly bent strut thanks to a harder landing. So I'd expect these to hold up well.

The T-28 rolls a lot easier thanks to the tricycle under carriage, with the P47 & being a tail dragger they tend to be pigeoned toed a bit.
what sort of runway do you have?
do you think the retracts will hold up to landing on grass?
still waiting for mine to leave HK. they are really slow at the moment.
jim350 is offline Find More Posts by jim350
Old Jan 05, 2012, 08:40 AM
Perth, WA
Joined Jul 2006
459 Posts
Well I now have 4 T-28s!, UMX PZ T-28, PZ T-28D, Durafly T-28 and the FMS T-28...

Shame I don't have time to fly for weeks maybe months at this stage but they sure look pretty!
Same is offline Find More Posts by Same
Old Jan 05, 2012, 12:59 PM
The land down under
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2010
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim350 View Post
what sort of runway do you have?
do you think the retracts will hold up to landing on grass?
still waiting for mine to leave HK. they are really slow at the moment.
I fly off grass which is normally mowed, however when I flew the other day it had not been cut for a good 2 weeks or so. The prop was cutting any grass that laid in front of it, not lots but enough to hear it.

Landing on the grass were no issue either...I was surprised & flying off grass was a concern for me also with the T-28, i was very pleased that it handled it
Old Jan 05, 2012, 06:27 PM
Adelaide Australia
Joined Apr 2010
552 Posts
Maybe a hint of what's coming Phoenix racing... just a tease maybe...
I personally like the T28 just because of it's versatility but sometimes to establish yourself you need to step out side of the square...
J-ACE is offline Find More Posts by J-ACE
Old Jan 06, 2012, 07:28 AM
Angry Bird ...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
861 Posts
Just completed assembling my Trojan - the fit and quality of the parts is excellent. The tailplane was rock-solid and even though the four 60mm bolts seemed a bit of overkill as fasteners for the wing, it was all solid once together (unlike my PZ T-28D which always has a case of wobbly-wing, no matter how tight the single fixing bolt is tightened).
Only a couple of small issues - it's important that the screws which are used to fix the control horns are always slid in through the backplates first, then through the control surface and finally into the horn. Don't try and thread the screws in from the horn side. I got mine all assembled (using experience and hindsight to make the correct channel connections to the receiver, as there was nothing useful in the included documentation) only to discover the starboard aileron wasn't responding. Some close re-checking uncovered the fact that the brown servo wire had come out of the three-way servo plug. I had to get a pointed instrument and push it back into the plug so that it clicked into place. I'll probably have to check all the others in good light tomorrow.
The last thing, which is a bit of a nuisance was that even without putting the propeller on the motor and testing that, I could feel the ESC getting hot just from powering up the lights and the servos! It's rated at 35A from what I can tell from the label on it, but perhaps the BEC on this unit was a little marginal? - in any case, I've decided not to maiden it tomorrow and I'll replace the ESC with another slightly up-rated item I have handy. The stock unit might be alright, but I'd prefer not to risk it.
The retracts performed flawlessly though, and seem to be quite solid - I guess we'll see ...
Old Jan 06, 2012, 07:46 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-ACE View Post
Maybe a hint of what's coming Phoenix racing... just a tease maybe...
I personally like the T28 just because of it's versatility but sometimes to establish yourself you need to step out side of the square...
You know what's coming! This month it's the Durafly Lancaster & Vampire...although I am testing a very nice 1100mm Skyraider at the mo....
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Old Jan 06, 2012, 08:25 AM
Adelaide Australia
Joined Apr 2010
552 Posts
Very nice thankyou
J-ACE is offline Find More Posts by J-ACE
Old Jan 06, 2012, 01:14 PM
The land down under
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2010
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrumevets View Post
Just completed assembling my Trojan - the fit and quality of the parts is excellent. The tailplane was rock-solid and even though the four 60mm bolts seemed a bit of overkill as fasteners for the wing, it was all solid once together (unlike my PZ T-28D which always has a case of wobbly-wing, no matter how tight the single fixing bolt is tightened).
Only a couple of small issues - it's important that the screws which are used to fix the control horns are always slid in through the backplates first, then through the control surface and finally into the horn. Don't try and thread the screws in from the horn side. I got mine all assembled (using experience and hindsight to make the correct channel connections to the receiver, as there was nothing useful in the included documentation) only to discover the starboard aileron wasn't responding. Some close re-checking uncovered the fact that the brown servo wire had come out of the three-way servo plug. I had to get a pointed instrument and push it back into the plug so that it clicked into place. I'll probably have to check all the others in good light tomorrow.
The last thing, which is a bit of a nuisance was that even without putting the propeller on the motor and testing that, I could feel the ESC getting hot just from powering up the lights and the servos! It's rated at 35A from what I can tell from the label on it, but perhaps the BEC on this unit was a little marginal? - in any case, I've decided not to maiden it tomorrow and I'll replace the ESC with another slightly up-rated item I have handy. The stock unit might be alright, but I'd prefer not to risk it.
The retracts performed flawlessly though, and seem to be quite solid - I guess we'll see ...
You know I thought the same thing in relation to the ESC but have had no issue with the one in the P47 & have now flown the T-28 four times without issue.