HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:48 AM
Austin, TX.
Joined Feb 2008
155 Posts
Taking a step off the beaten path...

Hey Guys,

I have one of these to which recently came in. I started thinking about it being a "Foamie", so I looked in strengthening her up some. On the Killerplanes site, they call it "Crash Proofing". I watched the vids of the guys and thier mishaps and what you gain by doing this to your plane. They didn't have one exactly for the Durafly, but the had a kit for the Dynam, and since it was pretty close I just went ahead and ordered it. What you get in thier kit is a series of precut carbon rods, and a set of instructions on how and where they recommend putting them in. So since they are carbon, and I am using thier instructions as a "guide", due to the differences with the construction, I can just cut down the rods to make it work for the Durafly. I have been writting down the lengths of what I am using and where the rod will actually go in relation to the Durafy design.

The main point I guess that I getting at is, there is a away to attempt to save your "foamie" from damage. It will help, but it won't cure.

After seeing the T-28 in person, I just thought I'd like to keep her nice. I have been very impressed thus far with her.

I have no affliation with the makers of the crash proofing kit, I am just a regular guy who bought one, and am making it work.. Just thought I'd like to share it with you all , in case you didn't know such a thing existed.

JC
Austin, Tx
J_Cunny is offline Find More Posts by J_Cunny
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:55 AM
Indonesia
Joined Feb 2012
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim350 View Post
Im my opinion the metal trunnion is better
The problem with metal trunnion are in the picts, how you manage it ?
Azka Anindya is offline Find More Posts by Azka Anindya
Last edited by Azka Anindya; Feb 23, 2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Jun 2008
274 Posts
more on retracts

I'm having the same problem with the metal trunnion replacement for the nose gear. It is a problem because the hole for the strut is positioned higher on the plastic strut than it is for the metal strut, and if you try to use the original collar it will not allow the strut to go all the way down.....I suppose a collar that was smaller in diameter might work if you can find one. I'm still trying to figure something out......
aclinml is offline Find More Posts by aclinml
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:04 PM
Joined Aug 2011
807 Posts
Look at the pictures in post #147
All you need to do is grind/ file a flat in the collar. Do it on the opposite sfe of the grub screw and you won't have any problems
jim350 is offline Find More Posts by jim350
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:54 AM
Indonesia
Joined Feb 2012
62 Posts
After stop collar and steerable arm filed/grind, is not to thin or still strong enough ?

Cheers
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:45 AM
Joined Feb 2012
7 Posts
Still strong enough
Bloke330 is offline Find More Posts by Bloke330
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:13 AM
Indonesia
Joined Feb 2012
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloke330 View Post
Still strong enough
Thanks bloke. Today my maiden flight, very beautiful and forgiving plane. More than 10 times landing without flaps on grass with stock retract no problem.

I tried to grind but seem the stop collar will be too thin, so maybe I will use larger retract

Cheers

Azka Trojan maiden flight (1 min 15 sec)

Azka T28 Trojan 7th landing in maiden flight (0 min 17 sec)
Last edited by Azka Anindya; Feb 25, 2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 05:46 PM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Dec 2011
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloke330 View Post
As per JIM350 advice, I seemed to have fixed the nosewheel.
Using http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id/2525
The metal trunnion itself fits perfectly. Filing only required to ensure retract system works correctly. Below are some pics.
Thank you for the info on how to fix the crappy front landing gear. Mine broke on my first landing. Landing was perfect, just went into some dirt and it snapped. I will be back in the air with it tomorrow.
XSSSIVE is offline Find More Posts by XSSSIVE
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:05 PM
Indonesia
Joined Feb 2012
62 Posts
haaa ... cross my finger the stock front landing gear survive today flight
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:31 PM
Bathurst, NSW, Oztralia
Joined Mar 2011
230 Posts
Flight Report

Hi guys,
The Durafly T-28 is my fourth plane, but the first that wasn't a belly lander, and biggest by 30cm. To say I was nervous would be an understatement!!
I have spent about 2-3hrs on Phoenix flight sim practicing landings on the PZ T-28 with the weight tweaked to 1200 grams to be more like the Durafly.

With the Turnigy 35C 2200mah 3s battery and a CG @72mm she was very nose heavy with the battery fully forward. I cut out the two bumps at the back of the tray and moved the battery back approx 50mm to get her just slightly nose heavy. The battery is secured with velcro.
I have all surfaces on the middle hole of the control horn.
Take off took a little longer than I was expecting so I just gunned it with a little elevator and she took off no probs at all. Not a huge amount of prop clearance on a freshly mowed grass strip.I took her up and trimmed her out and spent the next 6 mins on low rates (75% with 20% expo). No rolls or loops, just getting a feel for her.
Landing was uneventful, she slowed down to nice pace without the flaps deployed, and she came in nice and level for a 3 point landing. Beautiful!!

I inspected the stock nose gear and no problems that I could see. I do have the metal trunnions just in case though. I also mechanically tweaked the trim.
Second flight was just as uneventful, though I deployed the flaps as a trial, and decided to use them on landing. She ballooned up a little so I think I will mix in some down elevator for the next flight. Completed several loops no problems, flicked over to high rates for some rolls and was surprised with an ok roll rate. Might move to the inner most holes though.
Second landing was like the first, though even slower with the flaps deployed.

I am stoked with this plane, and she good some pretty high praise at the club, all were impressed with her and couldn't believe the price either. if she is stocked at the Aussie warehouse I am sure there will be others at the club with one.
rooni79 is offline Find More Posts by rooni79
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:19 PM
Indonesia
Joined Feb 2012
62 Posts
before flight this morning, found little bit bending at front wheel arm due bumping during take of and landing yesterday, be ready to change with coil arm. Should try land with full flaps today, hopely slow down the landing
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:38 PM
Bathurst, NSW, Oztralia
Joined Mar 2011
230 Posts
So the MAS 10x5 3 blade prop turned up this morning. It looks to be a perfect match but it does NOT fit on the stock spinner. So we will need to find another way to screw it down. Any ideas?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:26 AM
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
T28 Durafly - Nose gear

Hi there,

This is a mini video for my maiden flight T28.

I would kile to say "THANKS" to Jim 350 who help me for to change my trunnion on post #114 p.8.

The solution to change the original plastictrunnion by a metal one works perfecly. Philip, the seller on this site is very professional guy ! http://www.pw-rc.com/

At this day, i have no news from HK, ask to help me and declare a complaint. I received my T28 with a broken plastic trunnion !

So, i made this video for all fans of this forum :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu5bMKAhYrc

Thanks all, sorry for this grey sky.... Paris is like this....

Serge
ribeiroda is offline Find More Posts by ribeiroda
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:57 AM
Bathurst, NSW, Oztralia
Joined Mar 2011
230 Posts
Sweet flying Serge!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 05:04 AM
United States, DE, Dover
Joined Oct 2011
381 Posts
Great Video Serge! Finally!!! Someone who knows how to properly land a T-28 instead of dropping her down out of the clouds and forcing it.... Yes you 87 percent of you knuckleheads!!! Hehe
Smoothcruizer3 is offline Find More Posts by Smoothcruizer3