HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2003, 01:57 AM
led
Broomfield, CO USA
Joined Sep 2001
281 Posts
Thanks for this forum!

A sincere thanks to all the people who have contributed info on the proper use of lithium batteries.

I'm still using my cache of qualcomm li-ion's that I got a while back, and very possibly could have started a fire and either injured myself or burned down the house had I not read all the info here.

Qualcomm tip #1:

A 2-cell pack can be overcharged *EVEN IF USING THE PC BOARD*. I didn't think this would happen but putting it on my Orbit v6.1 through the PC board at 500mah starting current, when the charge ended once cell was over 4.2V! Anyone else have this happen or is my voltmeter way off?

Qualcomm tip #2:

A 3-cell pack of Qualcomm's ( without the PC board ) needs to have the cells matched *very closely* otherwise if you recharge all three cells in series you are going to overcharge at least one cell and maybe two.
I did this to two packs without knowing it and had three cells that were ~ 4.4V or 4.5V!
I didn't waste time and put them all in a glass jar and took them to the local fire department -
No sense in tempting fate here.
Now I charge the 3-cell packs one cell at a time, and in a pyrex container as well.

You guys are great, the experience and advice here goes beyond saving $$.

-pd
led is offline Find More Posts by led
to remove ads between posts