SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:07 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,822 Posts
Alert
Applebee’s is offering an early Christmas present to its employees.

The restaurant Applebee’s just gave their employees an unforgettable Christmas present, if you have a visible tattoo even if it can be covered you have just received your 30 day notice. What an amazing stance for your neighborhood bar and grill.

For the record I have a horse in this race and for better or worse after four years working for Applebee’s she deserves better.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:32 PM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcal View Post
The restaurant Applebee’s just gave their employees an unforgettable Christmas present, if you have a visible tattoo even if it can be covered you have just received your 30 day notice. What an amazing stance for your neighborhood bar and grill.

For the record I have a horse in this race and for better or worse after four years working for Applebee’s she deserves better.
Wow!! That SUCKS!!! Being a colored person myself, I find that totally rediculous. I wonder if their can be a law suit against them. It would seem like they would have to make the change as far as hiring new employees. What a bunch of PC BS!!
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:39 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,506 Posts
Thats a load of crap. If an employee is performing their job up to the standards set by the company tattoos should have no impact on their employment. The wife and I would both get the boot.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:39 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,664 Posts
Doesn't the mindset which holds that corporations will "do the right thing" and legislation to protect the rights of employees has no place in a commercial organisation, support exactly this sort of capricious action?

Maybe those folks need a Union?
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:46 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
317 Posts
Stupid, stupid, stupid...and The Girl and I aren't even fond of ink! What will employers forbid next?

Many years ago, I applied at a local dept store, known for servicing the "carriage trade." They told me I'd have to shave my beard to work there...this after working in men's sportswear in another store. Well, Halle Bros. no longer exists, but the chain that hired me does.
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:47 PM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
Thats a load of crap. If an employee is performing their job up to the standards set by the company tattoos should have no impact on their employment. The wife and I would both get the boot.
Our local Applebees is a completey disfunctional as it is. It's been that way for years. No one works there very long anyway. Maybe the others are different. In order for a chain restaurant to complete with the locally owned ones, they REALLY have to be on the ball. About the only chain restaurant we go to is Carrabbas and they do one hell of business and for a good reason.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:54 PM
Native American
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
I am sure they will have their sued off by some organization.
BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:55 PM
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO
Joined Sep 2007
688 Posts
The sad fact for those folks is that tattoos still aren't mainstream and a lot of folks still think of inked people as seedy, right or wrong. Applebee's is well within their rights to set standards for folks who represent their business, although I think if the ink can be covered by a shirt they shouldn't loose their job.

Personally, I think Applebee's sucks and haven't eaten there for years. I would probably stop patronizing their restaurants for this though if I hadn't already done so.
n00b-E is offline Find More Posts by n00b-E
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:56 PM
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO
Joined Sep 2007
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot View Post
I am sure they will have their sued off by some organization.
On what grounds?
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:58 PM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b-E View Post
On what grounds?
RACISM!! Hatin color.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:59 PM
Native American
Joined May 2010
429 Posts
Quote:
On what grounds?
Good question. I really don't know but I am never surprised these days when companies are not allowed to do business as they see fit.
BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:59 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,664 Posts
Quote:
On what grounds?
Unfair dismissal might be worth a punt if someone has been satisfactorily employed for a number of years, with a tattoo, and is now being laid off, purely on the basis of having that tattoo. It would presumably depend on their contract of employment.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Dec 18, 2011, 04:02 PM
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO
Joined Sep 2007
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
Unfair dismissal might be worth a punt if someone has been satisfactorily employed for a number of years, with a tattoo, and is now being laid off, purely on the basis of having that tattoo. It would presumably depend on their contract of employment.
That might be worth a shot, as long as it's not a "right to work" state. Colorado is right to work, so they can be dismissed for ink if the company changes policy.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 04:05 PM
Registered Broncos Fan!
United States, CO
Joined Sep 2007
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Knifemaker View Post
RACISM!! Hatin color.
Most folks get inked to express their individuality. I wonder what they think about their individuality when it puts them out of work.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 04:06 PM
Joined Dec 2011
0 Posts
The handbook states "Tattoos may not be visible to the guest and when possible must be covered up by a shirt. No long sleeve shirts are allowed."

No where in this handbook does it say that you cannot cover them up with makeup, band aids, jewelry.

They have given a 30-day termination notice to anyone who has a tattoo that cannot be covered by a 3/4 sleeve shirt. They also said that no tattoos may be covered with makeup, band aids, jewelry. (Not stated in handbook.)

So, what if you were hired with VISIBLE tattoos on your wrists and have been employed for almost 4 years?

Grounds for lawsuit?
llandn123 is offline Find More Posts by llandn123