MaHö is offline Find More Posts by MaHö
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:33 AM
Guernsey
Joined Jan 2002
1,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalgra View Post
It is such a beautiful aircraft that is so anonymous.
Perhaps the Fury is anonymous because it never went to war?

The little Fury had another outing today and at times I was craving more power. It is time to replace noseweight with a 3rd cell

I'm slowly getting more comfortable about using the kp24 on 3 cells but there will be no ground running and plenty of throttle use. The Turnigy 1015 has the benfit of full cooling as the kp24 only has a facplate, none of the casing is covered by plastic.......................this must help to keep things cool?

Steve
stegla is offline Find More Posts by stegla
Old Jan 17, 2012, 01:12 PM
'Sit vis nobiscum'
United States, KY, Union
Joined Jun 2008
308 Posts
Sweet little jet!

Nice Job!

Matt
PEDANTIC is offline Find More Posts by PEDANTIC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:46 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,199 Posts
Steve, I remember I drilled cooling holes in the end caps of my 1015 and it dropped the running temp significantly.

NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:44 PM
Orange, CA
Joined Jun 2007
165 Posts
pdawg and turbonut,
You are both correct. Took my day off yesterday and paid a visit to Yanks. I was already at the airport and since this thread started, I have become very interested in the Fury, so I had to see it in person. The museum claims to maintain their aircraft in airworthy condition, (which most are) but the Fury seemed to be just shy of flying. It was missing its' wingtips and a large panel on the belly of the aircraft. All the plumbing and electrical are in better shape than some of the planes I have flown. Also, its' air intake and exhaust openings were covered which led me to believe the engine was intact. This aircraft has only a total of 257 flight hours, so I'm holding out hope that they will make it airworthy and we may soon see it fly at the Chino airshow. I would be there in a flash!
cbalgra is offline Find More Posts by cbalgra
Old Jan 17, 2012, 06:10 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,511 Posts
Thanks for the pics cablegra. They really show how well Stegla did in terms of the scale fidelity of his micro fury.
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:11 AM
Guernsey
Joined Jan 2002
1,297 Posts
Indeed, many thanks for the pics cbalgra.

My model has true scale outlines but the nose is a little out of shape now after a repair and also the fuselage would have benefitted from some decent cross-sections.

An airworthy FJ-1 would be incredible! That would really get the aeroplane some well deserved attention.

Steve
Old Jan 29, 2012, 05:10 PM
Guernsey
Joined Jan 2002
1,297 Posts
Flew the Fury this weekend on 3 cells...............no shortage of power

Steve
Old Jan 29, 2012, 05:30 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
GREAT Job!!!....The outline kinda reminds me of a BearCat without the prop...Again, great job!!!

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:29 AM
Guernsey
Joined Jan 2002
1,297 Posts
Just a quick update.

The Powertrain has been upgraded with an Eflight edf motor and a 12A esc. I'm still using the kp24 fan and a 3s 240 pack. The fan was dynamically balanced using Nitro's sticky-tape trick.

The little Fury now has almost unlimited vertical performance...........just wish there was a rudder to keep things tidy.

Steve
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:53 AM
Guernsey
Joined Jan 2002
1,297 Posts
I've been investigating the forward cg anomily that I had with this model, namely, it had to balance on the leading-edge to fly nicely

It seems that the problem all along has been that the model is very sensitive in pitch................ that I confused for tail-heaviness.

The elevator throws have been reduced considerably and plenty of expo was introduced, this has allowed the model to fly with a more sensible cg position. However, the cg position still needs to be way forward, probably due to the smallness of the model

The model itself is still joy to fly and punches well above it's weight

Steve
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:59 AM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,511 Posts
How Sharp is your LE Steve? A sharp LE can really mess up a perfectly good airplane. I once had a very snappy test flight on an Electrolyte. After rounding the LE (at the field) the 2nd flight felt like a completely different, well behaved model.
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:49 AM
Guernsey
Joined Jan 2002
1,297 Posts
The front of the Jedelski wing is made from 3/16 balsa. Once the wing was carved to shape the le became 1/8" thick then the le was sanded to a round.

A similar wing on my 32mm Gnat (RIP, must make another) behaved well.

Nevertheless, a 1/8" le could be considered sharp! so maybe?

Steve
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:13 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,039 Posts
theres a coupel factors playing in here, the first beeing, this is a relatively tiny model, they like the cg fwd, on top of that, youve got that big fat fuse, and it toys with the cg a little. 1/8" raious le should be sufficient
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jun 07, 2013, 06:49 PM
Joined Jun 2013
1 Posts
What plans or drawings did you base the FJ-1 on?

Thanks,
Scott
xscott is offline Find More Posts by xscott