SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:00 AM
no no no, a music gig
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,605 Posts
Discussion
Wrong Side of the Circle, Is Jesus's Birth Also His Death ?

I need to get a bit going on this. Every year, people go in their lives with a little bit of thought about what Jesus taught us. It runs a somewhat steady pace through the months then picks up a bit in November, then becomes the main focus until December 25, His birthday. Then thoughts of his lessons drop in measure of focus for some, and all but disappear until next November.

His birthday should spark the increase in focus, not the it's over now back to the nasty stuff. We are on the wrong side of the circle. Actually, the year should be an upward spiral of time, not a flat circle repeating it's self. A thought I learned and was inspired to spread.

I am working constantly on my faults, it is not over December 25.
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:31 AM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
1,958 Posts
Seems with a certain religion you can go to Church on Sunday and sin again on Monday. Come Sunday you clean the slate and start again. Always thought that was odd. I believe it's what you do and how you live everyday that counts. Nobody's perfect but at least try.
Even in my Church there are some who's shadow only darken the door twice a year but at least they haven't totally forgot what the holiday is about.
All in all, I would rather someone work everyday on being a good person and never set foot in a Church rather than the folks who only see the light once or twice a year.
flyinwalenda is offline Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:09 AM
no no no, a music gig
Joined Sep 2006
8,605 Posts
I'm thinking back to when I first started here at RCG. I was very profane but have at least gradually decreased in it. I am not able to completely stop all at once, it causes too much pressure on me. But I keep chipping at it.

And I saw this machine sometime then, I thought it was a silly machine that has no purpose, the Octapult. Study the mechanism and see if it actually IS useless.

The Octapult (2 min 35 sec)
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:39 AM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
The video reminds me of one of my pinball machines.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:49 AM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
I'm not much interested in Christmas. Dec 25th isn't even close to Jesus's actual birthday. The 25th is just a made-up holiday that was chosen for its socio-political convenience. Now it's not even about Jesus anymore; it's just a celebration of shopping/mass consumerism--the new religion of the unconscious masses pushed by the high priests of capitalism.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:53 PM
no no no, a music gig
Joined Sep 2006
8,605 Posts
At least as I write, I am listening to a National Geographic tv show about how Sodom and Gomorrah exploded. Not on the nail but hammering on the board.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 01:56 PM
texas
Joined Oct 2003
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop View Post
I need to get a bit going on this. Every year, people go in their lives with a little bit of thought about what Jesus taught us. It runs a somewhat steady pace through the months then picks up a bit in November, then becomes the main focus until December 25, His birthday. Then thoughts of his lessons drop in measure of focus for some, and all but disappear until next November.

His birthday should spark the increase in focus, not the it's over now back to the nasty stuff. We are on the wrong side of the circle. Actually, the year should be an upward spiral of time, not a flat circle repeating it's self. A thought I learned and was inspired to spread.

I am working constantly on my faults, it is not over December 25.
I think the focal point of Christ is His resurrection. Sure He had to be born in order to die for all of us and all that, but had He not risen from the dead Christianity would be meaningless.
steelfaith1 is offline Find More Posts by steelfaith1
Old Dec 18, 2011, 02:00 PM
texas
Joined Oct 2003
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
Seems with a certain religion you can go to Church on Sunday and sin again on Monday. Come Sunday you clean the slate and start again. Always thought that was odd. I believe it's what you do and how you live everyday that counts. Nobody's perfect but at least try.
Even in my Church there are some who's shadow only darken the door twice a year but at least they haven't totally forgot what the holiday is about.
All in all, I would rather someone work everyday on being a good person and never set foot in a Church rather than the folks who only see the light once or twice a year.
Well, that is odd. We sin every day, we are corrected, brushed off, and sent on our way. The Apostle Paul says he went thru the same thing every day, but thanks to the Lord Jesus he was able to stay in the Faith and to also grow in Christ daily. Kinda like 2 steps forward and 1 step back. We will never be perfect down here while in these bodies of flesh. The more we feed our spiritual side which was made alive in Christ, the happier we will be as Christians.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 02:06 PM
texas
Joined Oct 2003
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
I'm not much interested in Christmas. Dec 25th isn't even close to Jesus's actual birthday. The 25th is just a made-up holiday that was chosen for its socio-political convenience. Now it's not even about Jesus anymore; it's just a celebration of shopping/mass consumerism--the new religion of the unconscious masses pushed by the high priests of capitalism.
About the only clue is "shepherds in the field"....which they would not be tending sheep this time of year in Israel. Some suggest Fall because of the Jewish Feast of Tabernacles...."God dwelled among us"
Some would say the Spring, but nobody knows and it was convenient at the time like you said so as to incorporate the Gentiles.

Lots of ornaments at most stores of santa, elfs, deer, and angels. Those things don't bother people and everybody likes a good excuse to go shopping.
Throw God in a manger and most people get uncomfortable with something they do have to deal with.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 02:14 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfaith1 View Post
I think the focal point of Christ is His resurrection. Sure He had to be born in order to die for all of us and all that, but had He not risen from the dead Christianity would be meaningless.
Not much of a sacrifice if he was only "dead" for three days.

Now, if he'd managed work 9-to-5 for forty years without shaving his head and climbing a tower while carrying a scoped rifle...
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Dec 18, 2011, 02:26 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Not much of a sacrifice if he was only "dead" for three days.

Now, if he'd managed work 9-to-5 for forty years without shaving his head and climbing a tower while carrying a scoped rifle...
If you ever come to know Him as Lord and Savior......those words you just recorded will have an entirely different effect on you.
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Dec 18, 2011, 02:54 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ View Post
If you ever come to know Him as Lord and Savior......those words you just recorded will have an entirely different effect on you.
If it should turn out that my take on things is fundamentally wrong, I'll do my darndest to rip out his Lordship's oesophagus. "Here's for all the pointless violence, unimaginable suffering, and utter unfairness of your 'design'".

Such pleasing contemplation aside, "dead" is not really "DEAD" if it only lasts three days, is it? A "noble" sacrifice is generally considered a mark of character only when the giver can have no reasonable expectation of recovering whatever it is they've lost - a situation which hardly holds true for an omniscient deity who presumably knew full well that his confinement in a musty coffin would be very temporary.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Dec 18, 2011, 02:54 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,172 Posts
Many Christians regard Easter as the most important religious holiday. So far as sheep in the field goes, if you make your living from livestock, they demand your attention every day, year around.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Dec 18, 2011, 04:33 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson View Post
Many Christians regard Easter as the most important religious holiday. So far as sheep in the field goes, if you make your living from livestock, they demand your attention every day, year around.
True, you will find sheep in the fields this time of year in Israel. I blame HCGW
madsci_guy is online now Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Dec 18, 2011, 04:40 PM
no no no, a music gig
Joined Sep 2006
8,605 Posts
I as of lately, after lots of thinking about why God made this all so "unfair" is because the things we do wrong to so many people is unfair. Eye for Eye is not as effective at delivering an understanding of unfairness as the surprize effect of the unfair things done to each individual.

Fairness was always on my thoughts but more focused after a run of unpleasant times I passed through.