HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2011, 09:37 AM
United States, IN, Lebanon
Joined Oct 2011
379 Posts
Discussion
What is the best FPV camera?

Iv done a lot of looking around an so many claim this an that as the best. I am looking for Hero 2 picture quality for hd recording (I know that my fatshark goggles will not be HD, just need the recorded video to be) So, what is the best?
schusterjo is offline Find More Posts by schusterjo
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2011, 09:38 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
if you want hero 2 picture qaulity.....buy a hero 2
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:14 AM
Joined Oct 2011
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete View Post
if you want hero 2 picture qaulity.....buy a hero 2
Well ha ha guess you can take it that way if you like but kinda was looking for a more intellectual response then that. Yes a hero 2 has great picture quality but its big, its heavy an also known to give FPV pilots some trouble with lines in the picture. Personally if there is other cams that have just as good quality or better with less hassle then i would want to look into them then just choose a hero 2...
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:27 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schusterjo View Post
Personally if there is other cams that have just as good quality or better with less hassle then i would want to look into them then just choose a hero 2...
There is not.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:29 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schusterjo View Post
Well ha ha guess you can take it that way if you like but kinda was looking for a more intellectual response then that. Yes a hero 2 has great picture quality but its big, its heavy an also known to give FPV pilots some trouble with lines in the picture. Personally if there is other cams that have just as good quality or better with less hassle then i would want to look into them then just choose a hero 2...
lol, just saying man, if you want gopro qaulity, buy the gopro

there really isn't anything cheaper that does the same quality footage. The contour is good but it's roughly the same price depending on model.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 01:14 PM
Joined Oct 2011
379 Posts
Ok then... I guess I will be going for a gopro hero 2...
Thanks
Old Dec 18, 2011, 01:20 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
trust me, you won't be sad
Old Dec 18, 2011, 02:41 PM
FPV
United States, MA, Sandwich
Joined Dec 2010
63 Posts
A lot of people fly with gopro for recording and a separate camera for live video. That way if you dont like the live video of gopro, you can still have beautiful recordings and a camera more suitable for fpv, but not as high quality.

It's a matter of preference really.
atopcu is offline Find More Posts by atopcu
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:25 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
^that's true, i've never really had a problem with the live out on my gopro, but i fly quads....
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:39 PM
Nek
DIY O.G.
French Polynesia, Windward Islands, Faaa
Joined Nov 2002
313 Posts
Also flying multis and really like the wide angle view I get from the GoPro.

I tried regular security cams but the fov was way too narrow. I am waiting on some wide lenses to give them another try.

I also like the fact that with the GoPro I can have a single camera on board, hence a bit of weight savings and simplicity.

Now I am flying a LOT over water and the GoPro HD2 is the single most expensive part on board by a long shot... So I really want to keep it in the watertight housing.

Here is something I want to try, would like you guys opinion:

On the GoPro forums I wound this post that gives out the pinout of the GoPro extension plug. Looks like with a couple wires and a 75Ω resistor you can get composite out via that plug. Now using the larger back latch from the LCD extension you could have the video and ground cables exit out the back from a hole. Is hot glue a good way to make that hole water tight? How bad would a short be on the video cables? Is adding a fuse in there a solution?

You can also have the USB charge inputs from that extension bus so the GoPro could also be charging in flight, just know that it can pull 1A and again, the shorting issue..
Nek is offline Find More Posts by Nek
Old Dec 18, 2011, 06:29 PM
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Joined May 2004
234 Posts
A friend told me Hero is coming out with a remote control that also has a video Bluetooth out from the GoPro 2. Presumably this would allow you to RF video out of the waterproof case.

Cheers!

SLCPilot
SLCPilot is offline Find More Posts by SLCPilot
Old Dec 18, 2011, 07:07 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPilot View Post
A friend told me Hero is coming out with a remote control that also has a video Bluetooth out from the GoPro 2. Presumably this would allow you to RF video out of the waterproof case.

Cheers!

SLCPilot
Probably with significant delay though as it's bound to be digitally encoded and compressed.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2011, 09:37 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,966 Posts
with power output of 1-100mw and very little bandwidth to start with.
ima go on record as saying itll be useless for FPV. less FPV means 20 feet.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Dec 18, 2011, 09:46 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,247 Posts
Amazon has the Contour Roam on for $89 - with the code 89roam89, while supplies last. It might not be a hero2, but its pretty good and for the price - it wins hands down.

PS - I presume you mean to record flights with.
idletime is online now Find More Posts by idletime
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:41 PM
FPV
United States, MA, Sandwich
Joined Dec 2010
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toysrme View Post
with power output of 1-100mw and very little bandwidth to start with.
ima go on record as saying itll be useless for FPV. less FPV means 20 feet.
Well there could be a bluetooth receiver on the plane with an RCA output. That way gopro stays completely waterproof.
But as Ian mentioned, the delay will make it pretty much useless for FPV.
atopcu is offline Find More Posts by atopcu