HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2011, 07:51 AM
Keep building, buying,fly
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,618 Posts
Discussion
Cone On Horizon That aint BNF

I have just ordered the new BNF Beast in the UK and it claims to be Bind and Fly well it doesn't include a battery or a charger. Now I know if you read the full spec it sort of hints at this but this is a deliberate rip off in my view how is it BNF with no battery or charger.

Not impressed Horizon

Dennis
Bigplumbs is offline Find More Posts by Bigplumbs
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:05 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
I have just ordered the new BNF Beast in the UK and it claims to be Bind and Fly well it doesn't include a battery or a charger. Now I know if you read the full spec it sort of hints at this but this is a deliberate rip off in my view how is it BNF with no battery or charger.

Not impressed Horizon

Dennis
The first thing I do is convert them to my own plugs to use my own $6 batteries and I never use the included charger, so I'm glad it's $20 less and doesn't include those things.

Would you rather it be $20 more?
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:43 PM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,535 Posts
+1, I'm glad to see unnessary items finally left out & cost reduced a little.
mike3976 is online now Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:49 PM
Kev Waite
Plymouth UK
Joined Nov 2005
361 Posts
If you look on the box it says BNF BASIC, All the models that state basic version is the plane only. Horizon had so many complaints that buyers did not want the basic charger or their batts that they started to do basic versions, which started with the UMX Extra.

Like me, I have the original Beast, Sbach and micro Stryker, so I have 3 chargers and apart from the battery in the stryker the 2 other batts are not up to much. So when I upgrade to the new Beast I don't want another charger and I already have the much better Miniaviation 210mah batts that fit all the planes I have.
rcpaintfx is online now Find More Posts by rcpaintfx
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:56 PM
FPV'r
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,224 Posts
1) Eflite batteries are not very good(I am being nice)
2) Eflite charger is not very good(I am being nice)
So it is good that you do not get them in the BNF BASIC and have to pay for this junk.
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1
Old Dec 18, 2011, 02:51 PM
Future Pilot
Canada
Joined Apr 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3976 View Post
+1, I'm glad to see unnessary items finally left out & cost reduced a little.
Totally agree.

It's only a matter of time until they chuck the box too Should save on freight costs

But seriously, the batteries and chargers they give aren't even that great anyways, so it's no big loss.
astronaut is offline Find More Posts by astronaut
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:04 PM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,930 Posts
I found a shop that sells the correct connectors. I might actually just use 'em for everything - not having separate power and balance leads saves weight.

http://www.quantumhobby.com/Micro_JS...p/UMJSTPH3.htm
Cheesehead is offline Find More Posts by Cheesehead
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:21 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,229 Posts
+1. Cheaper and only using proper batteries makes the whole plane a much better value.
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower
Old Dec 18, 2011, 05:10 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Did you really buy an airplane without even reading about it here, or going to the HH website, or checking some reviews??? I find that hard to believe!

Also agreed, I have too many of those chargers myself. Just gave my E-Flites batteries (some were new) to a newcomer who complained about that. I understand somebody new not reading around before buying an airplane... But somebody who's been here since 2004? Hobby shops must like you!

Buy an adaptor for your actual charger, and go buy better batteries like Hyperion or Miniaviation. You'll be glad you saved a few bucks on something you would not have used anyway.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Dec 19, 2011, 08:48 AM
Keep building, buying,fly
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Did you really buy an airplane without even reading about it here, or going to the HH website, or checking some reviews??? I find that hard to believe!

Also agreed, I have too many of those chargers myself. Just gave my E-Flites batteries (some were new) to a newcomer who complained about that. I understand somebody new not reading around before buying an airplane... But somebody who's been here since 2004? Hobby shops must like you!

Buy an adaptor for your actual charger, and go buy better batteries like Hyperion or Miniaviation. You'll be glad you saved a few bucks on something you would not have used anyway.
Heck yes I did I have over 140 rc planes and many Bind and fly so was just rather surprised whith no battery.

My Bind and fly taylor craft had so much it was incredible

Dennis
Bigplumbs is offline Find More Posts by Bigplumbs
Old Dec 19, 2011, 01:28 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
I guess the mistake is quite understandable, but then, do we really need another abbreviation? Those abbreviations mostly became popular with HH who are likely the biggest seller of BNF, PNP, RTF, etc... BNF Basic wasn't such a bad idea, but otherwise it would have been BNFB or something which would not have meant much anyway.

Oh well, like I said, I recently gave all my E-Flites batteries away (some were new!) to someone who did the same thing you did... Check around, maybe somebody else will do the same for you. Those batteries are not that great, and you can buy a cheap adapter for your normal charger, which will be better than the original charger anyway, particularly if you charge better batteries (Hyperions, Miniaviation, or even Nano-Tech).

Hope you still like your Beast anyway, it's truly a great airplane. At least you have one, I'm still waiting for them to show up in Canada. As usual with HH, they take two more weeks before they do... But at least I have my original Beast to fly until then!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Dec 19, 2011, 05:18 PM
FPV'r
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined May 2011
1,224 Posts
The battery to get for the Beast

http://www.hyperionaustralia.com.au/product/1295
ror1 is offline Find More Posts by ror1
Old Dec 20, 2011, 02:14 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
I am personally very happy I dont have to pay for a useless charger and battery that would never come out of the box unless it was to give it away to someone. Like many others the 1st thing I do with the 2s eflite planes is change the battery connector to a jst anyway for my hyperion 180's and 240's. Look at the bnf basic package as a blessing just like the micro 4site pnp package, you arent paying an extra $20-$50 for useless junk.
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2011, 02:58 PM
ISP Supervisor
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jan 2006
728 Posts
If anyone has a spare Celectra 2S 7.4V charger, I'll be glad to buy it.
makg is offline Find More Posts by makg
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:50 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,964 Posts
Check your PM's.
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn