HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2003, 04:55 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
Quote:
If used properly and monitered correctly the only thing the more expensive charger is going to do is tell me if I programmed the wrong settings in to it. With that said, I don't plan on getting any larger packs or planes in the future.
(emphasis added)

Not to belabor this but - as long as you only have one type (in this case particularly, batteries with one series cell count) this is fine. As soon as you have more than one (and it could be smaller as well as larger) then mistakes can happen and as Steve pointed out with lithiums the ramifications of this are rather nastier than with NiCd/NiMH.

Sorry I misquoted you.

One other thought: the price of one ruined battery (and NO collateral damage) will bridge the gap between the BEL and the Apache 1500 charger (that won't let you be distracted while setting the cell count). We all plan to use this stuff "properly and monitored correctly" but none of us is infallible. If you've ever tried to take off with the wrong model memory you know what I mean.

Besides, Bill has the Apache in stock .
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2003, 05:10 PM
CO of The Flying Circus
wind and rain,Oregon
Joined Jul 2002
1,519 Posts
BEC,

You are 100% correct, the more expensive chargers do have saftey circuits that will shut it down if something happens while charging or if the user were to set it improperly. And with the cost of Li-Po packs right now one "fried" pack would make the less expensive charger more expensive in the end. I am leaning towards the Apache for the simple reason that in order to charge the 3s pack I will have to buy an auxilliary power source costing me extra money that could be spent on a more versatile charger. Thanks again!
The Blue Max is offline Find More Posts by The Blue Max
Old Oct 02, 2003, 08:00 PM
Sayre,PA
Joined Sep 2002
1,664 Posts
I think your best bet is a DIY charger such as this one that will only cost $5 -$10 for the parts. I believe it is one of the safest type chargers because it is dedicated to one size and type of pack so it has a fixed output voltage and fixed maximum charge rate. There is no danger of accidentally setting the wrong cell count or charge rate. Also because it is so simple there is less chance of something going wrong. If you are inexperienced at wiring up simple little circuits find a friend that knows how and have him wire it up for you.
jimsp is offline Find More Posts by jimsp
Old Oct 02, 2003, 09:33 PM
Eastern S.D.
Joined Aug 2003
5 Posts
I for one am very happy that everybody contributes to these questions. Even tho I have been flying for over fourty years this Li-Po thing is all greek to me and I appreciate any wisdom that you folks care to share. Thank You!
Cvan
P.S. I don't want to burn my house down either.
Cvan is offline Find More Posts by Cvan