|Dec 17, 2011, 02:33 PM|
Me-329 Build............ 1/8th scale
I settled on the Me-329 as my next build. Not many know of this WWII German design but it got as far as a mockup and one source said one prototype was flown as a glider.
Info off the net:"Messerschmitt Me 329
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Status Mock up only
Primary user Luftwaffe
Number built 0
Developed from Messerschmitt Me 265
The Messerschmitt Me 329 was a design project for a heavy fighter and ground-attack aircraft developed towards the end of World War II. It was a competitor and possible successor to the Me 410.
Like the Me 265, the Me 329 used an advanced flying wing design. Other advanced touches included the pilot and navigator sitting tandem in a broad bubble canopy, and a remote-controlled rear gun in the tail.
In spite of the futuristic design, the improvement in performance over the Me 410 was marginal. Development received a low priority, and while a full-scale glider mock-up was tested in the winter of 1944/5, work on the project was cancelled shortly after."
I decided on a 1/8th scale. She is like the Me-163, short but long wings. At this scale the fuse is only 38" long. However, the wingspan is 86". So the wings will have to be removable for transport.
I'll do a FG fuse, in fact I'm making a plug up of the whole center section that includes the nacelles. It is a fairly complex plug and has taken quite a bit of work to get it finished. Not quite done yet but getting close and I hope to be glassing the fuse by Tuesday or so.
Only info I could find was two 3 views and some pics of the mockup. Artists renditions are all over the map so I'm taking that as I have some leeway and can take some liberty with the design. My model will be a mix of the sources available.
I started several days ago on the middle section plug, I will go through some of the steps I took with it.
After enlarging the 3 view I cut out fuse planform and bulkheads. Glued the bulkheads and foam blocks in between. Used hot glue gun for this procedure for speed.
Once it was all built up I carved with an electric carving knife and then sanded to rough shape.
Once that was done it was time to get the middle wing section ready. More on this later.
|Dec 17, 2011, 02:43 PM|
Joined Jan 2005
Another Cool build
As always I am stunned at 2 things, how scale your aircraft are (The attention to detail is astonding) and how fast you build. Looks great so far, will be watching this build closely over the comming weeks.
Great subject aircraft by the way very unique.
|Dec 17, 2011, 04:28 PM|
I hope I can get the plug done soon but have a few issues with it. The white foam is so soft that when you try to sand even with a sanding block it still leaves a starved horse effect between the bulkheads. I'm out of bondo finishing cream or I would put a layer on and fix it. I ordered more from LA ( online)and it won't be here until Tuesday. May try some spackle but I already have poly on it and worried it might not stick well. But it needs to be fixed before I can lay up a fuse. We'll see.
Presently I'm working on the bottom and hope to get it ready for 3/4 oz glass tomorrow.
Pics show the progress on the middle section.
If I ever get it done I think the way the FG middle section is built will be interesting.
|Dec 17, 2011, 09:34 PM|
Joined Nov 2009
John - How did you get the nacelles to match up with the airfoil shape of the wing sections? Did you trace it from the wing beds?
|Dec 18, 2011, 05:14 AM|
I used a piece of blue fan fold foam and eyeballed the airfoil cut and then placed it on the wing and tweaked it by trimming where needed. When I got the shape right I transferred it to the 2" blue foam. It was basically the TLAR method combined with trial & error.
|Dec 18, 2011, 06:00 AM|
OK, where was I? Oh yeah, working on the nacelles. This process seemed to take days( I think it actually did). Waiting for spackle to dry really slowed down any progress.
But the tops were finally done and I flipped it over to start the bottom. I used the artists pics vs the mockup pictures for my final nacelle shape.
While spackle was drying I made a cutout where the canopy fits. This was twofold. One, it makes a depression so when I glass it there will be a nice line to cut the glass on. Secondly I used it to build up the canopy plug. I used fanfold as a base and built up with 2" blocks. Of course the canopy was just a little over 2" high so I had to go overkill on the height. Once I rough shaped with the hot wire I shaped with the sureform tool and then sanded.
Later I gave it a coat of epoxy to protect it from the bondo that will be applied.
While still waiting for spackle to dry, I started on the wings outer section. That will be in the next post.
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Build Log||Beta build: 1/8th scale Horten Ho-IX V3||Tempest||Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk||305||Sep 13, 2012 07:49 PM|
|For Sale||Bunch of 1/8th scale setup tools and losi 2.0t stuff||trexstuntin3d||Cars - Accessories (FS/W)||3||Jan 11, 2012 03:46 PM|
|Discussion||1/8th Scale DM1 Spec Brushless Conversion Build||ryan_t888||Electric Power Cars||15||Jul 15, 2011 07:42 PM|
|Sold||Caster EX-1 1/8th scale electric buggy||ddierking||Cars - Accessories (FS/W)||0||Mar 26, 2011 04:31 PM|
|For Sale||1/5th and 1/6th scale tires and 1/8th tires||wingmanrc39||Cars - Trucks and Parts (FS/W)||2||Mar 20, 2011 12:01 PM|