Old Jan 04, 2012, 06:59 AM
More like crunchman....
United Kingdom, Cheshire East
Joined Mar 2007
903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantar2A View Post
Here is my lateset pair of molded planks

The red and white one is my light all arounder at 11.0 oz. AUW. and it seems to like wind up to 30 mph and still penetrates fine,I DS'd this plane in 20 mph winds and it loved it.

The black and white one is span ballasted with 3 oz. in each wing tip and has a spread tow carbon lay-up on the wing. the AUW came in at 17.6 oz.
I expect it will be a bit more fun in bigger air.

Nick
Nice ships, Nick.

Too much of that Newcassa Broon & you'll be span-loaded too.
dsman is offline Find More Posts by dsman
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:45 AM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,184 Posts
chevron wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordysoar View Post
For you guys interested in a serious thermal flying wing, this one is it.

I own the Flying Rainbow (pictured below) which seems to be the forerunner to the ZupAir and it flies fantastic and about 4 times the weight.

Just ordered a ZupAir - Take a look at the video showing using flaps, its amazing!

I pity the fool doesn't get one of these ships! :-)
Gordy

http://www.zupair.com/

It may be a nice plane but I don't feel it fits into the crunchie plank class of airplane.
It's a chevron wing configuration not what I consider a plank.
Jantar2A is offline Find More Posts by Jantar2A
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:36 PM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
683 Posts
Get "bent" :-)

You're right, its not really a plank like some of the amazing ships shown in this thread, but its all I had to offer :-).

You guys have made some real beauties.

Gordy
Gordysoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordysoar
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:12 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,561 Posts
How does it DS?
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:23 PM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
683 Posts
Crank'd Plank DSing

Not sure how it will do in DS, should be interesting but the shortcoming of cranked planks has been wing twist....but that was always with non composite heavy constructions.

The ZupAir is pretty light and stiff.

Our slope in Frankfort Kentucky has a very nice DS band, it has a flat backside, so no back side that you guys would recognize but the zone develops nice enough to cause some moldies and foamie wings to flutter.

I'm guessing only in the 100mph range...but a very easy to groove zone, so even newbies pick it up after just a few circuits.

It depends on a SW wind and tomorrow they are calling for snow...so it may be a while before we can do any slope soaring around here.

I'll keep you posted.
Gordy
Gordysoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordysoar
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2012, 03:56 AM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,506 Posts
Plank Maiden!

I finally got to maiden my new plank. See post #51. It was 2 kg AUW by the time I ballanced it, wing loading around 65 - 70 g/sq.dm.
I flew it out at Mt. Borah in gusting wind around 20 knots and it went fantastic first toss! Much faster than I anticipated with huge pumps and loops etc. It flies neutral inverted- no down elevator needed! And surprisingly quiet for such a fast plane. The only thing that I will change is the elevator deflection, I had too much and was only using about 10% of the stick movement. Just a bit twitchy. I managed to land it ok without any drama.
Very happy with it, I hope to have someone to video it next time up on the mountain.

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 04:00 AM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,236 Posts
Very nice Jim..glad it all went well. Quiet means efficient... well done.

Tim
timbuck is offline Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:22 PM
More like crunchman....
United Kingdom, Cheshire East
Joined Mar 2007
903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbello View Post
I finally got to maiden my new plank. See post #51. It was 2 kg AUW by the time I ballanced it, wing loading around 65 - 70 g/sq.dm.
I flew it out at Mt. Borah in gusting wind around 20 knots and it went fantastic first toss! Much faster than I anticipated with huge pumps and loops etc. It flies neutral inverted- no down elevator needed! And surprisingly quiet for such a fast plane. The only thing that I will change is the elevator deflection, I had too much and was only using about 10% of the stick movement. Just a bit twitchy. I managed to land it ok without any drama.
Very happy with it, I hope to have someone to video it next time up on the mountain.

Jim.

Seems perfect, must be immensely satisfying.
dsman is offline Find More Posts by dsman
Old Mar 26, 2012, 03:37 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsman View Post
Seems perfect, must be immensely satisfying.
Yes, it sure was. It shows that carefull attention to measuring up and setting up on the bench, ballancing etc. certainly pays off!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 03:56 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,212 Posts
Well done Jim!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:02 AM
Scorpian 60'' 2012
Kurrajong Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,455 Posts
Hi Jim
Good to here that it went well with the plank , where did the cg end up & what was the throw on the elevator ?

getting the Avalanche ready for paint in the next week or so ( finally)

Rick
BMtech is offline Find More Posts by BMtech
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:55 PM
RC LIFER
santa rosa California
Joined Aug 2005
2,001 Posts
I built quite a few planks a while back, and I discovered the same thing, that elevator deflection/travel is very minimal.

I found that the sweet spot CG-wise, was to keep moving it back until the plane flew hands off inverted, which it sounds like you are at, but at that CG, the elevator travel was maybe 1-2mm up and down, while the aileron throws were normal. As the CG moves back, the elevator response gets ultra touchy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbello View Post

Jim.
Mike the Snake is offline Find More Posts by Mike the Snake
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:54 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,506 Posts
Cg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMtech View Post
Hi Jim
Good to here that it went well with the plank , where did the cg end up & what was the throw on the elevator ?

getting the Avalanche ready for paint in the next week or so ( finally)

Rick
Rick,
The CG started and will stay at 22% MAC. I used the online CG calculator here: http://www.scaleaero.com/CG_Calculator.htm after measuring up very carefully. I no longer believe the idea of starting "conservatively" (forward) as it is described, and them moving it back! Maidening a plane with a forward CG is counterproductive in my opinion, and only compounds the pilot work load. It raises the stalling speed and makes the plane more sluggish (if it will fly at all that is, often a plank will not!).
The elevator deflection rates are now around 2 mm. up and down. This is the only thing that I changed after the maiden flight, I had them too high and was only using about 10% of elevator stick movement.

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Mar 29, 2012 at 04:57 PM. Reason: correction to information.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:21 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,428 Posts
I have only just discovered this thread and am chiming in to tell you all that planks are the work of the devil, and they're not real planes. Like helicopters they can't fly and they only stay up because of satanic forces. You guys need to publicly repent and renounce your planks, and along with gyros they should be sacrificed on a funeral pyre as an offering to the god of real planes (that have tails).
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB