HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:52 AM
Joined Dec 2011
8 Posts
Discussion
Flyzone DR1

This plane is terrible. Ground loops and won't ROG. Tail heavy.

Going to rebalance it.Using clay till I get it right. Very touchy on right turns.

I wonder if I can set it up for use with my Aurora 9 TX.

An other suggestions are welcome.
raf37 is offline Find More Posts by raf37
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:13 PM
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
954 Posts
People are fairly raving about theirs in the RTF forum:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&pp=30&page=10

Ask your question there, it does sound like yours is tail heavy?
Pouncer is offline Find More Posts by Pouncer
Old Dec 17, 2011, 05:55 PM
billyjim
Cullman, AL
Joined Jun 2007
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raf37 View Post

Going to rebalance it.Using clay till I get it right. Very touchy on right turns.

RAF: I haven't got my DR-1 in yet, but I've had a lot of experience with the Hobbyzone/Flyzone products (including reviews of the Playmate/Albatros/and Super Cub) -- so I may be able to help you.

Let's talk about the "tail heavy" characteristic first. Checking with the RTF thread on the DR-1 (which is humongously long -- been going since early in the year) I see where Dave Johnson, one of the prime designers of the DR-1, in response to complaints about it being tailheavy, says crank in a few clicks of down elevator and that should solve the problem, with no need for adding nose ballast.

Next the problem with ground-looping. I see that no one's addressed that issue yet on the RTF thread, so this may be the only headsup on that issue. It cropped up with the Flyzone UM Super Cub that came out several months ago. Out of the box the crate had a VICIOUS left ground loop, on every takeoff. I could reduce the problem some by using WOT for the ROG --- no fun, and not very scale-like. So then I took a close look at the landing gear. Here's what I found: the left wheel would move inwards on the axle until it had ridden right up to the ~60-degree bend in the landing gear wire --- and then it would bind.

Now the DR-1 does not have that bend, 'cause the axle is one long piece running under the subwing, and both wheels are set on it. So the above explanation of why it's binding is not the answer. So in the case of the DR-1 I suspect there is some other kind of bind between one of the wheel's hub, and either the axle or the edge of the subwing. Check that out, and if that's the problem try wiggling the wheel around the axle multiple times, to see if you can "work out the bind." Hope that's the problem, and the fix. If not, can anyone else come up with the problem and fix?

Bill
billyjim is offline Find More Posts by billyjim
Old Dec 17, 2011, 06:47 PM
No dear, That isn't New!
USA, IL, Urbana
Joined Nov 2006
800 Posts
raf37, I maiden my DR 1 today. Ground looping was an issue at first! But lets back up just a tad. First, do you fly larger planes? and if you do, do you fly with the rudder? If you do use or fly with the rudder on the left stick, then switch them! To do this remove the battery from the plane, turn off the transmitter, put both sticks forward and to oppisate corners and turn the TX back on. You will hear two beeps and the red light will flash. If done correctly you will now have the rudder on the left stick. But If you do not normally fly with the rudder? then try adding the power faster. Don’t try to nurse it along. The rudder is very effective as the speed comes up, so its easy to get behind the plane and make it ground loop. Tail draggers are all a bit touchy, some require a little up elevator to hold the tail down until airspeed has been increased, then release it before the plane rotates. I hope this helps? Jim
pattypilot is online now Find More Posts by pattypilot
Old Dec 17, 2011, 08:34 PM
Just some guy
Joined Aug 2006
662 Posts
To take off straight, rapidly advance the throttle to at least 3/4 to full throttle. If you wish to milk it out, throttle back once the tail comes up. It behaves just like the big ones. No bull, if you firewall it on a smooth surface once it is trimmed, it will takeoff hands off. Give it a try. If you try to accelerate slowly it gets hard fast, Not enough air flow over the rudder versus the tall stance.

DJ

Het Pattypilot, glad you got to fly it today. I got stuck cleaning the shop:-(
D Johnson is offline Find More Posts by D Johnson
Last edited by D Johnson; Dec 17, 2011 at 08:35 PM. Reason: oops
Old Dec 17, 2011, 09:18 PM
No dear, That isn't New!
USA, IL, Urbana
Joined Nov 2006
800 Posts
Ya thats to bad, We missed not having you with us. I must say LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my DR 1. And now that I have the rudder on my left stick! peeerrrrrfect!
Thinking of ordering parts to build my custom? and keep flying this one. Having to much fun flying this one!!!!! Jim
Old Dec 17, 2011, 10:24 PM
USA, CA, Torrance
Joined Sep 2004
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raf37 View Post

Golly friend you sure do have something wrong as i got mine thursday & flew it friday morning in the small lawn in front of my house, it flew perfect right out of the box. did notice slight tail heavy but just gave it some down elevator & it was perfect then. it rogs perfect with no problem i do use full throttle on take off but once airborne throttle back to about 30%. both my wheels rotate freely so make sure yours do also. it loops perfect & really like the full off throttle landing. my beast needs aliitle throttle to land, the quality is perfect for this little jewel. cheers haldayne
haldayne is offline Find More Posts by haldayne
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:47 AM
Joined Dec 2011
8 Posts
Dr 1

Did the following: One wheel was Not free spinning(drilled it out) Glued wheel retainers on (canopy glue)These retainers come off easily.Hence the glue. Checked ground tracking,made slight adjustment.Rolls straight now.Also glued LG axle (slided easily) wheels now centered on axle(LG)
Added 1/10th oz.lead nose weight. Using the center wing @ 25% back from LE. Balances now.
I suggest you check these items if you experience similar issues.
No indoor flying till !/9/12 .Will have to wait to try it.

raf37
raf37 is offline Find More Posts by raf37
Old Dec 21, 2011, 01:54 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,409 Posts
Glad you found what may have been the problem. I noticed one wheel not spinning freely on one of my two Dr1's and fixed it by reaming it out with a tapered reamer. All my flights so far have been outdoors, with hand launches and landings in grass. So, I haven't had a chance to try any ROG from a gym floor yet.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Dec 21, 2011, 02:37 PM
RC Guy Having Fun!
Joined Apr 2010
378 Posts
Test flew my friend's new DR1 this morning in a smallish gym. Flew fine with a couple clicks of down trim. It's very sensitive to trim change and one click makes a difference. All flights were rog and a smooth advance of the throttle brought the tail up and a lift off at about 1/2 throttle. Flys very realistically at this speed and looks good in the air! Aero
Aeronut41 is offline Find More Posts by Aeronut41
Old Dec 21, 2011, 04:28 PM
Evansville Dress Reg., Indiana, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,008 Posts
Its my favorite UM rc plane , a fantastic job that Flyzone has done .

The Dr1 will fly so nice and slow for me , and looks great in the air .
wattman is offline Find More Posts by wattman
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:12 PM
No dear, That isn't New!
USA, IL, Urbana
Joined Nov 2006
800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattman View Post
Its my favorite UM rc plane , a fantastic job that Flyzone has done .

The Dr1 will fly so nice and slow for me , and looks great in the air .
You have that right wattman! They have a real winner here! I've been flying the one I have with a 160 Mah battery. but balance is still fine. matter of fact, it will glide, power OFF hands off!! How many UM have you seen do that? what a great flying bird.

Jim
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:17 PM
Joined Mar 2011
100 Posts
Love mine Rog two clicks of right trim and that was it perfect first flight. Handled nice at slow speeds and turned tight at high speeds. I have there albatross and like it but this dr1 makes it look like joke.
Duke58th is online now Find More Posts by Duke58th
Old Dec 22, 2011, 08:32 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke58th View Post
I have there albatross and like it but this dr1 makes it look like joke.
agree - liked albatross, enjoyed playmate, love my Champ... The very classy DR1 is best of them all!
elvill is offline Find More Posts by elvill
Old Dec 25, 2011, 11:00 PM
billyjim
Cullman, AL
Joined Jun 2007
914 Posts
Just got my DR-1

1. BOTH wheels are completely bound to the CF axle --- won't budge worth a darn. Fix: remove the wheels and ream them out with a 1mm drill bit. Then re-assemble. You'll now have a free-wheeling LG.

Of course if you ROG at WOT it won't matter a bit if you don't have free wheeling. However, if you'd like your DR-1 to do a scale takeoff, slow and steady and easy -- you'll want to free wheel.

2. The included pilot is a neat feature. However, it's a WW2 pilot: you need to shave off the headphones over his ears -- there weren't any headphones in that war, and shave off the shoulder strap buckles -- in WW1 all they had were seat belts. I also shaved off some of the goggles -- made them less protruding.

3. Add a 1"x1/8" piece of white cloth, glued to the side of his neck, and trailing out back --- that's the white silk scarf that all the pilots needed so they could constantly turn from side to side and back, to evade attacks from the rear.

4. As previously noted in an earlier thread don't call the guy an "Axis" pilot -- that applies only to WW2 --- in WW1 they were called "Central Power" pilots. Also "Huns" and "the Boche."

NOW ---you are Manfred von Richtofen, you're ready to climb into the cockpit and get another Brit, Frog, or Yank! .... Viel' Glück!

Willi
billyjim is offline Find More Posts by billyjim
Last edited by billyjim; Dec 26, 2011 at 07:53 AM.