HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2012, 11:35 AM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
well I stayed up late last night and rough shaped out the nose still needs more work and I think I need to blunt off the nose a bit, I also worked on my cannons I made some tubes out of a magazine cover and CA glue. But I think they are to large because of how thin the wall is so I will make another set they are very strong for just paper and very light, once I get them to the right size I will glue them in then cut the angle close and sand off the rest to match the FUSE. still have to make the cannons & guns but I think I will make a trip next week to the LHS and pick up a hand full of tubes witch I need anyway.
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2012, 01:49 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
This morning I finished up shaping the nose and made the cannon gun ports, I went back and rechecked my dim's. and the paper tubes that I had made would work so I installed them, now I just have to make 4 - 20mm Hispano cannons and mount them but befor I do that I will sand seal and lightly prime the gun ports area check it out.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 09:05 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
OK well this morning I made painted and temp. installed the cannons, now I'ts on to the nose cone I will hollow it out and make the 303 cal. guns.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 12:42 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
Yesterday I felt real crappie so I did not work on anything this morning I came up with a idea for making the 303 cal machine guns, I found a great looking kit on line but it was only 1/24 scale they had the Hispano cannons as well a co. out of Britain all in brass. so I ended up making my own, I have made one so far by turning it with my drill and using wood carving tools to shape. I will attempt to carve three more and see if I can make them look the same if I can't then I will make a mold and cast them in resin, this is a lot of work and I would rather not do it that way the wooden ones have very little weight.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 04:39 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
Well I made a end spindle using an scratch all to stabilize the dowel while I turned it this time and it was a lot better so I was able to make three more copies and then shot them w/ the gun metal paint I mixed the other day when I made the cannons check them out they came out so good I might remake the cannons also.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:11 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
Today I did some work on the nose added a piece of 1/32" ply to the aft end of the nose cone to make the sharp edge tougher then added some pins to line it up and some magnets to hold it in place. now I just have to drill the holes for the guns and the radar antenna and I still have to make the antenna as well, my tail wheel ass. and some more servos and other mat. should get here monday then I can finish up the FUSE and start on the part of the wing that will connect to the FUSE I still have to think of how I will go w/ this I have at least two ways in my head and when I start to put it together it could change again so check the progress!!
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:32 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Jun 2006
1,045 Posts
Looking good!!

I can't wait to see you start the wing!

I have 1/9 scale electric plans for a Mossy that I plan on building someday!
umdpru is offline Find More Posts by umdpru
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2012, 06:22 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by umdpru View Post
Looking good!!

I can't wait to see you start the wing!

I have 1/9 scale electric plans for a Mossy that I plan on building someday!
thanks umdpru I should be getting my basswood spars from Midwest on Monday so then I can start to build the inner section of the wing to figure out just how I will connect the wing to the fuse. There are two ways that I can think right off one they will be full length and bolt in the center. two the center sections will get joined and the wing tips will be removable out side of the nacelles. but this makes for a very large FUSE, I'll know better when I have some parts in hand to see which way to go.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 06:35 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
Yea today I didn't do so much I made the radar antenna and I may get around to drilling the holes for the guns and antenna later on this evening. The antenna I made out of parts left over from the 50cal guns I will put in the p-38, I always hold on to the left over plastic bits because you can use them in so many ways. (really good for the cock pit) and I'll be using some more for just that later, but for now check out the progress.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 07:41 PM
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined Oct 2009
380 Posts
Build is looking great. What are you planning for the main gear?
RobMason is offline Find More Posts by RobMason
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:40 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
Build is looking great. What are you planning for the main gear?
Rob still thinking about how I will proceed with the gear.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:34 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
I got a good bit done today first I drilled the holes for the antenna then the guns I wanted them to be removable even though I have made the nose removable as well . So what I did was find tube that fit the guns and antenna and cut about 1/2" piece to glue in the holes, just the pressure of a tight fit will hold them in place getting them in line be for gluing them is the tricky part but I was able to get them all glued. then I sand sealed the nose and the front of the FUSE w/ two coats lacquer based sanding sealer by DEFT I really like this product it drys real fast and has a lot of solids that fill real quick. so then I sanded and sprayed to coats of high build auto primer by RUST-OLEUM , This will protect the balsa from any rubs and scratches while moving the FUSE around over the next months. And then most will get sanded off and then sprayed again to fill all of the imperfections this really shows all and depending on how bad they may be sometimes I use auto spot putty then prime again and sand. the final finish will be RUST-OLEMM professional in this case most likely flat or mat black; so check out the progress.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:57 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
322 Posts
I always though mosquitos had just one proboscis. This changes my opinion about biology. Very nasty looking front end indeed.

Bruce you are like a magician transferring magazine covers and plastic kit leftovers to a detailed flying scale model. An enjoyment to follow.

ilkka
I. Klemetti is offline Find More Posts by I. Klemetti
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:22 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I. Klemetti View Post
I always though mosquitos had just one proboscis. This changes my opinion about biology. Very nasty looking front end indeed.

Bruce you are like a magician transferring magazine covers and plastic kit leftovers to a detailed flying scale model. An enjoyment to follow.

ilkka
ilkka just about any one can put together a premade kit the real creativity and artistry comes by using your emagination, thank you for your kind words. Here are some of the photos that I've been working with. mine will be black though, and I should have changed the nose but I went w/ how Brian made this part so I will just change the panel lines to suit. and yes this was a very nasty beast indeed and it will also have rockets and bombs. there where not to many that were set up that way but the ones that attacked ships in Norway carried all of this armament.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:54 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,151 Posts
Alright well today while waiting for the UPS man to bring me my new tail wheel retract along with various other goodies for my builds I went ahead and started to lay out the wing and figure how I would make this into a two piece wing. I had seen another builder break it just out side of the nacelles but I want to use just one servo for the flaps and this would make it a pain in the at the field for hook up. So I think it will break in the center I will do this by making the first two ribs out of ply and reinforce the wing with carbon fiber tubes out past or at least to the nacelles and add some more structure in that first bay w/ basswood stringers and have at least two T-nuts bolting the wing together as well as to the FUSE a total of six bolts and T-nuts. I cant explain how I will fix the tail wheel so I will take a bunch of photos to show how this goes this is going to be a real pain in the for sure but I had to fix it.