HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:33 PM
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Nov 2004
337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterz25 View Post
Roddie I'm glad the photos are helping you, when you get to the landing gear the spring makes all of the difference and you won't need a real powerful servo.

I went back this evening and installed the spring and it does almost all of the work, the servo just starts the movement and holds it in the locked position.

Bruce
Bruce,

Good to see you are back on the Mossie and have the landing gear working real well now after your earlier hassles.

Still waiting to see a few more take to the air.

Peter.
PeterF is offline Find More Posts by PeterF
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:43 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,310 Posts
Thanks Peater...You'll be waiting a long time be for mine is flying a few of these other guys will have there's in the air faster than me, I'm already planning my next build it's been to long w/ out some balsa pinned to my building board so I will push to get the second side of the Mossie caught up to the first side.
And then it's the PBY flying boat Fighter/Bomber/ RC/ Torpedo an all around plane we could not have done w/ out in WWII, I will do the the version w/out the landing gear w/ about an 8' WS This will be fun to build a very straight forward build but I'll make all of my own parts just working from vintage drawings and will most likely use
twin two strokes for power.

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Mar 03, 2013, 05:59 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,310 Posts
Well I 'm still working on the springs for the landing gear I made a bracket to attach the springs to so I can adjust how much tension is applied to the gear.
They hook to the gear w/ a split washer that has been solder to the leg just above the pivot.
When I took this photo one of them popped off so I'll have to solder another one back in place, But the good news is it's working.
I still have to program the servos so the action will be slowed down and to do this I need a USB cable that I have ordered and should be here this week.
The bracket I made is in the middle setting for the tension and it pulls the springs to the center getting then out of the way of the legs of the landing gear.
So check out the progress.

Bruce
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:45 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
178 Posts
Rods Flaps

Bruce
The Landing gear looking good and I am watching with interest and picking up plenty of hints how to develop mine, thanks
Have continued on the Flaps and after a couple of failures, have a working model for one flap!! Have find some counter sunk screws to bolt the bracket to the flap and its finished (well one) Will work on the second now I have the first working,
Have lots of photos and have copied a selection for you to take a look at.
The question is do I put the servo in the engine nacelle (similar to yours) or behind the Tower (ie behind the second Nacelle rib). on back of the nacelle??
Any suggestion of how to improve it will be greatfully accepted.

Seeyar Rod
Roddie is offline Find More Posts by Roddie
Last edited by Roddie; Mar 03, 2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:18 AM
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Mar 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterz25 View Post
Well congratulations Graham I hope you keep on building, BUT when my first one was born I too was building a "Stuka" well needless to say it was 18 plus years until I got back to building models I hope you have a different experience and can teach the little one to build and fly as well
And YES! we have a good bunch of guys building this plane on this thread it seems that most of us are busy w/ other things right now, but I now have all of my stuff moved in the building room and as soon as I can put everything in it's place the Mossie will go on the other side of my new work table and I'll be able to work both planes P-38 & Mossie at the same time. here's some shots of the new room.
Thanks Bruce, we just found out we are having a boy! So, maybe I will be passing this hobby along like my Dad passed it on to me
grahamj4 is offline Find More Posts by grahamj4
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:25 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,310 Posts
Roddie .... very cool I will watch to see how you pull this together, the servo for the flaps behind the tower I've seen another guy put it there, you won't be able to access
it very well after the nacelle is built up in case of service or adjustment remember to mount it on a plate that can be removed easily.

looking good still watching,

Bruce
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:47 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
178 Posts
Bruce Worked on the second flap and came up with something that works. The strange thing was the connecting wire had to bowed towards the wings (not straight) as it put pressure on the hinges and mine are not glued and they moved out. But the idea works.
Hope you had as much success with the landing gear (been looking on the net for ideas and bits).

All Best Rod
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:07 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,310 Posts
Looking really good Roddie... I took a short break from the gear a friend sent me the
PBY plans on disc resized to an 8' WS Vintage plans So I had them printed and now I'm working three planes I have started new threads on all three sites I post on here
on warbirds the same on RCU and on scratch builds on RCSB I know they have a SEA PLANE site here and may post there later but this was a war plane, RCU has a SEA PLANE forum as well.
So since your into the SEA PLANES also you'll have to check it out also, I 'm starting
on my parts today and have already posted the plans.

Bruce
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:27 AM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,440 Posts
You are out of control, Bruce! I can't hardly stay focused on one plane. I can't wait to watch the new build!
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:59 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,310 Posts
Thanks aaron I've been called worse glad your on board also.

I just needed my Balsa FIX all of this LANDING GEAR stuff has made me want to work w/ WOOD again it keeps me calm.

Anyway I 'm waiting on a cable for the PC so I can SLOW DOWN the servos that work the landing gear, so I the mean time I'll make some PBY parts.

Bruce
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:01 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,310 Posts
The cable has come in to program the servos I'll work on that and keep you guys posted w/ the progress then see how the landing gear will work.

Bruce
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:08 AM
Australia, TAS, Hobart
Joined Dec 2010
47 Posts

Ganno
Ganno is offline Find More Posts by Ganno
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CAC Wirraway
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:09 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,310 Posts
BE PATIENT I'll be back on this one soon,

I'm looking forward to some of the others that are building to post some of there progress I know there's at least three of you guys still building maybe more?

Bruce
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:01 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
178 Posts
Ah Bruce
I Wish I had something to report but sadly I do not, I have to catchup on all those jobs that I have put off while I build the Mossie. So a bit more time before I return to the build. I bought some parts for the landing gear and have an idea of how I am going to build it. But that is later.
Love your Catalina, fantasic job, though the saw cuts look difficult to ensure correct constant depth. I am keeping a log of the build. Can't help myself.

All best Rod
Old Mar 17, 2013, 04:57 PM
Plane Nuts
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined Oct 2009
394 Posts
Finally getting to be flying weathet for my german mossie. Just moved this weekend and am now 5 min from the club field :-) will get video of mine soon I hope

Rob
RobMason is offline Find More Posts by RobMason