HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:24 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
188 Posts
G'Day Bruce The photos I promised for you. installed the wing elevators, worked abit on the Flap Actuator (without much successs) but now have a better understanding of how Brian Taylor design works.
See the current status. All Best Rod
Roddie is offline Find More Posts by Roddie
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:02 AM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,466 Posts
Great work Roddie I forgot you were doing the Brian Taylor hinge on the AILERONS
Are your hinge tabs made from ply? It's hard to tell in the photo, and I'm looking forward to seeing your FLAP Actuator are you going w/ his design there as well?
Well hopefully in a few days I'll be back building again and you may call me crazy but I'm already starting to plan the next build this time it going to be the PBY flying Boat
Most likely a scaled down version w/ about 7' -8' WS I'm not sure what that works out to in scale yet and it's just in the planning stages. I was going to do the Sky Shark IL2 fighter but that kit is so well made it's almost like a snap together model and it would not be much of a challenge for me.

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:52 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
188 Posts
Bruce yes the hinges were ply, come with the build set. I used them because they were close to the actual Mossie hinges. As you found out I am not up with all the correct terms, when I was in NZ I spoke with Glyn who showed me the ailerons working and commented on the need for the hinges to allow the Aileron to protrude below the wing when activated.
Playing with the Flap Actuator and will take photos for you. Have limited success with a movement less than required .
I will not call you crazy as I also like building models rather than flying them, not sure on my next build but a flying boat was one that had caught my eye.
Last edited by Roddie; Feb 23, 2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:46 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,466 Posts
RODDIE... Great photos of the hinges, My wood set didn't come w/ ply hinges.
Witch flying boat were you thinking of building?

Bruce
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:59 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
188 Posts
Flap Actuator

Bruce
You must be a night owl as its mid day here so its late there. Progress on the Flap actuator with a bit of success. Pretty rough but it works. Took lots of photos so you can see the action. Currently one flap only.
The position of the slot was because the kit had these ply reinforcements that had a grove in them, so to fit the groves, the connector neutral position was in front of the centreline. The rest followed
See the photos for your thoughts and comments

Bruce you are way ahead of me, the sea plane was either the Catalina or the Sunderland (this was used in Australia and used to land on the Sydney Habour, but only had a limited number of passengers. The Catalina looks a graceful plane to build though.

Rod
Last edited by Roddie; Feb 24, 2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:40 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,466 Posts
Roddie ... I don't sleep much anymore but when I posted last it was only 10:45pm here, what you have going there looks right I figured you would have to make a curved slot for the wire w/ Brian's design what will you use as a bearing in the center? and what kind of WATER PLANE were you thinking about building next?
Where the wire touches the FLAP I would use thin ply for stiffness at the contact point.

Bruce
Old Feb 24, 2013, 06:12 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
188 Posts
G'day Bruce:
Thought I would beat you but you replied already. The Flap, I have used three ply to strengthen the formers with a few holes to lighten them. The hinge point I thought of the plastic hinges (saw them in the model shop) mounted on top of twin balsa stacks. The servo in the centre.

Added later:- I have 1 cm thick PVC sheet that I can make the towers and hinge points with plenty of holes etc.... to cut down the weight. I understand about the ply in the Flap and I will do that (was wondering how to fix the connector inside the flap). Will use your idea for the connector.

Added a couple of photos (in the post above) to show the connector location in flap and the Traplet ply reinforcements

The sea plane was either the Catalina or the Sunderland (this was used in Australia and used to land on the Sydney Habour, but only had a limited number of passengers. The Catalina looks a graceful plane to build though

All best Rod
Last edited by Roddie; Feb 25, 2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:08 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,466 Posts
Roddie it seems that you got a much better wood pack than I did I had no such ply wood pieces in mine I'm wondering what your using for your bearing for the FLAP ACTUATOR ? when you get farther along please post some photos I'm still not sure of everything your doing there but it looks like you have a good plan and understanding of what your trying to accomplish.

Bruce
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:03 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,466 Posts
Okay I'm back I've been following Doug Bartley's Mossie build and after seeing what he has done w/ the landing gear I thought I would redo my first try, the first thing I did was get rid of the horn in the center and make a new one like Brian Taylor has on the drawing. Then I made a 4-40 threaded push rod for the ball link connector. the next thing I'll be changing is the aft mount it needs to move forward and will not be angled. This is a slow process because I have to change what I've already done, so this is my start at doing this.
Here's the link to Dougs build / landing gear for you other guys that haven't seen it yet, it starts on page 19 and finishes on 29.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...756208&page=19
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:12 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
188 Posts
Hi Bruce you have been active but looking good. I will watch with interest as the landing gear is my project on this build. Thanks for the link I will look there to.
Will take plenty of photos as I build the Flap Actuator, right now I am building the second flap and mounting it. So a bit to go.
All best Rod
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:23 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,466 Posts
Thanks Roddie...I'm going to push forward and try and make some serious progress
on the landing gear today. WOW the Sunderland that's a flying Hotel and would be quite the project keep me posted if you start a build on that one would love to follow your progress w/ that build if you post in these forums.

Bruce
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:28 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,466 Posts
Alright I worked on this landing gear all day and just glued in the AFT mount w/ gorilla glue so I'm letting it dry be for trying my tests but everything looks like it should work fine but I've thought that be for SO I'M NOT GETTING MY HOPES UP YET! Once I get everything working the way I want it I think a tack w/ the solder iron on each joint where the set screws are will be a good idea there to many parts that can move otherwise. And I still have to put on hooks for the springs to connect to the gear, that will assisted the movement of the servo/ landing gear.
Here's what I did today
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:04 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
188 Posts
Bruce, Landing gear looking good, Copying the pics to review once I complete the Flaps. So thanks for detailed photos.
Had a close look at your Flap Actuator and I understand how it works. The one I have has a problem in getting the wire through the flap to locate it. Not sure how the second flap would work once the first is complete and in position. So I will change it to something like yours with the connector on the outside, Will make things easier.
Love your build room Jealous
See yer Rod
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:52 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,466 Posts
Roddie I'm glad the photos are helping you, when you get to the landing gear the spring makes all of the difference and you won't need a real powerful servo.

I'm going to change mine out to a regular servo and save the HS-5645MG's for my P-38 landing gear.

I went back this evening and installed the spring and it does almost all of the work, the servo just starts the movement and holds it in the locked position.

I have a funeral to go to tomorrow but by the end of the weekend I'll post some video and more photos hopefully w/ both FLAPS & GEAR working

Bruce
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:19 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
188 Posts
Bruce Yep I have been looking at other builds to see how they have completed theirs. With the Flaps I changed my approach because to get the first flap in position takes a bit of care. Then it becomes complex to fit the second. Changing the connection from BT's to a similar one like yours makes it easy to fit both independenly. So thanks.
All best Rod.