HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:25 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Palos Verdes
Joined Sep 2012
12 Posts
AS TO "tip stall"...reason for building in a tiny bit of washout **, yes??

(**) :washout:= angle of attack, at the wingtips, less than near the root.

(**)This, aerodynamically, keeps any stall closer to the root, (based on angle of attack) and thus, retains aileron authority (presuming ailerons are closest to wingtips, as is conventional). In a "deep stall", all bets are off, and aerodynamics are different, of course.

Or, more simply....don't fly too slow!! (LOL....hard to judge, with our models, I realize)...
767Captain is offline Find More Posts by 767Captain
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:42 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2003
142 Posts
Yep, washout is a must. Even the full size has it. You can do it with changing the wing section, but a little twist is easier.
Toast is offline Find More Posts by Toast
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:16 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,599 Posts
What's been going on here w/ the other Mossie builds? I've been away for a few days but will start back up again tomorrow let me see if I can remember where I was and get back into the flow once again.

Bruce
splinterz25 is online now Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:58 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
189 Posts
Hi Bruce, hope all is well with you and you are enjoying life. On the build I have been progressing steadily on the build, PLANKING!!!! Have reached the time to put in the servos, tail wheel etc.... I found out that the local war Museum has a Mosquito (not flying) so I have been taking many photos of the tail wheel assembly. (Its up in the air so I connot get to the cockpit) Then looked around at what was on offer and what was required to retro fit. Finally decided to make my own. After many drawings, mock-ups I am down to making the assembly for real. Will take shots as I progress and post later.

All best Rod
Roddie is offline Find More Posts by Roddie
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:43 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
Hi Bruce, hope all is well with you and you are enjoying life. On the build I have been progressing steadily on the build, PLANKING!!!! Have reached the time to put in the servos, tail wheel etc.... I found out that the local war Museum has a Mosquito (not flying) so I have been taking many photos of the tail wheel assembly. (Its up in the air so I connot get to the cockpit) Then looked around at what was on offer and what was required to retro fit. Finally decided to make my own. After many drawings, mock-ups I am down to making the assembly for real. Will take shots as I progress and post later.

All best Rod
Good to here your still working on your build I couldn't get started today maybe tomorrow my minds just hasn't been into it here lately. I look forward to your updates and photos.

Bruce
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:30 PM
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2012
32 Posts
Hi Bruce:

Looking forward to seeing progress on your project. I imagine that there will be fewer distractions now that "building season" (i.e. Winter) is here? We don't have such a thing out here; we have good (warm) flying weather almost the entire year so sometimes it is a choice between building or flying...

I recently posted some pictures and other information for my 81" Brian Taylor Mosquito. Here is the link to the thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1764411

So now I have stuff posted for both the 81" and the 124" versions.

Tom
TRWolf is offline Find More Posts by TRWolf
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:56 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRWolf View Post
Hi Bruce:

Looking forward to seeing progress on your project. I imagine that there will be fewer distractions now that "building season" (i.e. Winter) is here? We don't have such a thing out here; we have good (warm) flying weather almost the entire year so sometimes it is a choice between building or flying...

I recently posted some pictures and other information for my 81" Brian Taylor Mosquito. Here is the link to the thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1764411

So now I have stuff posted for both the 81" and the 124" versions.

Tom
Outstanding work Tom I'm going to push my self tomorrow and see about gluing those FLAP actuators it and running a test and get back into the swing of things once again.

Bruce
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:50 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,599 Posts
I know I haven't given you guys much to look at here lately but I was given this link to a bunch of very nice old photos of WW2 WAR BIRDS check them out I've only looked at a few myself tell me what your thinking and looking forward to seeing some of you other Mossie builders post some photos of your builds.
http://www.mission4today.com/index.p...ish=15&start=0

trying to get back to my build,

Bruce
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:23 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
189 Posts
Bruce, have tried several rear wheel assemblies and finall y have one to show you. Still building it so do look at the drills holding it to gether. It fits within the tail assembly supports and has retracts, turning and shock absorber. This came about because the real Rear wheel has a two stage retract. Fist it lifts the wheel up then tilts for final retract. Tried to figure how to do this had all sorts of levers and finally took the easy path so it basically is similar to Brian Taylors with a couple of additions.
Will be away for awhile as going the see the christmas lights in Europe. So have a great christams and I hope next year bring all you would like and hope for.
See you Rod
Roddie is offline Find More Posts by Roddie
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Jun 2007
480 Posts
Great pics Bruce, i wonder what the guy in the front of the B-26 is smoking in one of the first pics!
rupert the bear is online now Find More Posts by rupert the bear
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:49 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,599 Posts
Thanks Roddie have a great Christmas trip to Europe your tail wheel gear is coming right along you have certainly been doing more than I have lately my new friend has me going and doing every weekend and during the week as well but it's a good thing I'm getting to meet new people and have been out dancing and dinning

rupert the photos I have seen there very nice I think there from time & life magazines photographers and as far as the guy in the front of the B-26 I think he's smoking fag not a joint not many people did that sort of thing back then but being in that seat who could blame him if it was a joint.

Bruce
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:20 PM
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Mar 2012
51 Posts
I guess I'll have to go to this airshow... less than a 2 hour drive to see the Mossie in action

http://www.wings.org.nz/latest_news/index.htm#mossie
grahamj4 is offline Find More Posts by grahamj4
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:11 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,599 Posts
You guys are lucky to have the chance to see her fly first I hope they have a show here in the states when she comes home to Va. Beach, I would love to hear those twin Merlin's go racing by . Be for they put her inside.

Bruce
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:02 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2003
142 Posts
I bet after 5 million bucks the owner will want it in the air as much as possible! Ya gotta see it. Stunning!
Toast is offline Find More Posts by Toast
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:57 PM
Joined Apr 2012
48 Posts
I know it seems silly, but did'nt I see somewhere that they wer'nt allowed to fly wooden aircraft in the USA?
joneswag is offline Find More Posts by joneswag